DeBoer and Torts Should Be Fined

Daniel

All the comparisons to "staged WWE fighting" is a bad example, the punches thrown at in those 3 fights were meant to land and hurt.

The majority of people, nhl fans included, love fighting, there is a reason why almost every time there's a fight that the entire arena stands up to watch.

Also look at UFC, it's more popular then ever.

Fighting, in any aspect, is fun to watch.

My comparison to the WWE wasn't in terms of the fighting itself, it was the feeling of the scenario.

I am in no way trying to suggest that the fights themselves were fake. The guys taking part are tough, and they want to hurt each other.

Then why didn't they start their first line?

Because Torts went off his rocker. He was yelling at DeBoer before the game, does this sound like a man making good decisions to you? I don't have to go back through the games to find how often Torts got Gaborik etc. against the line of non-hockey players that the Devils dress every night, but it happened way more often than it should, and way way more often than it should if Torts was really afraid of those two lines going up against one another.

My comparison to the WWE wasn't in terms of the fighting itself, it was the feeling of the scenario.

I am in no way trying to suggest that the fights themselves were fake. The guys taking part are tough, and they want to hurt each other.

So you're saying that they all got to together with the creative team before the game and planned out the fights and pre-determined who was going to win, I can't wait for the XHL, it's gonna be awesome. :lol:

Hey Cam! Get the tables! Can't wait to see Cam throw Dubinsky through one :ECW:

Edited by Satans Hockey

Because Torts went off his rocker. He was yelling at DeBoer before the game, does this sound like a man making good decisions to you? I don't have to go back through the games to find how often Torts got Gaborik etc. against the line of non-hockey players that the Devils dress every night, but it happened way more often than it should, and way way more often than it should if Torts was really afraid of those two lines going up against one another.

Ok, and I think the reason he matched up the way he did was because he knew full well that those fights were going to happen. Whether the clock said :03 or 15:21 or whatever, it was going to happen. So he put his guys out, they did their thing, and the remaining 59 minutes of that game was a hard hitting, fightless, entertaining game with very few penalties.

Because Torts went off his rocker. He was yelling at DeBoer before the game, does this sound like a man making good decisions to you?

Whoa there ... you're saying that DeBo did something that knocked Torts off his rocker and caused him to make bad decisions? And this is a BAD thing for the Devils? Or for hockey?

In the end, it didn't work. But what you're describing sounds like good, ballsy coaching.

Wait wait wait... Boogaard died from a drug and alcohol overdose. Rypien committed suicide after battling depression for over a decade. Many feel the depression stemmed from when his girlfriend died en route to one of his games when he was 16 or 17. Belak also suffered long term depression and there have been claims that his death was 'accidental strangulation'. I don't think I have to get into what that could mean, but his family thinks his death was accidental as well.

It's way deeper than they fought so they died.

It is, but the Laraque article that came out afterward made me see the life of a fighter differently. His description of the pressure he felt, as well as his admission that he fought because he loved hockey and it kept him in the game, tough as it was, made me really feel for these guys. There is also a lot of evidence that depression is tied closely to the type of brain damage that comes from taking headshots. Is it fair to say those 3 incidents are a result of fighting? No. But that coupled with the evidence coming from the BU studies affected my opinion, even if much of the information we currently have is flawed/incomplete. I guess I'd rather err on the side of caution considering how bad the effects may very well be.

Whoa there ... you're saying that DeBo did something that knocked Torts off his rocker and caused him to make bad decisions? And this is a BAD thing for the Devils? Or for hockey?

In the end, it didn't work. But what you're describing sounds like good, ballsy coaching.

That's a real big accomplishment, Larry Brooks writing two words in the Post could cause Torts to go off his rocker, with one word being Larry and the other Brooks.