The Race For 6th Thread

Triumph

Miller has been Miller? Miller has way, way more average years than exceptional years.

I wouldn't count on the Capitals against the Rangers either. There's a reason why they've flip-flopped in the standings.

One team has been hit hard with the injury bug and the other has been relatively healthy all year and riding a goalie who is having a career year

Before tonight, they were 6-1-3 over their last 10. Not really a hot mess. It's an average team overachieving, and now having a bad game.

Didn't realize they had that good of a record over the last 10. I just recall them losing to Edmonton last week, Minnesota last night, Columbus tonight, and fighting tooth and nail to beat lousy Montreal. Maybe 'hot mess' was a bit strong, but they're not playing great hockey.

Worked out OK in Game 6 of the 2000 SCF...but yeah, good point, know what you mean...playoff OTs haven't been kind to the Devils...

yep. I think Brodeur's OT record is something like 12-21. That part has been tough !

on topic: +1 on the FLA loss.

Edited by BlueSkirt

Miller has been Miller? Miller has way, way more average years than exceptional years.

I wouldn't count on the Capitals against the Rangers either. There's a reason why they've flip-flopped in the standings.

I like Washignton against the Rangers, adding Backstrom makes an already improving team even better.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

At the end of the day, Florida or Washington is a much better matchup than the Bruins. Still a 4 point cushion ahead of Florida (with the Bruins having a game in hand and the breaker) and behind them. Things are looking good.

That Florida-Washington matchup next week is huge, of course. That may well determine the division winner. Florida's next game is @Detroit btw. Not sure who's up next for the Caps.

Before tonight, they were 6-1-3 over their last 10. Not really a hot mess. It's an average team overachieving, and now having a bad game.

That's a really selective way of looking at it considering they just went 1-2-3 against a who's who of the draft lottery :lol: The odd thing was they beat Boston, Philly and Buffalo before this stretch. But now that they have it in the grasp, they're choking big-time.

That's a really selective way of looking at it considering they just went 1-2-3 against a who's who of the draft lottery :lol: The odd thing was they beat Boston, Philly and Buffalo before this stretch. But now that they have it in the grasp, they're choking big-time.

The thing is, the who's who of the draft lottery really aren't that much worse than the rest of the NHL. Besides Columbus, top and bottom are only separated by 36 points. Which is why I said before that you can't give Florida a bunch of wins in this stretch.

I still would've liked for them to have won or gotten a point tonight, but they can still pull it together. A win in their next game would be nice.

Yeah well you called it...but part of the reason I did think Florida would do well over these six games was how they were playing before that beating good teams. You just never know how a team (especially one with such a long playoff drought) is going to respond to the stretch run though.

Best scenario:

1). Philly beats Sens in regulation (the Devils will not catch the Flyers for 5th)

2). Both Washington and Buffalo lose (preferably in regulation)

3). Boston beat Isles

4). Devils need to win.

Assume all of The above happens, the Devils will need only a single point (3 games left) to solidify their 6th spot while Boston could be one win/two points away from clinching the 2nd/NW Division. Thus, the last two games could be meaningless for the Devils.

PS: the Devils can clinch as the 6th and watch Fla/Wash battling out each other as fast as Sunday if Boston beats Rags on Sunday and Isles beat Sens tomorrow as well. Therefore, the Devils can push the cruise control after Sunday depends how things unfold.

Edited by Devil Fan

All of a sudden the race for sixth ain't looking too hot now that the Caps finally decided to come to life. And with our luck the Sabres'll choke too and the Panthers will back into eight and give the Rangers a cushy four or five-game series.

Edited by NJDevs4978

All of a sudden the race for sixth ain't looking too hot now that the Caps finally decided to come to life. And with our luck the Sabres'll choke too and the Panthers will back into eight and give the Rangers a cushy four or five-game series.

That would be our luck. Florida's playing @Detroit tomorrow, so I'm not counting on them picking up any ground before the head-to-head matchup, which I think is Tuesday.

A lot had to go the Devils way for this matchup to happen. We wanted the Panthers to lose, then win..maybe an OT loss here and there. Very hard to be the puppet master in this situation.

The Capitals is still a much better series than the Bruins. Caps and Panthers play next week in which will be a gigantic game. If the Caps win, we most likely play them.

At least the one thing about the Caps that isn't so hot is they've been blowing leads the last two games and relying on the shootout, the way we did early in the season.

That would be our luck. Florida's playing @Detroit tomorrow, so I'm not counting on them picking up any ground before the head-to-head matchup, which I think is Tuesday.

It's Thursday...I think Washington goes to Tampa Monday (whoopee) and Florida plays Winnipeg at home Tuesday. Then on Saturday Washington plays the Rangers, who'll probably have everything wrapped up by then while the Panthers get Carolina at home.