GDT: Pens @ NJD 3/17/12

Devs4LordStanley

Several things that upset me but one thing is definitely PDB's fault. When the guys are not scoring or being shutdown, you need to break them up. Can't keep Parise-Henrique-Kovy on the same line at the moment, need to light a fire over there and for that PDB has to mix them up. I don't understand why he doesn't do that. The problem with Lemaire is he did it every other shift, which was upsetting, and PDB doesnt do it at all. Got to be a little dynamic here.

He could've moved henrique to the third, kovy to left with elias/sykora and zubrus to the right with josefson/parise and see how it pans out. This guy has to some times take this risk if the game is pretty much done and see how it goes.

I agree....try it out now....instead of game 4 in the playoffs when we're down 0-3. You never know (unless you try) it could have an immediate positive result.

Guys, PDB has shown tremendous ability to navigate the lines this season. Let's wait and see what he does. I think the return of Travis, we need to diversify a little bit. I think he will do the right thing.

The return of Travis will be fun, don't get me wrong, but we can't expect much from him heading into the playoffs.

Not playing all season and then heading into the playoffs? He will be a few steps behind the intensity.

PDB needs to change these lines for Monday. End of story.

2 goals in 3 games with the team the Devils have is inexcusable.

14 shots today, 17 vs. the Flyers. Not good heading into the final 10 games of the season. Especially because those teams are in our division and would possibly be someone we would have to face in the second round, if we get that far. One can hope.

Well I will say this the game could have been better, a win is always nice. However to get all worked up because they lost to a very hot team today, while not playing very well is what it is. I was worried about Marty during warm ups because he was letting in lots of pucks, but he was a wall for the most part in the game. Some players played well at times, just not everyone clicking at the same time. Boulton (i think) threw a huge is what we need him to do :). Clarkson standing up for Marty (and really anyone on the team).

Get the W in the next game :)

No one is saying this game is the refs fault. we were talking about the inconsistency of the kick ins. How does our poor performance relate to that topic?

Because a game where:

A) We actually got as many PP's than the other team despite being dominated (if we're going to complain when the same thing happens in reverse - which it has a number of times - we have to at least pipe down about the refs when it happens for us).

B) The goal call was actually correct as stated in the NHL rulebook, unlike the Parise call which was a completely erroneous judgement.

C) We got pounded from pillar to post

Is 'not' the game to be bagging on the refs and crying about a conspiracy as was going on in this thread. Granted they had some goofy calls toward the end handing out misconducts for wrestling, but really the game was over at that point anyway and they were trying to head off the sore-loserdom physical play that often happens in blowout games.

Edited by NJDevs4978

fvck the devils. What an absolutely pathetic effort. Screw this team. DeBoer better show some balls in punishing this group. If i read he says oh no big deal ill be calling for his head.

Personally I'd bag skate them (Marty excepted) Herb Brooks style after they magically showed up the first five minutes of the third after taking the first forty minutes off.

That said, I'm not a coach. You do have to be careful about what extent you punish them considering the fact they have games Monday and Tuesday as well. I'd take away their day off and make them watch film certainly, but bag skating them at this juncture could be counterproductive. It's not like they've made a habit of not showing up (then again I didn't see Tuesday's game so this was probably twice in a week that they haven't, which would be an issue).

Really can't stand these Pittsburgh fans. I don't think any of them have heard of a player from before 2005.

DD56, I was there today, and I must have had this same exact thought at least five times throughout the afternoon.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

this is what playing for sixth place looks like.

that is all.

This actually may be true. We always assume that teams are trying to get as high as possible, but there might really be a concerted effort to get 6th place. We all know how Pittsburgh would tank seasons to get 1st overall pick, so I don't see why other teams wouldn't try to position themselves in certain slots for the playoffs. For the past few years (except last, obviously) we've worked hard to get as high up in the standings as we could, only to draw a terrible 1st round opponent like Philly or NYR which we could have avoided if we swallowed our pride a little and took a lower spot in the standings. I can't see Lou allowing it to happen consciously, but with how back and forth this team is, it wouldn't surprise me if the players have it on their mind to stay in 6th.

Don't forget that we beat Pittsburgh pretty convincingly three times this season. They are surging now, but it doesn't explain how badly they beat us today.

Edited by Amberite

lol not too long ago people here we're all pumped that we didnt gave up more than 2 goals for like 5-6 games or something and everything was wonderful, Deboer is the man, we have a crazy depth, our d was doing great, Kovy is some kind of beast sent from god, marty is solid, etc etc

now we have one bad loss and the whole world is collapsing and we wont make it throught the first round, lets fire Deboer, bla bla bla bla bla

how can some people here keep a straight face blaming the players for being inconsistent, they are the ones playing a game every 2 days through small injuries, travelling, blocking shots, being away from their families etc etc

while "as fan" they can't even try to stay positive sitting on their ass in the comfort of their home.

ridiculous

Edited by SterioDesign

lol not too long ago people here we're all pumped that we didnt gave up more than 2 goals for like 5-6 games or something and everything was wonderful, Deboer is the man, we have a crazy depth, our d was doing great, Kovy is some kind of beast sent from god, marty is solid, etc etc

now we have one bad loss and the whole world is collapsing and we wont make it throught the first round, lets fire Deboer, bla bla bla bla bla

how can some people here keep a straight face blaming the players for being inconsistent, they are the ones playing a game every 2 days through small injuries, travelling, blocking shots, being away from their families etc etc

while "as fan" they can't even try to stay positive sitting on their ass in the comfort of their home.

ridiculous

I have to admit, the one thing that bugged me about this game is that I've seen this before from the Devils come playoff time...the whole two-steps-slower thing. Maybe the Devils can find a way to beat teams like the Flyers, Rangers, Bruins or Penguins, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose any of those series in 6 games or less.

Having said that, all I was really asking the Devils to do was to find their way back into the playoffs this season, and they're going to do that. If they nab the 6th seed, I think they also have a great chance to win a round. After that, I don't really know, but never at any point this season did I consider them an elite team or a real Cup contender. If this team wins two playoff rounds, I'll say they'll have overachieved significantly.

I have to admit, the one thing that bugged me about this game is that I've seen this before from the Devils come playoff time...the whole two-steps-slower thing. Maybe the Devils can find a way to beat teams like the Flyers, Rangers, Bruins or Penguins, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose any of those series in 6 games or less.

Having said that, all I was really asking the Devils to do was to find their way back into the playoffs this season, and they're going to do that. If they nab the 6th seed, I think they also have a great chance to win a round. After that, I don't really know, but never at any point this season did I consider them an elite team or a real Cup contender. If this team wins two playoff rounds, I'll say they'll have overachieved significantly.

Yeah thats fair and all i wanted this season was to have a team playing for .500 by the time zajac is back... Well took longer than expected but they did that. I also wanted zach signed... But wtv

I mean theres people here who seems to believe that the devils have to win all 82 games "well its my team and i want to see them win".... Cmon now lol you win some you lose some, theres good games theres bad games in a season...

I think there was a thread a while back about separating Kovy and Zach - and I think it'll be done, just give them some time. We need to work Travis back in. I think there needs to be a way to maybe reduce Henrique's ice time - he looks a little worn out. We have 12 games to tweak the lineup before the playoffs. They are getting in, and now it's just getting ready.

I think ideally some sort of this to start when Zajac comes back

Parise-Henrique-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Elias-Sykora

Poni-Zajac-Clarkson

Bernier-Josefson-Carter

Might give way to

Parise-Hanrique-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Ponikorovsky

Sykora-Elias-Clarkson

Bernier-Josefson-Carter

Yeah thats fair and all i wanted this season was to have a team playing for .500 by the time zajac is back... Well took longer than expected but they did that. I also wanted zach signed... But wtv

I mean theres people here who seems to believe that the devils have to win all 82 games "well its my team and i want to see them win".... Cmon now lol you win some you lose some, theres good games theres bad games in a season...

Yeah, I was hoping for .500 until Zajac returned too...what's been great is that the Devils were able to build off their .500 (12-12-1) start without getting much of anything from Zajac, thanks largely to Henrique putting up Zajac-like numbers for a while, before tailing off.

There's been positives and negatives this season for sure...unfortunately, because of Brodeur's age and Zach's UFA status, I think some fans are starting to view this as a "Cup-or-bust" season, which I think is unfair...a LOT would have break right for the Devils to get to the Conference Final, let alone the Cup Final!

How about being ticked at a team that no showed for 55 minutes instead of being mad the Pens didn't get screwed the way we did? At least 15 or 16 of the other 18 skaters should be doing Herbies after that lovely performance.

I know you can't win them all, and the Devils will make the playoffs and the sky isn't falling but...I was there and the place was humming. Ready to celebrate...something. These matinees seem to be bad for the Devils. Also it was a great sell out crowd. I just wish the players could have gotten some energy from the fans. A wasted opportunity to create a buzz about themselves.. Everytime Kovy touched the puck there was a palpable rise in the noise level. If something had happened the roof would have blown off!!

Oh well, two things you can never get back...the spoken word and the missed opportunity. :argh:

One thing that is frustrating as hell is watching the top three lines cycle very well and try to thread a perfect pass instead of putting it on net when they get a chance.

Parise - and the team itself - needs to start scoring more Parise-like goals. Drive everything to the net and bang home rebounds.

Yeah, I was hoping for .500 until Zajac returned too...what's been great is that the Devils were able to build off their .500 (12-12-1) start without getting much of anything from Zajac, thanks largely to Henrique putting up Zajac-like numbers for a while, before tailing off.

There's been positives and negatives this season for sure...unfortunately, because of Brodeur's age and Zach's UFA status, I think some fans are starting to view this as a "Cup-or-bust" season, which I think is unfair...a LOT would have break right for the Devils to get to the Conference Final, let alone the Cup Final!

I don't know about Cup or bust but I do think it's imperative this team wins 'at least' a round this year, mainly cause of the Zach thing but also because this building doesn't exactly have great history with pro-Devil sellout crowds. If I thought they were both definitely leaving though, then yeah that puts even more urgency on this season.

Not to mention if we do have to give up a first-rounder this year, you want it to be as high as possible :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Lines once Zajac returns

Parise Elias Zubrus

Kovalchuk Zajac Henrique

Poni Josefson Clarkson

Sykora Carter Bernier

Hooray for Sykora on the 4th line! He had one of the worst games I ever saw today, he was lucky that rebound popped out to him and was on the ice for the Greene goal (coming out of the penalty box) that's why plus/minus is a bad indicator. He is good stationary with that bomb of a shot he has but is terrible when he skates. I find it hard to watch.

Edited by Zubie#8

I don't know about Cup or bust but I do think it's imperative this team wins 'at least' a round this year, mainly cause of the Zach thing but also because this building doesn't exactly have great history with pro-Devil sellout crowds. If I thought they were both definitely leaving though, then yeah that puts even more urgency on this season.

Not to mention if we do have to give up a first-rounder this year, you want it to be as high as possible :lol:

I think it is very important that this team win a round, but if they draw the Flyers, Rangers, Penguins or Bruins, I think they have a tough time getting to the second round, even with the Bruins and Rangers not playing as well now as they were earlier. Just don't have a good feeling about those matchups, regardless of the season records.

Hooray for Sykora on the 4th line! He had one of the worst games I ever saw today, he was lucky that rebound popped out to him and was on the ice for the Greene goal (coming out of the penalty box) that's why plus/minus is a bad indicator. He is good stationary with that bomb of a shot he has but is terrible when he skates. I find it hard to watch.

I don't mind him at all, in fact, he is a steal for what he brings. Unfortunately, for him he doesn't fit on any of the other lines so he is relegated to 4th line duty.

This actually may be true. We always assume that teams are trying to get as high as possible, but there might really be a concerted effort to get 6th place. We all know how Pittsburgh would tank seasons to get 1st overall pick, so I don't see why other teams wouldn't try to position themselves in certain slots for the playoffs. For the past few years (except last, obviously) we've worked hard to get as high up in the standings as we could, only to draw a terrible 1st round opponent like Philly or NYR which we could have avoided if we swallowed our pride a little and took a lower spot in the standings. I can't see Lou allowing it to happen consciously, but with how back and forth this team is, it wouldn't surprise me if the players have it on their mind to stay in 6th.

Don't forget that we beat Pittsburgh pretty convincingly three times this season. They are surging now, but it doesn't explain how badly they beat us today.

The problem with the "Playing for 6th place" theory is at this point, there is nothing even close to a scenario where the Devils would have any idea who they likely would be playing as the "preferred" 3rd seed. The Rangers or the Pens will likely finish with the most points and whoever doesn't win that derby will most pretty much be assured of the 4th seed. Florida or Washington could easily win their division - the loser of that division could easily wind up as the 7th or 8th seed. Boston and Ottawa are battling it out for the division crown and those teams are probably looking at anywhere from a 2nd/3rd seed or a 6th or 7th seed. Given the recent struggles by the Bruins and it's apparent that the Southeast Division winner could also finish as high as the 2nd seed. In short, there are still too many plausible possibilities for seeding 1-8 that render the "shooting for the 6th seed" approach moot ... at least at this point in the season.

I don't mind him at all, in fact, he is a steal for what he brings. Unfortunately, for him he doesn't fit on any of the other lines so he is relegated to 4th line duty.

Oh definitely at that cap hit, but I noticed him getting worse and worse in the neutral zone these past few weeks and it drives me crazy, and it's very dangerous because the Elias line usually plays against the opponents top line. He handed the puck on a silver platter to the Penguins many times today, that's why he was thrown on the 4th line for a few shifts.

As for the lines, if DeBo does choose to switch the lines up I hope it will be these. It's okay to tinker with the lines to see what options we have going into the playoffs.

Parise Henrique Zubrus

Ponikarovsky Elias Kovalchuk

Sykora Josefson Clarkson

Scrubs

Its different but worth a try. I want to see what Poni can bring playing with the first or second line.

Edited by Zubie#8