GDT: Devils vs. Flyers 3/11/12

lazer

Just can't fathom it happening. He took a discount (reportedly the rags offered more) the first time around, I can't see him anywhere else.

Apparently the snag with the Rangers was that they wouldn't give him a NTC. Oh well, water under the bridge, he's here now, and though I think there were definitely times where he wondered if he made the right decision in staying, I think he's very much at peace here now.

Elias needs 17 pts in the season's final 13 GP to reach 900. He probably won't get there this season, but he has a terrific shot to finish with 1000+ for his career for sure...hope they all come as a Devil...

And Kovy is now down to a -3.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

#freezharkov

The offense was great, the defense was great, Marty was good when needed and special teams was AWESOME. Here is a fun little fact: we now have the #15 power play in the nhl. I bet if I told you this in December, you'd look at me like Im crazy. I was saying this in the chat, but I cant remember the last time I've felt this good about a Devils team. There's just so much skill and depth, and our coaching is top notch. Just gonna enjoy the ride and hopefully we can do some damage come April

The Pete Deboer era starts now!

#freezharkov

Seriously though, tonight was a great game from top to bottom. The offense was great, the defense was great, Marty was good when needed and special teams was AWESOME. Here is a fun little fact: we now have the #15 power play in the nhl. I bet if I told you this in December, you'd look at me like Im crazy. I was saying this in the chat, but I cant remember the last time I've felt this good about a Devils team. There's just so much skill and depth, and our coaching is top notch. Just gonna enjoy the ride and hopefully we can do some damage come April

Speaking of fun team stats:

Goals per game - 2.68 (12th in the league)

Goals against per game - 2.55 (11th)

Power play - 17.2% (15th)

Penalty kill - 89.4% (t-1st)

Those numbers are all the more impressive when considering how brutal the Devils were in all categories (except PK) early in the year. Plus, the Devils actually have not one but two (!) players in the top 10 in points: Kovalchuk - 71 pts (t-5th) and Elias - 67 pts (t-8th).

Great win last night, kept our composure and made them pay! The more I watch the replay of the Rinaldo highstick on Carter, the more I am inclined to say that he did that high stick on purpose. In addition to the "kicking motion" after he highsticked him, I'm just at a loss for words.. what kind of parents spawn a kid like this?

Great win last night, kept our composure and made them pay! The more I watch the replay of the Rinaldo highstick on Carter, the more I am inclined to say that he did that high stick on purpose. In addition to the "kicking motion" after he highsticked him, I'm just at a loss for words.. what kind of parents spawn a kid like this?

Bobby Clark, thats who! glove wearing fa**ot

rinaldo the small punk was annoying me all game, which made this win all the sweeter

flyers have some problems back there behind their net. when our 4th line cycles you and pins you thats trouble LOL

our D is keeping the front of the crease clean for the most part now. (Tavares giroux being exceptions)

loved how patty was looking to get zach a goal on the PP

JJ is playing at a new level, but he needs to do that barbell-rope-broom stick exercise to build up the wrists and forearms. kid needs to finish

13 games left

It is kinda unsettling for me that Larsson sat. Not because he sat (I agree with DeBoer's decision) but the level of play since his injury. It just hasn't been there for him since he came back and wondering if he came back too soon.

This has been an incredibly tough year for Larsson, on many levels...I think he's probably mentally and physically spent...easy to forget that he's basically a kid playing among men. His introduction into NHL life has been pretty rough. I'm sure there's a part of him that will be incredibly happy to put this year behind him.

Testament to team defense and Brodeur:

Since the start of March. 125 shots against with 117 saves, good for a .936 save%. With half of those goals coming in the Bruins game.

The Devils are 3-1-1 over that span.

Not to derail this, but ....

... also in March, Lundqvist has a .879 Sv%, 3.14 GAA and 2-2-1 record.

:evil::koolaid::evil:

This has been an incredibly tough year for Larsson, on many levels...I think he's probably mentally and physically spent...easy to forget that he's basically a kid playing among men. His introduction into NHL life has been pretty rough. I'm sure there's a part of him that will be incredibly happy to put this year behind him.

That probably is a huge part of it as well.

Do you think he should sit now in favor of Tao or see if he can play through this? At this point I really do not know.

Do you think he should sit now in favor of Tao or see if he can play through this? At this point I really do not know.

He needs to keep playing and get through this. He's having an initiation by fire, and there's nothing wrong with it. This will be a rough year for him but it will make him that much stronger for next year and he should only move forward from there.

Edited by Amberite

I'm not being overly dramatic or exaggerating but the officiating this year has been the worst I've seen in my life. And it showed again tonight. Fortunately we got the win.

Not that your point is wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I have never heard anyone say, "The officiating was very good in that game/tournament/season." Occasionally officials get some props on individual plays, particularly in the NFL.

Disclaimer: High School baseball, football official

Not that your point is wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I have never heard anyone say, "The officiating was very good in that game/tournament/season." Occasionally officials get some props on individual plays, particularly in the NFL.

Disclaimer: High School baseball, football official

There was a solid stretch of several games this year where the calls were noticeably going our way. That trend seems to have ended, though.

There was a solid stretch of several games this year where the calls were noticeably going our way. That trend seems to have ended, though.

Yeah, but I wouldn't call those games well-officiated either. I get the feeling that we are back to pre-lockout style officiating where officials let stuff go for both teams. The difference is that teams are much better at not committing fouls, so that's why power plays are way down (again).

Agree with Amberite...it's not going to get any easier. Better he learns that playing an 82+ game season and the playoffs in the NHL is a different beast, unlike any other hockey experience. He'll get better from this.

penalties were 22min. to 6...take away the 10 on shelley and call it fair.

oh and on larsson, there are ways to salvage his season, but im trying to find out who is a postseason warrior and its not easy with new guys and rookies, this is devils now.

obviously patty...

Edited by lazer

That non-call on clarkson was brutal. If he stayed down there would have been an easy five

Are you talking about the boarding or the time when Clarkson was being raped thru his pads with a Phailure laying on top of him for a full 30 seconds? I mean, he basically had to spread his cheeks as the refs watched.