The Race For 6th Thread

Triumph

I will say this, first round ticket prices are going to shock the crap out of you.. STH cost is $46 for uppers an balconies.. The head of ticket sales said they are betting on the Devils not playing the Panthers or Jets, so they priced it to capitalize on a sexier opponent

Obviously winning is most important, but finances are still a concern.. If they have to discount tickets because of the opponent then they better credit the STH or dookie will hit the fan

$46 is a little higher than I thought, but not by much. You think they are pricing this in anticipation of a first round exit too?

The only advantage pricing playoffs in anticipation of an early exit gets you is a 'little' bank interest and a few extra bucks in 2-3 games. Even if you're talking about $6-7 million dollars of potential playoff gate, that's basically a couple hundred thousand interest. I doubt that's going to make or break them either way. If Colin says he was told by someone high up they're pricing for opponent I'd take that at face value but yeah that could backfire badly.

Maybe not too badly if the opponent winds up being the Caps or Bruins, but if it's any other SE team or Ottawa somehow, well the joke'll be on them when they can't even discount tickets because that'll annoy the STH's to no end. Tonight was an example of what happens when you price the sth value so high you can't offer discounts.

Come to think of it, they offered the cheer now, pay later that like 95% of STH's probably took since their 'incentive' for paying now wasn't much of one so it's not like they're getting a lot of money in advance anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

After the last two wins against the flyers. I'm not worried about them in the playoffs

the flyers will be a different team than what we saw last night - they will have bryz in goal and timmonen and meszaros on defense. that is a better team. that being said, i would be kinda ok playing them.

I will say this, first round ticket prices are going to shock the crap out of you.. STH cost is $46 for uppers an balconies.. The head of ticket sales said they are betting on the Devils not playing the Panthers or Jets, so they priced it to capitalize on a sexier opponent

Obviously winning is most important, but finances are still a concern.. If they have to discount tickets because of the opponent then they better credit the STH or dookie will hit the fan

do the devils "buy" some of the tickets themselves and resell on stubhub? because if they drew the rangers in round 1, they would absolutely make more on that (to a lesser extent with PIT and PHI). i would agree that the 6 seed draws the worst possible opponent from a gate perspective. they would sell out vs every other alternative other than ottawa.

The problem with playing the Flyers is PDB will be compelled to go with the goon line again, especially if Zajac is still in witness protection by the time the playoffs start. We got away with it last night somehow but I still hate the Boulton-Janssen fourth line.

i doubt it - the playoffs are a very different animal. if the flyers want to dress a 4th line of goons, i'll happily throw carter-zajac-bernier at them.

as a Mets fan I will always remember the 1988 playoff loss to the dodgers, we had beaten them 10 of 11 reg season, then scioscia

The Devils have shown the ability to beat any EC team, they've also shown the ability to LOSE to any EC team. be careful what you wish for that 6 seed may be fighting for a PO spot and would come in hardened with nothing to lose.

I'll take on anyone

BTW Crosby's return can be short lived!! :burn: a little boarding here, a little charging there..

Edited by EdgeControl

BIG night in the race for sixth. While I wasn't hoping for a loss, it's pretty good news.

Team Pts GR

PHI 87 13

NJD 85 12

OTT 81 12

Hopefully Bryzgalov can keep up his good play for the time being.

Obviously no sure things, but after last night, even though it was just one game, I'm convinced the best chance for the Devils to make any noise in the playoffs is going to be as a #6. No guarantee they win that series either, but I think I'd at least make them the favorite in such a series. I don't think I could do that against the Penguins or Flyers in a first-round series. If I had to make a prediction for those series today, I'd have to say Devils lose either series in 6 games if it's a first rounder...but if the Devils get a series win under their belts and a little playoff confidence going, I'd definitely give them a better chance against whoever they face in the second round.

Obviously no sure things, but after last night, even though it was just one game, I'm convinced the best chance for the Devils to make any noise in the playoffs is going to be as a #6. No guarantee they win that series either, but I think I'd at least make them the favorite in such a series. I don't think I could do that against the Penguins or Flyers in a first-round series. If I had to make a prediction for those series today, I'd have to say Devils lose either series in 6 games if it's a first rounder...but if the Devils get a series win under their belts and a little playoff confidence going, I'd definitely give them a better chance against whoever they face in the second round.

Completely agree…matchups matter A LOT. Look how who we played in ’03 helped us later on vs. OTT. (and the bad match-ups since)

Playing Rangers early would leave nothing in the tank, and Ibelieve the same goes for Philly. Pitt w/ Crosby is a VERY hard out. Boston hasour number. Though a 2 seed vs. 7 seed with Sens vs. Devils is possible if Bosplays like crap much longer.

Give me Florida in Round 1, if we can’t beat them we don’t deserve to move on. (Plus I doubt we would have fared much better against anyother top seed anyway.)

Edited by John Wensink

Yup, IT WAS ONE GAME!!! we looked like world beaters on Sunday and they looked great last night. just give 110% against whomever

The Devils similarly spanked the Flyers on Sunday night, so I have no idea why your takeaway from this game would be that the Devils can't take the Flyers.

The Devils similarly spanked the Flyers on Sunday night, so I have no idea why your takeaway from this game would be that the Devils can't take the Flyers.

On Sunday, Philly was not playing their #1 goalie and missing 2 "Dmen" that played yesterday. I think the difference was noticeable. That being said I think we can win any match up or lose any one too if we don't play hard.

A hunch. By the numbers, the Devils were 3-3 against the Flyers, and like you said, they did beat the Flyers convincingly on Sunday. I didn't say that the Devils COULDN'T take the Flyers...I just think the Flyers would win a first round matchup.

On Sunday, Philly was not playing their #1 goalie and missing 2 "Dmen" that played yesterday. I think the difference was noticeable. That being said I think we can win any match up or lose any one too if we don't play hard.

Would playing their #1 goalie have made any difference? They got run. Yeah, they got some guys back in the lineup and I'm sure that helped, but the Devils also played lousy and that happens.

It's really moot because I can't see how the Flyers and Devils meet in the 1st round.

Edited by Triumph

nj.com: 5 questions facing the Devils...

1. Does it matter where they finish?

Without question. The Devils wouldn’t mind staying right where they are, in sixth place, and facing the Florida Panthers in the first round. They’d be out of the media glare with a chance to build up some steam. Dropping to eighth and facing the Rangers might be exciting, but it would be a roll of the dice, and facing the Bruins would likely mean an early playoff exit.

I have to agree here. If we want to make it deeper than the first round this year, we're better off playing Florida. They're only in because they're a division leader in a weak division. Sure, we could catch that disease where we take them for granted as an easy win, and they could come out and pound us, but if we take them as serious as any real opponent we should do fine. I like the notion of us being out of the media glare to some extent. Takes some of the pressure off of having to face perhaps the Phailures, Skirts or Bruins first round, but that could come back to haunt us if we lose to the Panthers. The speculation would be "how could you not beat a team from a weak division who only got in because they led their division?"

Best scenario, would rather see us take on Florida than anyone else first round. Want a winning series more than a nail-biting entertaining one.

I think the Atlantic Division is way too strong andI think the Devils have a good chance to kick Boston out of the playoffs. Thomas and his team are not the same after the White House saga.

I wouldn't attribute his play to that (he played very well in the weeks following it) but they sure seem beatable now.

It's getting a little more interesting with Florida surging and the Bs slipping... either of those teams, plus the Sens and (less likely) the Caps (also on a 4-game win streak) could wind up in the 2 and 3 seeds.

If the Bruins keep slumping as badly as they have all the way into the playoffs and get supplanted by the Panthers... maybe they wouldn't be such a bad first round opponent after all? I have to admit I haven't really watched any of their games or highlights, so I don't know exactly what their problem is. Has Thomas been that bad? Or is the team hanging him out to dry?

If the Bruins keep slumping as badly as they have all the way into the playoffs and get supplanted by the Panthers... maybe they wouldn't be such a bad first round opponent after all? I have to admit I haven't really watched any of their games or highlights, so I don't know exactly what their problem is. Has Thomas been that bad? Or is the team hanging him out to dry?

According to Anson Carter (NHL Network), he says the Bruins have just been careless with the puck in all three zones, for what that's worth.

He also made it sound like that the Devils and Avs were purposely playing for a shootout, because that's each team's strength. Right, I'm sure going in both teams said, "Hey, let's not try to score for 65 minutes, then take our chances in the shootout." Both teams created chances but both goalies made some nice saves. It wasn't like both teams were waiting for the other to give them a scoring chance.