James Neal's dig at NJ

RSC

It obviously wasn't 100% serious, but I figured I'd throw it up here. I guess our lack of fan support does some good things to lulling opposing teams to sleep? :P

But is it possible to play “Penguin hockey” night in and night out during the regular season? Can you always get up to play such a physical system?

Let’s say a Sunday afternoon in New Jersey, when the only people there are 12 [Devils fans] and Ben Lovejoy’s relatives in their Lovejoy jerseys — that’s one where it’s tough to get up to play Pittsburgh Penguin hockey. That’s one you need to dig down deep and find a way to get up for.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/March-2012/The-Real-Deal-With-James-Neal/

You know, now that i think about it, it''s kind of a compliment. I mean why didn't he pick the Islanders? It's almost like a, "I'm thinking about you, you're in my head kind of thing." The attendance jokes never bothered me either. I always felt like it was the only thing other teams could find negative to say about us back in the day. When Rangers fans used it a lot 5-10 or so years ago it was so pathetic. It was like there was no way to argue which team was better, so let's go to home game attendance.

The exchanges would go like this:

Rangers fan: F you Devils fan

Devils Fan: (smiles)

Rangers Fan: Devils suck

Devils Fan: standings bro...check 'em...

Rangers Fan: Well...no one's there (to see you kick our asses)

Edited by ben00rs

Probably my favorite moment being at the Rock was the first throwback game on St. Patrick's day vs. the Pens. Too bad he wasn't there then with 17,625 screaming "YOU CAN'T BEAT US," as loud as possible.

I dunno about that. There was that game a couple years ago, I believe it was in January of '09 where we came from behind to beat the Pens. That was probably the best game vs the Pens that we've had since we moved to the Rock. I think it was the day we honored Doc for winning a couple NY Emmy's and being inducted into the HOF as well or something along those lines.

Penguins hockey = riding the coat-tails of two of the greatest players in the world in order to get a contract extension.

See Dupuis, Pascal; Kunitz, Chris; Neal, James.

*addendum: okay, yes, Neal is a very talented forward capable of scoring goals - but he didn't put up these numbers as consistently when he was in Dallas, even when skating with Richards, Ribeiro, Benn, etc.

What a twat. Every game he's played in NJ has been a sellout. His next game here will be st patty's day at 1pm, saturday afternoon - another sellout and raucous atmosphere. Hes barely been in Pittsburgh a year and he's talking about Penguins hockey and attendance? He came from Dallas! And, does he know the Pens almost moved because they werent drawing flies?

I was going to post this in the Leafs GDT thread but I often think our fanbase doesnt get enough credit. Yeah we dont fill the barn every game but our fans are loud.

In comparison, the ACC is a funeral home (like most canadian rinks)! What a sterile, quiet, soul-less arena that is. Sure, its full, but seats are empty half of the period, there are few chants, people dont even stand up when a goal is scored, the PA guy sounds constipated with his accent, theres no organ, suits everywhere, etc...I'm sure the Rock is a much better atmosphere.

Edited by devlman