GDT: Devils @ Islanders 3/4/12

Mayday

This one really bothered me for some reason. To go flat in an obvious trap game last Sunday at home is one thing, to be flat AGAIN a week later against a quasi-rival who you know is going to compete is something else. Especially after you've just recently lost four in a row. On the one hand it's a good thing they have a cushion, but this is also a problem twofold:

A) They're playing like they know they have a cushion now...if it wasn't for Marty this game was 5-0 easy.

B) They cannot beat the Rangers or Bruins (at least not in the first round), and thus really need to finish 6 or above.

Edited by NJDevs4978

He hasn't won the game for us either. Start Moose Tuesday not because Marty sucked or he sucks against the Rangers, blah blah blah, but maybe the team will actually show up for Moose.

lol whatever. When Marty doesn't play well he's old and needs to sit for the better of the team. When Marty does play well he still sucks cause the team doesn't play for him. How about Kovy and Elias doing something? Have they been on IR the last two weeks? Clarkson was basically the only forward I had any hope of scoring, and that's a problem when your supposed big three are supposed to be your best offensive players. But it's all Marty's fault we get shut out by a fifth-string goalie.

We went 23-8-3 with Marty starting the majority of the games but they don't play for him. God, I love this place :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Thats fine but you cant fault Marty in this game..the goal he let in was a little soft but he more than made up for it with other saves.

Soft? That was basically a miracle shot by Okposo while Volcheknov had him tied up. He got it off in a good spot though, certainly not a soft goal. Just an unlikely one. One we ain't getting because we weren't going to the ****ing net.

lol whatever. When Marty doesn't play well he's old and needs to sit for the better of the team. When Marty does play well he still sucks cause the team doesn't play for him. How about Kovy and Elias doing something? Have they been on IR the last two weeks? Clarkson was basically the only forward I had any hope of scoring, and that's a problem when your supposed big three are supposed to be your best offensive players. But it's all Marty's fault we get shut out by a fifth-string goalie.

We went 23-8-3 with Marty starting the majority of the games but they don't play for him. God, I love this place :P

Moose clearly would have given up negative 1 goals.

Soft? That was basically a miracle shot by Okposo while Volcheknov had him tied up. He got it off in a good spot though, certainly not a soft goal. Just an unlikely one. One we ain't getting because we weren't going to the ****ing net.

Maybe soft isnt the rite word...but it was one that shouldnt have happened, more defensive fault than Marty. but I am not blaming Marty at all by no means, he kept the devs in.

Whats with Clarkson making good passes of his strong board work???!!! where did that come from? this is two games in a row for him in the passing dept. that line played well

our first line just could not score, though we kept their top line silent as well

one okposo goal in a phone booth!

For games I've gone to at NVMC:

Devils are 0-2-0 and didn't score a goal in either game

at that rate theyll be knocking on the door by the end of the week...

this is a typical game for the devs lately, as was the last islanders game.

i think this team can win at will, i do.

Uh, I wasn't blaming Marty for the loss. Reread my post. The team relies on him to bail them out wayyy too much.

Edited by Marv4Life

A) They're playing like they know they have a cushion now...if it wasn't for Marty this game was 5-0 easy.

They do this every season, at least every season since 05-06. They even did that last season. We were on a hot streak and totally slumped the last month.

In the past we've had the cushion and we don't right now. These guys need to get it in their head that they gotta play and not cruise this month. Oh, and Marty isn't of the age and skillset to bail them out all the time anymore.

Oh hey I'm back. Just pointing out that Brodeur is unfortunately 0-4-1 in his last 5.

He could have won 1 or 2 of those games but Hedberg needs to start Tuesday.

Also just realized all of these losses have been coming at a 1 goal differential.

This team is insanely strange. Hence a 5-0 win vs. 1-0 loss against a weaker team IMO.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

you pretty much make these threads unreadable for me.

Yeah i tried and others tried to make him understand politely to tone down his emotions.... I mean its ridiculous... The guy joined the forum 2 months and a half ago... And hes already a 1130 posts... And about 90% of them were either useless whining or overjoy comments. And hes blaming the team for being inconsistant... Look at yourself man

Members here went out of their way many times in different thread to tell him that hes annoying and that NO ONE here likes reading his constant bullsh!t... And its always the same response " im a passionate fan.. Bla bla bla"

I mean i feel bad for posting this really but man this guy is becoming so annoying... Now when the devils are losing im getting even more pissed cause I KNOW im gonna have to read all his bullsh!t. I mean yeah we all whine here from time to time obviously, but hes just too much

I REALLY hope this is the last time we have to make him understand... I mean personaly if many members here would have told me that im annoying and all that... Id feel bad and change my way, i wouldnt want to be associated with constant whining and all that overblown emotion all the time

I'm sure Triumph or someone could check the stats, but March hasn't been a very good month for us since 05-06.

They haven't been great, but they haven't been complete disasters either...and they usually pull it together somewhat in April:

'10-'11 8-5-1 (3-3 in April)

'09-'10 7-5-3 (4-2 in April)

'08-'09 7-6-1 (but went 0-4-1 to end the month...4-2 in April)

'07-'08 6-6-1 (3-1 in April)

'06-'07 6-6-2 (3-1 in April)

'05-'06 7-5-3 (9-0 in April)

1-1-1 so far this season, with 14 left to play...coming in I was hoping for 20 points for the month, which means they have 14 games left in the month to come up with 17 points. It won't be easy, but they can do it.

Oh hey I'm back. Just pointing out that Brodeur is unfortunately 0-4-1 in his last 5.

He could have won 1 or 2 of those games but Hedberg needs to start Tuesday.

Also just realized all of these losses have been coming at a 1 goal differential.

This team is insanely strange. Hence a 5-0 win vs. 1-0 loss against a weaker team IMO.

They're not insanely strange. Things are evening out for them.

This team was due for a slump...many of us have pointed out that 23-8-3 surge they enjoyed before this downturn. Are the Devils really so good that they should have been expected to continue to win at that pace? Especially since they had a fair number of breaks going their way at times during that stretch? Tri has pointed this out, and it's true...this team is not really playing THAT much worse than they were before. And speaking in absolutes, like when people say things that amount to "The Devils should automatically beat teams below them in the standings", that stuff just doesn't hold true in a parity-driven league like the NHL anymore. These teams are just not very far apart these days, and any team can beat any other team any given night. You don't see pathetic, almost-no-chance-to-win, 41-point teams like the '83-'84 Devils playing anymore. Bottom-feeders are still not good teams, but they're better now than their past counterparts.

Let's face it, the feeling here for many of us was that this team was going to be a lower seed. And as long as they avoid a complete collapse (that would be 7 or 8 wins the rest of the way), they'll get into the playoffs...and if you think about it, the best seed for them right now might very well be the 6...I don't think they'll enjoy any great home ice advantage if they're the 4, and the 5 will probably put them up against Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.