GDT: Devils vs. Rags

ZeroGravityFat

This isn't even one of those games where we look back and say "well Lundqvist stole this game". He may have gotten the shutout but he barely had to do anything.

..hang on a second.. what we witnessed here tonight, was something that had only happened 4 other times in league history. *Courtesy WFAN; "This is only the 5th time in NHL history a starting goalie has made 39 saves or less, in the span of 3 games!" 13 saves tonight, 12 against Tampa, 14 against Vancouver.

I know our offense is going to take a beating from the fans.. but let's be real! This is the 3rd game in a row we're holding other teams to 15 shots! The defense is blocking practically every shot that comes Marty's way. (the likes of 1999) What does OUR goalie gotta do to steal a game?! 10 shots? 8 shots? :noclue:

I'm gonna tone down my normal rant here and say I'm not even mad.

I'm so used to us losing to the team and goalie over the past 6 years that its all been said and done.

We tried adding someone like Kovalchuck to the line up and we still can't score on him and we won't for years to come.

It's very clear this team is still missing that certain something. The Devils aren't getting creamed in these losses but it's very easy to tell that they're lucky to be where they are right now.

With that said, I had bad feelings about all 3 prior games. They are not losing to Boston. Mark my words. Not. Losing to Boston.

had to listen to this one on the radio , dont know if that was worse than watching.

18 blocked shots, maybe its time to head hunt them from the point :burn:overall it sounded like a fairly even contest

Not really...Rangers really did a good job stuffing them and taking passes away, as well as blocking shots (as the 18 blocked shots will attest). What kind of sucked was, despite the close score, the Rangers clearly had a blueprint and were able to execute it very well...the Devils seemed powerless to do anything about it. That 1-0 lead felt like 3-0 or 4-0 for most of the game...you got the impression the Rangers knew the Devils were not going to tie that game up. And then there's the whole Lundqvist factor...it seemed like there were at least 5 instances where a Devil had a shot opportunity, thought to himself "this won't be good enough to beat Henrik", then tried to make an ill-advised extra pass. It was a very tough watch.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

A couple observations:

- For all the strides he's made this year, Clarkson is still a moron. Except now he's a moron who's 2nd on the team in goal-scoring. We need him on the ice, not in the box. Cool off, doofus.

- Parise was invisible. Kovalchuk was creating something every time he touched the puck and Henrique had a couple prime chances. But Parise? Totally invisible.

- The play that personified the game for me was Elias all alone on the doorstep making a no-look pass to no one. Too fancy. In a game where shots are hard to come by, you take the damn shot.

Frustrating game. But, in the end, it came down to them getting a good bounce and us getting no bounces (or calls). It's a three-game losing streak, but only one of those losses was a clearly inferior effort. Pick up, dust off, and get to it on Thursday.

• Like 1

...it seemed like there were at least 5 instances where a Devil had a shot opportunity, thought to himself "this won't be good enough to beat Henrik", then tried to make an ill-advised extra pass.

Exactly what I thought as well. The one that stands out was when elias stripped the D of the puck was out all alone in front....and passed it.

There was a lot of scenarios where i saw the passes where like 2 feet off the mark, as if they were trying to hurry the pass instead of taking a extra half second to make it accurate.

Edited by lucifer91

Worst passing game since pre-season. Two games in a row I hadn't noticed Patty out there. Peter forgot to tell Clarkie that he's the teams Ranger killer (scoring wise). Kovy went back to his fumbling the last couple of games. All in all, except for Marty getting caught leaning the wrong way, we had a tie. I'm jsut concerned about the lousy passing. That's 2 games in a row now. You can make up for it by shooting and jamming the net. They did neither.

We're a total Jeckyll and Hyde team. One game to the next you never know. One minute our top scorers are shooting, the next game it's like they lost all their confidence.

very true..... which makes our fan base bipolar too! LOL

couldn't watch it, and don't think I will...

but I read that the 2nd period got feisty? Did we really deserve a PP or two and got shafted? Nevertheless, we should be winning games without crying for a PP.. I hope we at least stood our ground in the physicality of the game.

..hang on a second.. what we witnessed here tonight, was something that had only happened 4 other times in league history. *Courtesy WFAN; "This is only the 5th time in NHL history a starting goalie has made 39 saves or less, in the span of 3 games!" 13 saves tonight, 12 against Tampa, 14 against Vancouver.

I know our offense is going to take a beating from the fans.. but let's be real! This is the 3rd game in a row we're holding other teams to 15 shots! The defense is blocking practically every shot that comes Marty's way. (the likes of 1999) What does OUR goalie gotta do to steal a game?! 10 shots? 8 shots? :noclue:

He let in one goal and they got shutout... Was he supposed to win zero to negative one?

• Like 1

I'm thinking they'll beat themselves up over this one and move on and get back to winning. Bottom line here is that they flat out beat themselves with dopey passes they shouldn't have made, and a few spectacular passes to the slot which just happened to be empty. You can't do that agaist a team above you.

So, I don't think the Rags beat us so much as we gave them a big hand here. Same thing in the W/L column, but I think we bounce back - there's plenty of talent in the room.

Edited by jim777

A couple observations:

- For all the strides he's made this year, Clarkson is still a moron. Except now he's a moron who's 2nd on the team in goal-scoring.

LOL, as I said I listened to it on the radio and at the first intermission they interviewed Marty with silly questions. they asked him who was the best dressed and he said "certainly not clarkson" then they asked him who was the smartest on the ice, and he said"again, certainly not clarksy" LMAO

BTW AGAIN, Larsson said he couldnt feel his legs after the PK Subban hit into the boards!!!! and feared the worst!!! how scary is THAT! come to think of it, he didnt move for like 1-2 mins on the ice

This is Parises worst season in the NHL (discounting his rookie campaign). His timing is off, his shot is off, his instincts around the puck are off. He's usually the king of garbage goals, but this year he's taken up recycling.

He let in one goal and they got shutout... Was he supposed to win zero to negative one?

He probably meant equal Lundqvist's performance and shut out the Rangers in regulation, and at least get the game to OT. That's a lot to ask.

He's also making too much of the low shot totals, as they don't indicate quality of shots. Low shot totals aren't always indicative of lack of scoring chances.

I can't really make much of a case for the Devils deserving to win that one...Rangers did outplay them.

This is Parises worst season in the NHL (discounting his rookie campaign). His timing is off, his shot is off, his instincts around the puck are off. He's usually the king of garbage goals, but this year he's taken up recycling.

Based on what I've seen this year, I definitely think it's not a slamdunk that the Devils should just sign him to an "at any cost" superstar deal. I'm not saying to just let him walk without making an offer, but if someone else wants to give him the moon and the stars, I don't the think Devils should match it.

This rivalry is intense. Refs were atrocious and didnt control the game. They let the tripping, holding and hooking go unabated last night and made an example out of Clarkson. Its like they wanted to give the Rangers a game back for last time. Btw, it was the same two refs.

• Like 2

we have no other option on the snakebite line, except insert center here, i think even elias is like aw nah not these two.

the passing has been a cow pie for more than last night

only thing is if marty doesnt let that in then the devs dont spend the rest of the game preventing 2-0...it doesnt matter, someone said we need to pressure hanky and why not run him like hes some kind of glass menagerie.

This rivalry is intense. Refs were atrocious and didnt control the game. They let the tripping, holding and hooking go unabated last night and made an example out of Clarkson. Its like they wanted to give the Rangers a game back for last time. Btw, it was the same two refs.

The reffing was a joke. All they were intent on doing was finding a valid excuse for kicking Clarkson out and not caring about all the shenanigans the Rangers were pulling all game. The Rangers are pretty much the Flyers in blue when it comes to their style of "lets act like douchebags on the ice and when we get caught cry about it." We decided to get physical (ok, so Clarkson left his feet, but still a hit that needed to happen) and we got picked on all night. It's just disgusting how the game degrades when we play them sometimes - especially in MSG. Tart-arella and the crowd seem to sway the refs, half the crap they pull goes unnoticed and everytime there's a fight, the ref gives US the instigator (whether warranted or not) and god forbid you say anything to the ref, whether you wear a letter or not, he gets all huffy you'd dare to question his judgement and gives you a misconduct.

That aside, we had some good opportunities, just got snakebitten. The puck got to the shooter like .1 seconds too late and the shot hits someone in front, or Queen sees it just fast enough. It was frustrating to watch. It could have easily just been our puck control, but the ice at MSG seems to be in $h!t condition a lot. I see it in games where other teams play them there. The puck bounces too much, gets caught up in something, people overskate because they don't expect the puck to stop, slow down abruptly or take a weird change of direction just as they get there. We just need to overcome it, not let them get in our heads and not worry about consequences. it's all in your head, just do it and don't think about it.

The reffing was a joke. All they were intent on doing was finding a valid excuse for kicking Clarkson out and not caring about all the shenanigans the Rangers were pulling all game. The Rangers are pretty much the Flyers in blue when it comes to their style of "lets act like douchebags on the ice and when we get caught cry about it." We decided to get physical (ok, so Clarkson left his feet, but still a hit that needed to happen) and we got picked on all night. It's just disgusting how the game degrades when we play them sometimes - especially in MSG. Tart-arella and the crowd seem to sway the refs, half the crap they pull goes unnoticed and everytime there's a fight, the ref gives US the instigator (whether warranted or not) and god forbid you say anything to the ref, whether you wear a letter or not, he gets all huffy you'd dare to question his judgement and gives you a misconduct.

Fascism at its best.

I agree with all your points though. Tortarella seemed to whine more then he usually does. I cant stand it. Every time they seemed to show him on the camera, he was yelling to the refs about something. Loved the penalty to Clarkson, they show Clarkson skating to the box confused, DeBoer confused and Larry showing 2 on his hands then Tort showing 5 then all of a sudden both hands were up indicating 10 then the refs gave him a 10. The first two min of the game were 2 icings that somehow brought the faceoff back to center ice 2 different times. and yes, every time someone questioned the official, they seemed to give them a penalty. Rupp yanking Clarksons foot out from under him in the faceoff and then Clarkson swinging his stick to get away and then both get a penalty? Prust cross checking Clarkson int he back then wanting to fight but not dropping his gloves so Clarkson got the extra was crap too.

We got yanked all game. Elias missing the basically open net and then 2 shots off the post didnt help either.

Edited by Quinn01

I hate losing to those self-important pieces of crap, but does anyone really think we can't play with that team and beat them in a playoff series? Sometimes the bounces go your way and, other times they don't. Last night, we got unlucky with the post shots, missed open nets by Elias and Henrique, and a few bad bounces that took away scoring chances. The 2 games we played them before that, we got the breaks and won. That alone goes to show you how evenly matched these 2 teams are.

For me, our 4 games against the Rangers this season has showed that, if they are the best team in the East, we aren't really that far behind and can take them out if we meet in the playoffs. Time to move on and focus on beating the Bruins for the first time this year.