Triumph

I mean, here's their next six:

Carolina

Edmonton

Islanders

Montreal

Minnesota

Columbus

Jesus. :lol: It's like the murders row of suck, Carolina is probably the toughest team on the bill and they're just having fun playing exhibition games.

Well sh!t. Boston better get winning.

I mean, here's their next six:

Carolina

Edmonton

Islanders

Montreal

Minnesota

Columbus

Jesus. :lol: It's like the murders row of suck, Carolina is probably the toughest team on the bill and they're just having fun playing exhibition games.

That looks like the draft position to me.

I mean, yeah, that's pretty much the easiest schedule you can get. Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they dropped 3 of those games.

Yeah, to be fair it is condensed, and they do have a bunch of those on the road, but Boston's is condensed too and they have a damn WC trip in there.

I guess we'll see what happens starting tonight. I mean, everyone was loathing our March schedule as having potential to kill us, and we have a decent chance to get out of it with 10 wins.

I wouldn't be quick to count out the Panthers in a matchup. They happen to be one of those teams(ala the Islanders) that tend to put up a good fight against us. I honestly think we'd have a good shot at any other club with the exception of Boston.

This is true, but the panthers have 1 good line. Shut them down and its a wrap. They might even burn out during the series. I would say devils in 5 or 6 against the panthers

Like I said - Carolina is not that much worse than Florida.

Anyway, good result for sure, if Boston can get points in this game in hand, it's going to be real hard for Florida.

Team PTS GR

5. Flyers 92 9

6. Devils 89 8

7. Sens 84 8

Devils essentially clinch no worse than 6th with a Devils win and Senators loss in each of their next games.

Race for 3rd place:

2. Bruins 87 10

3. Pnthrs 85 9

8. Captals 80 9

Edited by Triumph

I don't know if it's necessarily a bad thing for us, but I noticed something looking at the standings the other day: If not for the whole "division winners must be the top 3 seeds" deal, we'd be the number four seed. And that's as the fourth place team in our division.

I repeat: The FOURTH BEST team in the Atlantic Division has more points than the best team in both the Northeast and Southeast. Of course, if division winners didn't get an auto top seed, and we were in fourth, we'd have home ice advantage, but would likely wind up playing Boston in the first round. So again, not sure if we're actually being screwed here or not. Just seems kinda sad that of the four best teams points-wise in the conference, only two can actually get home ice advantage to start the playoffs.

It'd be similar in the Western Conference, if not for Vancouver mucking it up. Still, four of the top five teams in the West come out of the Central.

Bananapants.

I've been saying for the last couple weeks it's pretty remarkable that the top four East teams are all from the Atlantic. Ironically, this season's become the worst possible argument for the four 'conference' system that got shot down :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Th majority of cup winners over that past two decades have come from the Central and Atlantic by a pretty big margin.

91-Pitt

92-Pitt

93-MTL

94-NYR

95-NJ

96-CO

97-DET

98-DET

99-DAL

00-NJ

01-CO

02-DET

03-NJ

04-TB

06-CAR

07-ANH

08-DET

09-PITT

10-CHI

11-BOS

Granted, conferences were switched up in the mid nineties but with the exception of 04 to 07 an Atlantic or Central division team won like 1 out of every 2 years.

Very good but not great result for the Devils tonight. Philly wins (which was the most important thing) to increase their lead over the Devils back to 5 points. They give a point to the Capitals who move 4 points back of Florida with the Panthers still having a game in hand.

If the Bruins win tonight, this will be a great night

Very good but not great result for the Devils tonight. Philly wins (which was the most important thing) to increase their lead over the Devils back to 5 points. They give a point to the Capitals who move 4 points back of Florida with the Panthers still having a game in hand.

I don't really see what the fear is with the Capitals. They are playing okay, but they are simply not the team of years past. This was a great result.

I don't really see what the fear is with the Capitals. They are playing okay, but they are simply not the team of years past. This was a great result.

They are not. Having said that, I think it be a tougher matchup than the Panthers. Maybe not, but I'll be happy with Florida. It also depends how teams are playing entering the playoffs. If the Caps are able to catch Florida, chances are things are clicking for them and they'll be a tough opponent.

On another note, I can just see every Rangers fan realize when Pittsburgh passes them, they'll have a very tough 1st round matchup against the Flyers, while the Devils face the Panthers. I can see Rangers' officials campaigning to the league to change the rules at that point.

They are not. Having said that, I think it be a tougher matchup than the Panthers. Maybe not, but I'll be happy with Florida. It also depends how teams are playing entering the playoffs. If the Caps are able to catch Florida, chances are things are clicking for them and they'll be a tough opponent.

I don't think they can pass Florida. 4 points down with a game in hand for Florida? They have the tiebreaker, but that's a really tough climb. I'm not worried about that happening.

On another note, I can just see every Rangers fan realize when Pittsburgh passes them, they'll have a very tough 1st round matchup against the Flyers, while the Devils face the Panthers. I can see Rangers' officials campaigning to the league to change the rules at that point.

The league already wants to go to divisional playoffs, so I'm not sure those complaints would be heard.

And so it begins...the Devils are 'already' offering playoff discounts with food and beverage cards since it's obvious now they've overpriced the tickets and are not getting the Rangers-Flyers-Pens cash cow for the first round after all :P

Now I hope even more the Rangers do crap out to fourth...god knows if the Penguins were stuck at fourth with playing the Flyers they probably 'would' be able to get the system changed lol.

In the past years, our playoffs performances were very similar to the performances we had against these teams in regular season.

Carolina: I think we were 2-2 against them and we lost in 7

Philly: we were something like 1-5 during season against them and we lost in 5

Rangers: we were 1-5 against them during season and we lost in 5

If this is the trend this season too, I prefer getting Philly or the Rangers.

Our record against the Panthers is horrible...1 win 3 loss I think.

Edited by SS-SS

In the past years, our playoffs performances were very similar to the performances we had against these teams in regular season.

Carolina: I think we were 2-2 against them and we lost in 7

Philly: we were something like 1-5 during season against them and we lost in 5

Rangers: we were 1-5 against them during season and we lost in 5

If this is the trend this season too, I prefer getting Philly or the Rangers.

Meh, I remember hearing somewhere that there is no correlation between the regular season series and playoff performance. Obviously we would rather have the Panthers rather than the Bruins, but I dont think the Bruins have as much depth this year and Thomas wont be getting much rest because Rask is injured. Honestly, anyone but Pittsburgh in round one is fine with me

Ah, damn it, San Jose, why do you have to show up tonight?

The Devils have basically clinched 6th.

Team PTS GR

5. Flyers 94 8

6. Devils 89 8

7. Sens 84 8

If the Devils go 4-4, the Flyers would have to go 1-7-0 or 0-6-2 to fall behind the Devils.

If the Devils go 4-4, the Senators would have to go 6-1-1 or better to go ahead of the Devils.

The problem is that the Panthers are no guarantee for 6th with Boston losing tonight:

Team PTS GR

2. Bruins 87 9

3. Panthers 85 9

The Bruins have the tiebreaker, so it's not time to panic yet.

Devils have more than just one victory vs. the Panther this year.

I believe a 5-2 win and a 3-2 win. They were down 2-0 in that 3-2 win.

Also remember they lost a game 4-3 they were winning 3-0. They also lost the last game 3-1 & looked dreadful in it.

So I'm guessing the series was tied 2-2.

Like I said the Devils can either dominate that series & win it in 6 or play the way they've been playing & lose it in 6.