Return of Gomez

Beetlebum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holik spoke about Gomez a while back on his podcasts and doesn't think he is done. My line up next year ideally would look like this

Kovy Gomez Henrique

Teddy Elias Zubrus

Poni Zajac Clarkson

Zharkov Yayo Sykora

If Gomez were to fail Zajac or Yayo can move up.

Suter Fayne

Zids Volch

Tally Larsson

Profit

Has his attitude to the game ever been right?

It seems from what a lot of the players have said this year, is that the attitude and spirit in the dressing room has been very good.

I would hate for Gomez to return and drag that down. the team is full of players who work hard and play with the right attitude, i dont see Gomez fitting the bill.

Gomez appears to be one of those people who doesn't do well in the spotlight. He excelled in Jersey where we had a rigid team mentality. Maybe that's something he's realized. With the money coming off the cap (Parise, Brodeur, Salvador, etc) I could see the Devils giving him 800k - 1m for a season and see if he can click with Kovalchuk. He did great things with Mogilny here, and on the EGG line.

i am surprised by your take on this.

why move elias from center where he has excelled the last two years? if parise walks, the devils already have his top 6 replacement. his name is travis zajac.

kovalchuk-zajac-zubrus

henrique-elias-clarkson

tedenby-josefson-xxx

boulton-xxxx-xxxx

that's how it stands w/o parise, sykora, ponikarovski, bernier and carter.

tedenby is going to be given every chance to make the team next year - just like palmieri was essentially given the spot this year

i would be good w/ offering ponikarovski a 2/6 deal - maybe even 3/9 to have a solid roster spot taken up w/ a forward who can play 2nd or 3rd line.

sykora has probably earned another 1 year with his play this year - hopefully along the lines of the shanahan way so that if he says forget it in camp, he's not on the cap

i would like to get an andy greene deal for a foward like sam gagner/kyle okposo/curtis glencross type

give zharkov a shot to make the team next year or finally go to russia

fill out the 4th line w/ camp invites

i don't like moving elias away from center. what i do like is taking advantage of situations that present themselves. zidlicky wanted to come here, we got him, he's playing well. sykora wanted to give it one last shot here, he's working out, he's been a giant bargain so far. rather than signing players to multi-year deals, i'd rather take advantage of one-year contracts. the free agent market is a ghost town and petr sykora just can't come back here next year. NJ needs a forward.

if gomez and lou were amenable to a contract, i'd be in favor of it. in the right situation gomez could be a 50 point center who drives play and draws penalties.

Edited by Triumph

Forget about the fact that Gomez sucks, has a terrible work ethic, can't score for s#!t, and is a well below average player at this stage in his career. This guy is, and almost always has been, a defensive liability. Putting him on a line with Kovy would be a nightmare. Also, with Elias' success this year, the emergence of Henrique, and the return of Zajac (not to mention Josefson), we should be set up the middle next season and, therefore, don't need him.

I don't blame him for taking the money from the Rangers. NOBODY would have turned down that payday. However, his comments about always wanting to play in NY and the negative things he said about the Devils after he left is the reason he's persona non grata to me.

rather than signing players to multi-year deals, i'd rather take advantage of one-year contracts. the free agent market is a ghost town and petr sykora just can't come back here next year. NJ needs a forward.

yet last night, you were lamenting in chat how the devils have 3 players under team control in after next year (4 if you count tedenby - which we should). zajac and elias should be part of the plan for that year also but i'd feel better with a guy like ponikarovski signed for 3 years at a reasonable number. could p.a. parrenteau be someone to look at for RW?

I like this idea only if we can pick up a 1st round pick in the process. If we are going to be just above a cap floor team might as well get some value in a Gomez contract that is less then the cap.

Edit: This is why you should read the article. I would take Gomez in a second as a 3rd line center. He is OK defensively and is a dangerous player on the rush, it gives us two options to carry the puck on the line and on the PP.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I like this idea only if we can pick up a 1st round pick in the process. If we are going to be just above a cap floor team might as well get some value in a Gomez contract that is less then the cap.

According to the article, the Canadian's plan is to buy him out. So don't we get to pay him whatever we want?

yet last night, you were lamenting in chat how the devils have 3 players under team control in after next year (4 if you count tedenby - which we should). zajac and elias should be part of the plan for that year also but i'd feel better with a guy like ponikarovski signed for 3 years at a reasonable number. could p.a. parrenteau be someone to look at for RW?

ponikarovsky at 3 years? why? who else wants this guy - we got him for nothing. 3 years at 1.75M, sure.

parenteau is a player who is classically overvalued by the market, i'd pass.

it's a little daunting, but i don't think just signing a guy for a few years really solves anything. have you looked at who's available in free agency? it's pretty awful.

A move that i've been in favor of if the right situation came to fruition. Kovy and him together could be feast or famine but they should at least try.

http://spectorshocke...ens-and-bruins/

Like I have been saying: Gomez did the unforgivable with the whole Rangers things - however, he has been rightfully humiliated in the league and has paid his penance and should now return at a reasonable price.

Henrique should move to wing and let Gomez center.

Like I have been saying: Gomez did the unforgivable with the whole Rangers things - however, he has been rightfully humiliated in the league and has paid his penance and should now return at a reasonable price.

Henrique should move to wing and let Gomez center.

Agreed. I always thought of Gomez as a cocky and selfish player, but over the last 3,4 years he's become a joke. If a fresh start wouldn't motivate him, I'm not sure what would. He still has his speed and hockey sense, but it's his confidence that's probably lacking. Id do a one year/one mill contract if mtl buys him out

it's a little daunting, but i don't think just signing a guy for a few years really solves anything. have you looked at who's available in free agency? it's pretty awful.

i have - contract aside, here are forwards i'd actually want on the team:

semin

parise

kostitsen

hudler

kelly

ponikarovski

2nd round pick (d. moore)

wellwood

you're correct that it's slim pickings.

you're poni contract would be fine.

jiri hudler intrigues me but he's a small left handed leftwing so probably not.

i have - contract aside, here are forwards i'd actually want on the team:

semin

parise

kostitsen

hudler

kelly

ponikarovski

2nd round pick (d. moore)

wellwood

you're correct that it's slim pickings.

you're poni contract would be fine.

jiri hudler intrigues me but he's a small left handed leftwing so probably not.

Most of these guys play center or are left-handed. I don't want any of them besides Wellwood. Gomez is the only exception if he got bought out since he could be a decent reclamation project and if not, well, there's plenty of centers around.

EDIT - other than semin, who i would be interested in for one year.

Edited by Triumph