Rangers/Avery divorce

Devil Fan

I love it. The guy called Clarkson a career minor leaguer. Hey Sean, karma's a b*tch.

The only thing that would make it sweeter if Avery crashes and burns Lenny Dykstra style. Either way, I only wish the worst for him. He's a scumbag through and through, and a no talent waste of space to boot. He should only get what's coming to him.

Enjoy the KHL Sean. Hopefully you go to one of the teams where the owner stiffs you on your paycheck.

Expect a new line of man purses available soon....maybe after he assaults another police officer that comes to his house about noise complaints....

Good Riddance, scumbag!

Lisa: Dad, do you know what schadenfreude is?

Homer: No, I do not know what shaden-frawde is. Please tell me, because I’m dying to know.

Lisa: It’s a German term for “shameful joy,” taking pleasure in the suffering of others.

Homer: Oh, come on, Lisa. I’m just glad to see him fall flat on his butt. He’s usually all happy and comfortable, and surrounded by loved ones, and it makes me feel. … What’s the opposite of that shameful joy thing of yours?

Lisa: Sour grapes.

Homer: Boy, those Germans have a word for everything.

would be willing to be the leafs give him some sort of tryout and a chance to make the team. both he and burke are huge proponents of acceptance of LGBT in professional sports (which is a good cause) + burke loves that kind of player.

i don't think burke loves that kind of player - he's lamented the fact that 'the rats' are taking over the game - players who are dirty but who refuse to fight. avery would be high on everyone's list of rats. with how much burke obsesses over controlling the media, i don't see a chance this happens.

Meh ill miss the gimmicks. Hated him when he played the Devils, but found him funny the rest of the times. He said some terrible things but also said / did alot of funny stuff.

Avery was a solid agitator at the best of times, but wasn't very effective when he wasn't playing on the edge. He always did a number against the Devils especially with Mottau and Clarkson chasing him around every game.

Torts always despised him, and with the team doing so well, it was clear he had no place on that team. Maybe, he just doesn't love hockey. He's not going to be a leader in the AHL, so probably best they parted ways. I'd be disappointed if this was the end of his career.

I thought he has gotten a bad rap along the way. Hockey is an old boys club. These guys are all pretty much personality clowns of one another. He got chased away from the Stars because he was different. Their leaders thought he made no effort to interact with them and clearly didn't like him. What was their big issue again? He listened to music all the time and was on his laptop in the locker room. Maybe, he's been around hockey locker rooms for his entire life and knows he doesn't fit in with the jocks and the locker-room talk.

In New York with Torts, he never had a chance.

Sean Avery is different. There is no question about it. But hasn't he been controversy free in the NHL for years. He's never had an on-ice suspension and the sloppy-seconds suspension in the first place was pretty pathetic when you think about it. I'm interested to see if he'll get another shot in this league, but I think most GMs don't think he can fit in with their team. Hockey and sports don't like different. As the Burke family started the 'You Can Play' initiative this week, I think Avery's history shows how far the NHL is from the goals of the campaign. (By the way, I am not saying Avery is gay. I am just thinking why it be so hard for any athlete to come out in the current environment).

Edited by devilsrule33

if i had to guess, hockey will have the first player come out and i'd bet it's within the next two years.

i think the sport can handle it and i think most hockey fans could as well.

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball. In locker rooms from high school, juniors, college and the pros, words like f*g, f*ggot and h*mo, are second nature. The environment would be fairly uncomfortable for someone who was gay growing up in it for his entire life. Add that to the fact that you'd have to be a trailblazer, I can't see it happening.

When Simmonds called Avery a f*ggot, how many times do you think Avery has heard that? How often do you think that goes on during a normal game? I'd say pretty often. I think players are programmed to call another player in altercation either, a fvcking bitch, fvcking p*ssy or fvcking f*aggot.

Edited by devilsrule33

Avery was a solid agitator at the best of times, but wasn't very effective when he wasn't playing on the edge. He always did a number against the Devils especially with Mottau and Clarkson chasing him around every game.

Torts always despised him, and with the team doing so well, it was clear he had no place on that team. Maybe, he just doesn't love hockey. He's not going to be a leader in the AHL, so probably best they parted ways. I'd be disappointed if this was the end of his career.

I thought he has gotten a bad rap along the way. Hockey is an old boys club. These guys are all pretty much personality clowns of one another. He got chased away from the Stars because he was different. Their leaders thought he made no effort to interact with them and clearly didn't like him. What was their big issue again? He listened to music all the time and was on his laptop in the locker room. Maybe, he's been around hockey locker rooms for his entire life and knows he doesn't fit in with the jocks and the locker-room talk.

In New York with Torts, he never had a chance.

Sean Avery is different. There is no question about it. But hasn't he been controversy free in the NHL for years. He's never had an on-ice suspension and the sloppy-seconds suspension in the first place was pretty pathetic when you think about it. I'm interested to see if he'll get another shot in this league, but I think most GMs don't think he can fit in with their team. Hockey and sports don't like different. As the Burke family started the 'You Can Play' initiative this week, I think Avery's history shows how far the NHL is from the goals of the campaign. (By the way, I am not saying Avery is gay. I am just thinking why it be so hard for any athlete to come out in the current environment).

Sorry, but I'm calling bullsh*t here. Remember this one:

He looks around to make sure the refs aren't looking and does this crap. And his teammates hate him not because he's "different." When your teammate pulls sh*t like that, payback is often directed at you.

His antics might give a team a short-term boost, but in the long run he kills your team.

Again, I only wish the worst for him.

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball. In locker rooms from high school, juniors, college and the pros, words like f*g, f*ggot and ++++, are second nature. The environment would be fairly uncomfortable for someone who was gay growing up in it for his entire life. Add that to the fact that you'd have to be a trailblazer, I can't see it happening.

When Simmonds called Avery a f*ggot, how many times do you think Avery has heard that? How often do you think that goes on during a normal game? I'd say pretty often. I think players are programmed to call another player in altercation either, a fvcking bitch, fvcking p*ssy or fvcking f*aggot.

F*ggot is generic enough that it doesn't necessarily mean homosexual. I'm sure Claude was called that several times in his career, but I don't think anyone really thought he was gay. There's a South Park episode on the matter.

Sorry, but I'm calling bullsh*t here. Remember this one:

He looks around to make sure the refs aren't looking and does this crap. And his teammates hate him not because he's "different." When your teammate pulls sh*t like that, payback is often directed at you.

His antics might give a team a short-term boost, but in the long run he kills your team.

Again, I only wish the worst for him.

That's good agitating. He liked to stir sh!t up. Anything Avery ever did, Lemeiux did 10x worse. Players defend idiots and douchebags to death in this league as those are guys they usually love in the locker room. And I am talking about players who went out doing some cheap sh!t that really hurt guys, not small little things like bumping a goalie.

And I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not liking him as fans. He's pissed off a lot of teams, players and fans by doing things like that. I'd expect pretty much anyone to hate him and for good reason. Still a lot better than the things we have seen Pronger and Cooke do in the past.

F*ggot is generic enough that it doesn't necessarily mean homosexual. I'm sure Claude was called that several times in his career, but I don't think anyone really thought he was gay. There's a South Park episode on the matter.

I'm guilty of using it in high school sports. It's just an insult that flows off the tongue well. The common thing is calling someone a "fvcking fa**ot". Im not homophobic in any way, but it just the way things are

dr33: this overlooks the fact that avery is just not very good anymore. he's not that old but he has played a very physical style of hockey. the refs are on to him - by the end he was no longer drawing penalties at the same rate. and tortorella was on to him as well - his last full year in new york, the games i watched, there were too many games where he wasn't getting involved. if avery is being successful, you shouldn't have to ask 'did avery play tonight?' you should know.

did you forget about the time avery took 3 minor penalties in a playoff game against the capitals? and that was when avery was still a halfway decent player.

did you forget about when shanahan told him to 'lose my number, i'm tired of hearing you complain about your teammates?'

did you forget when he supposedly made fun of dustin brown's stutter?

did you forget the story that stan fischler told where he was heckling islanders GM garth snow after a game, for what seemed like absolutely no reason?

with all his baggage and the fact that he's a 4th line player, his time in the league is done. hockey has a lot of problems with the notion of team - the fact that foreign players often get a raw deal, the need to have enforcers, etc. - but here, i think they're right. avery has run out of chances.

Edited by Triumph

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball.

Wait, hockey is one of the most homophobic sports? Guys kiss each other on the lips sometimes, if they're both French Canadian, to celebrate. I don't see that happening in other sports.

Avery's problem with not being in the NHL is hockey related, nothing else, IMO. If people thought they'd win more with Avery then he'd be playing somewhere.

dr33: this overlooks the fact that avery is just not very good anymore. he's not that old but he has played a very physical style of hockey. the refs are on to him - by the end he was no longer drawing penalties at the same rate. and tortorella was on to him as well - his last full year in new york, the games i watched, there were too many games where he wasn't getting involved. if avery is being successful, you shouldn't have to ask 'did avery play tonight?' you should know.

did you forget about the time avery took 3 minor penalties in a playoff game against the capitals? and that was when avery was still a halfway decent player.

did you forget about when shanahan told him to 'lose my number, i'm tired of hearing you complain about your teammates?'

did you forget when he supposedly made fun of dustin brown's stutter?

did you forget the story that stan fischler told where he was heckling islanders GM garth snow after a game, for what seemed like absolutely no reason?

with all his baggage and the fact that he's a 4th line player, his time in the league is done. hockey has a lot of problems with the notion of team - the fact that foreign players often get a raw deal, the need to have enforcers, etc. - but here, i think they're right. avery has run out of chances.

I 100% agree with all of this. I don't think Avery is very good anymore either and probably not worth the headaches that come with it, but he is still good enough to play in the league, I haven't heard that he was a problem this year with the Rangers though. Torts really never wanted him there, and with the team playing so well, he probably made it clear to Sather that we don't need him at all, and I won't be playing him.

He has done a lot of dumb sh!t in his time. My main argument though was he just got a raw deal in Dallas, and probably this season in the Rangers. He's got some issues and who knows where it comes from. Shanahan clearly took a liking to him in New York and tried to help him. The Wings players loved him when he was just coming into the league and is one of the reasons why Hull signed him. Some solid veterans saw some things in him. Who knows what's wrong with him, but it was clear Torts really never wanted anything to do with him.

I 100% agree with all of this. I don't think Avery is very good anymore either and probably not worth the headaches that come with it, but he is still good enough to play in the league, I haven't heard that he was a problem this year with the Rangers though. Torts really never wanted him there, and with the team playing so well, he probably made it clear to Sather that we don't need him at all, and I won't be playing him.

He has done a lot of dumb sh!t in his time. My main argument though was he just got a raw deal in Dallas, and probably this season in the Rangers. He's got some issues and who knows where it comes from. Shanahan clearly took a liking to him in New York and tried to help him. The Wings players loved him when he was just coming into the league and is one of the reasons why Hull signed him. Some solid veterans saw some things in him. Who knows what's wrong with him, but it was clear Torts really never wanted anything to do with him.

you can't ignore that avery was a nearly $2M cap hit and is a 4th liner.

and that's the risk you run when you sign a large contract. if things go wrong, you might end up buried in the minor leagues or in europe. i could see a desperate team giving him a tryout next year (islanders maybe?).