Has anyone flown recently out of newark?

Satans Hockey

I'll be taking a flight out of Newark in the next month for the first time since they started using these body scanners. I don't want this thread to turn political, just looking to see what others experiences have been like.

Have they been making everyone go through those body scanners? I'm going to opt out of going through one because I don't trust the radiation levels on them. I'd rather take my chances getting a free feel up. Has anyone else opted out?

Edited by Satans Hockey

I haven't flown through Newark in years, but have flown out of Baltimore, L.A., El Paso and Sea-Tac within the last year. All of these airports had multiple lines, with most still using the old school metal detectors and only one or two using the full body scanner. I have no idea if Newark is the same.

I just used Newark at the beginning of this month. They had the old scanners out but off to the side and forced everyone through the full body scanners. My buddy got selected (after the full body scanner) for the additional pat down and i'll just say this, ridiculously invasive and not even remotely private.

Going forward I'm going to make sure I only use airports with traditional scanners.

Edit: I also flew out of lagaurdia in mid-january and they had gave you the option of which lane to pick, I haven't used JFK in a few years.

Edited by squishyx

I flew out of Newark last summer and didn't have to go through it, it was still the old style. I flew Continental, don't remember the gate (I don't fly often).

I did have to go through them in Chicago on my way home, though. I was too exhausted to even think to opt out. Hopefully I can still have kids someday.

Thanks for posting everyone, I'm amazed that it seems a lot of people don't choose to opt out of the full body scanners. I'm still going to go through the pat down if they try to make me go through one of those full body scanners. I don't really want anyone touching me but it beats walking into something that we don't really know what kind of damage, if any that it could cause us.

My buddy got selected (after the full body scanner) for the additional pat down and i'll just say this, ridiculously invasive and not even remotely private.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they do? and what airline were you using?

I fly on average twice a month out of Newark. I've never been put through the body scanner there, they're not even on half the time. I have quite often gotten it at other airports though.

To avoid it, you either want to catch the line when its super busy ot its super slow. They tend to rush everyone through to catch up when busy and those body scanners slow things down. On the flip side if they're slow they tend to skip it a lot too. Honestly, I thought it was a big joke when it was in the news because there was no big change from what I saw/experienced. Just a bit a typical fear mongering IMO.

If you are flyting United Terminal C (which I do 99% of the time), go through security on the far end where the Gold Status check-in desk is. Its almost always quicker and sometimes deserted because most people try and jam though the middle where the non-elite check in desks are.

FWIW, I've gone through the full body scanner at least once or twice. No extra arms or anything yet. I figure cell phones give off radiation, and that thing is either pressed next to my brain or in my pocket next to my junk most of the day, so a three-second scan can't be much worse. And I know they say heat is the only risk, but I still wonder what damage all those hours of having my laptop on my lap might be doing.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they do? and what airline were you using?

I flew Alaska Airlines which partners with Delta so I think we are at that terminal but I'm not completely sure. There are multiple security points as mxm262 said, but we had no other option for our flight. It was at 6 in the morning too so pretty dead and they still had the scanners out.

He basically got rubbed down on every square inch and what I thought crossed the line was when they ran two fingers inside your pants waistband, I can't imagine what they are looking for there my guess is they do that so you stop asking for pat downs. It wasn't a quick 30 second thing, it took a good 5 minutes, but the agent did stop a bunch of times to explain exactly what he was doing and where he was going to be touching.

I flew Alaska Airlines which partners with Delta so I think we are at that terminal but I'm not completely sure. There are multiple security points as mxm262 said, but we had no other option for our flight. It was at 6 in the morning too so pretty dead and they still had the scanners out.

He basically got rubbed down on every square inch and what I thought crossed the line was when they ran two fingers inside your pants waistband, I can't imagine what they are looking for there my guess is they do that so you stop asking for pat downs. It wasn't a quick 30 second thing, it took a good 5 minutes, but the agent did stop a bunch of times to explain exactly what he was doing and where he was going to be touching.

Thanks everyone, I know some people aren't comfortable with getting that much of a pat down, honestly I could less, they can grab whatever they feel like as long as I don't have to step into that machine.

Maybe I'll even bring a few singles with me so I can tip the agent if they give me a good frisking hahaha

My sister just flew out of Newark last week. She says she went through the regular metal detectors; she couldn't remember if the full-body scanners were even turned on. If the time matters, her flight left at around 6 PM, and I think she went through security 60-90 minutes beforehand.