The Race For 6th Thread

Triumph

Well, it was to me at that time. It wasn't based on mounds of empirical data, it was a strong hunch based on each teams' strengths and weaknesses, and a strong feeling of what would happen.

That, and the fact they owned us in the season series just like the Rangers did two years before. Granted, a lot of times it might not matter in the playoffs, but when one team dominates the other in 'that' many games in the regular season sometimes regular season does play in.

Oh boy, another great night for the Devils. A win, Boston gets a point, and Florida keeps slightly ahead of Washington by blowing a lead very late in the game and losing in OT. Perfect.

Team PTS GR

5. Flyers 98 5

6. Devils 94 4

7. Sens 88 5

Even if the Sens go 3-1 in their final 4 games before the final meeting of the season, the Devils only need 3 points in their next 3 games to clinch at least 6th place.

RACE FOR 3rd

2. Bruins 94 5

3. Pnthrs 90 5

Bruins have the tiebreaker here, so the Panthers have to get 5 more points with 5 games remaining to get 2nd.

Edited by Triumph

Oh boy, another great night for the Devils. A win, Boston gets a point, and Florida keeps slightly ahead of Washington by blowing a lead very late in the game and losing in OT. Perfect.

Team PTS GR

5. Flyers 98 5

6. Devils 94 4

7. Sens 88 5

Even if the Sens go 3-1 in their final 4 games before the final meeting of the season, the Devils only need 3 points in their next 3 games to clinch at least 6th place.

RACE FOR 3rd

2. Bruins 94 5

3. Pnthrs 90 5

Bruins have the tiebreaker here, so the Panthers have to get 5 more points with 5 games remaining to get 2nd.

This includes the catch that Boston would also have to go 0-5?

This includes the catch that Boston would also have to go 0-5?

What I said wasn't exactly clear - the Panthers have to get 5 more points than the Bruins in the remaining games. So if the Bruins go 1-4-0 down the stretch, the Panthers still have to go at least 3-1-1 to get 2nd.

You know what's crazy and maybe something that will put things in perspective. The Devils are on a collision course to play the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.

The Devils and Panthers have met before in the playoffs...12 years ago in 2000 to be exact. It was a 4 game sweep and a rather uneventful series. The Devils moved on and went on to win a Stanley Cup that year and make it to the Finals the year after. A tough first round loss in 2002, but another Stanley Cup in 2003. Since that point, it has been a bit disappointing with 4 first round playoff exits and 2 in the 2nd round.

A lot has happened for the Devils since that 4-1 win over the Panthers on April 20th 2000. But for the Panthers....that was the last time they made the Playoffs. How about 10 straight seasons without sniffing the playoffs. How about the fact that since their Finals appearance in 1996, they have won a total of 1 single playoff game...

Alright, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

You know what's crazy and maybe something that will put things in perspective. The Devils are on a collision course to play the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.

The Devils and Panthers have met before in the playoffs...12 years ago in 2000 to be exact. It was a 4 game sweep and a rather uneventful series. The Devils moved on and went on to win a Stanley Cup that year and make it to the Finals the year after. A tough first round loss in 2002, but another Stanley Cup in 2003. Since that point, it has been a bit disappointing with 4 first round playoff exits and 2 in the 2nd round.

A lot has happened for the Devils since that 4-1 win over the Panthers on April 20th 2000. But for the Panthers....that was the last time they made the Playoffs. How about 10 straight seasons without sniffing the playoffs. How about the fact that since their Finals appearance in 1996, they have won a total of 1 single playoff game...

I think the highlight of that series was Peter Worrell managing to score a goal. Still the worst skater I've ever seen.

Washington is getting closer to the Panthers and it's kind of scary. I'm not sure who would be a better match because the Caps look great now but can really suck sometimes, playoffs especially.

Yeah I wouldn't want the Caps in the first round, especially if Backstrom comes back. You'd have to take them over the other options, but I'd prefer the Panthers get a couple more wins and lock up the division. They haven't been doing very well in the supposed soft portion of their schedule though.

Florida's still four points up with a game in hand...but they have to play in Washington next Thursday.

Re: Florida, I'm not sure how close they were to playoff berths since the lockout ended, but clearly they're one of those teams that doesn't help itself in the shootout. Because the Devils are so damned good at it, it's easy to forget how BAD other teams are in them.

Devils: 54-29, 116 GF, 85 GA (12-4 this season)

Florida: 30-54, 68 GF, 102 GA (6-10 this season)

Imagine being a Panthers fan...when they see they're going to the shootout they must think "oh nooooooooo..."

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh, we know the feeling...it comes almost everytime we've headed into a playoff OT since the mid-Nineties !

Worked out OK in Game 6 of the 2000 SCF...but yeah, good point, know what you mean...playoff OTs haven't been kind to the Devils...

Yeah I wouldn't want the Caps in the first round, especially if Backstrom comes back. You'd have to take them over the other options, but I'd prefer the Panthers get a couple more wins and lock up the division. They haven't been doing very well in the supposed soft portion of their schedule though.

Florida's still four points up with a game in hand...but they have to play in Washington next Thursday.

I BADLY want Washington in that 8 hole for two reasons: 1. We wouldn't play them- I want no part of the Caps in the first round. 2. The Rangers WOULD have to play them, and the Rangers have an awful time of things against the Caps in the playoffs. I think the Caps would actually knock them off. What Carolina has been to the Devils in the playoffs, the Caps have been to the Rangers. Mark my words, the Caps would win that series in 6.

I BADLY want Washington in that 8 hole for two reasons: 1. We wouldn't play them- I want no part of the Caps in the first round. 2. The Rangers WOULD have to play them, and the Rangers have an awful time of things against the Caps in the playoffs. I think the Caps would actually knock them off. What Carolina has been to the Devils in the playoffs, the Caps have been to the Rangers. Mark my words, the Caps would win that series in 6.

I think it'd be different this season...Caps just never seem capable of pulling it together for very long...they had a four-game winning streak, but have since followed that with a 2-3-2 slide...and they blew a 2-0 lead last night before winning...I'd love to think they could get it done, but it doesn't seem to be their year.

I think it'd be different this season...Caps just never seem capable of pulling it together for very long...they had a four-game winning streak, but have since followed that with a 2-3-2 slide...and they blew a 2-0 lead last night before winning...I'd love to think they could get it done, but it doesn't seem to be their year.

I don't think this Ranger team would lose to this year's Caps. I agree. But it's the nutty playoffs, so who knows?

All they'd have to do is steal one of the first two in the World's Most Overrated Piss-Smelling Loser Factory, and it's on. Don't discount the pshychological factor of Washington getting into the Rangers' heads. If they pull off one of the first two, it's a long series. I'd be PRAYING for Buffalo if I was a Rangers fan.

All they'd have to do is steal one of the first two in the World's Most Overrated Piss-Smelling Loser Factory, and it's on. Don't discount the pshychological factor of Washington getting into the Rangers' heads. If they pull off one of the first two, it's a long series. I'd be PRAYING for Buffalo if I was a Rangers fan.

I think it has more to do with the Caps than it does the Rangers. Think about it...they were 7-0-0 to start the season. They've been incredibly ordinary at best ever since...32-31-8 and outscored by a boatload. Even if they got inside the Rangers' heads, I don't think they'd know what to do once they got there.

• Like 1

I think it has more to do with the Caps than it does the Rangers. Think about it...they were 7-0-0 to start the season. They've been incredibly ordinary at best ever since...32-31-8 and outscored by a boatload. Even if they got inside the Rangers' heads, I don't think they'd know what to do once they got there.

Valid points CR, but we all know its a clean slate when the playoffs start. Throw out the regular season- when the playoffs start none of it matters anymore. I'm tellin' ya- all it will take to get the Rags gripping their sticks a little tighter is a Caps victory in one of the first two- there's history there. If the Caps get confidence, look out- you know they're very comfortable playing the Rangers in the playoffs. Heck, I've seen the Devils mentally melt at the site of a Carolina Hurricanes jersey enough to know that you don't discount recent playoff history. The Caps have had their number in the playoffs, and there will be a TON of pressure on the Rangers this year to make a deep run, so don't think the Rags won't get a little tight if they drop a game at home early, particularly against Washington. It's the best match-up you can hope for if you want to see those a$$holes bounced in the first round.

Didn't Buffalo hand it to the Rags the other day? Ever since Miller has been Miller, I think Buff has a better chance than the Caps.

Didn't Buffalo hand it to the Rags the other day? Ever since Miller has been Miller, I think Buff has a better chance than the Caps.

The only chance Buffalo would have to beat the Rangers is if Miller was super-human the way he's been the last 3 or so weeks. I wouldn't count on that continuing.

I agree with this. But MD2020 is right, in that the NHL playoffs are one goofy beast.

EDIT: I agree that Buffalo has a better chance than Washington...not necessarily because of Miller...more just a feeling that one of those "who saw THAT coming?!" upsets could be in the works.

{waits for Tri to post 11 different charts, graphs, spreadsheets and tables to point out how such a scenario is extremely unlikely and does not compute...just kidding Tri}

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976