ZeroGravityFat

Positives to take:

-Parise scored a very Parise-like goal by jamming away at the net

-Henrique finally got out of his slump, same with jj to an extent

-the team came back from being down two goals twice to get a point

-all around they crushed the leafs in shots and chances

-we are more than capable of fixing the problems that occurred last night

-got a chance to experiment a bit with the lines; that never hurts the future

That is just from the top of my head. With as meaningless as this loss will turn out to be, I think a lot of good things happened. Virtually zero offense in the last few games, that concern was ended after shelling the leafs. Much better than a 1-0 win with getting just 18 shots on net and also better than a 5-0 loss.

We do need to do this against playoff bound teams, especially the line juggling. Hope PDB figures that out.

Oh weird.

We changed the lines and scored a few goals?

Never would have thought!

Overall poor performance by this team. Extremely soft and looking around on defense isn't going to result in anything good.

Glad we got a point but we should have dominates this team.

Marty can't always bail this team out in the shootout.

He won't even have a chance to in the playoffs.

How did you see this as an overall poor performance? I understand not being able to capitalize is a pretty big problem, but a lot of that has to do with puck luck that the team was simply not getting tonight. To me, it actually WAS a pretty dominant effort, that came down to a couple goals that maybe Marty could have had on another day. I also thought that their ability to tie the game up was quite promising. Some players did not seem to give it all they had tonight, but what are you gonna do?

I liked the mixing up of the lines, though. Also, the Ponikarovsky line was pretty nice to watch today. Josefson has not been having as good of a year as I had hoped, but he's beginning to show some great things. A physically stronger Josefson could definitely be a #1 center in the future, in my opinion.

Lol actually I didn't mean it like that. I used bad wording. I think he did well but because of no help from the defense he was having a rough time. At least two if not all goals against were not his fault.

I know you didn't...you worded your post fine...I was referring to other posts with my reply. And I agree, I didn't really think he was at fault. And in the shootout, his save% was well over .800 this year, so he was due to give up a few...though I think last night might have been the first time he went 0-for-3 in one. I can't remember another time offhand.

Another pathetic performance on home ice against a garbage team. Go ahead and come up with the excuses you want--you need to win these type of games. Marty was atrocious tonight.

Wrong on pretty much everything. For one, it was not a pathetic performance...frustrating at times, sure. But they did find a way to tie it up after being down two in the third...something to be said for that. And Marty was pretty much money this season in the shootout until last night...the Devils are still 11-4 in the shootout this season, which is pretty damned good.

They did NOT need to win this game. There's no way they're getting home ice...they're 8 points back of Pittsburgh, and the Penguins have two games in hand. The 5th seed is kind of in play, but barely...Philly is four points up with a game in hand. But what the hell good would it do to get up to the 5th seed? Do you really want the Devils to face the Rangers or Penguins in the first round? I sure don't.

If you're at all worried about Ottawa, I don't see how you could be...even if the Devils went 2-4-0 in their next six, Ottawa would have to win five out of six just to catch them, then they would face each other to see who would claim the sixth seed. BTW Ottawa is 3-5-2 this month, and mired in a three-game losing streak (two of the losses have come against "garbage" teams in Toronto and Montreal). They've scored just two goals in their last three games. There's not much going on to suggest they'd be able to take advantage of a Devil slump.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well, the story of the game was that the coverage (and the change on goal #2) was bad when it didn't need to be. That's what was disappointing about this, that if they had played a better defensive game considering the volume against them, they win this pretty easily with 3 goals. the Leafs third goal, that is just putrid coverage. Marty didn't do anything wrong during the game, he whiffed in the shootout, but at least he tried to do something, unlike Reimer who rolled in a ball and luckily got hit on the inside of one of his pads and then acted like he'd given up the goal. :lol:

Breaks weren't great either, first goal drops off Henrique right on a guy's stick and Reimer got holes punched in him, especially in the first, and somehow the damn puck never went in after going through him.

But they gotta have better coverage, especially on that third goal, the first ten of the second was nothing to write home about either. I swear Andy Greene must have had at least a 2:30 shift when things got ugly there, he could not get off and they could not get a whistle to get him off.

They did NOT need to win this game. There's no way they're getting home ice...

I don't care about home ice. I know that's not gonna happen. What I care about is them playing consistently well heading in and also beating the teams you're supposed to beat, and if you can't beat the Leafs on your home ice how am I supposed to take you seriously come the postseason? Just annoys me to no end how this team lacks any gutsy leadership and ability to show killer instinct, that's all. They have to stop making these goalies look better than they are.

Edited by Marv4Life

I don't care about home ice. I know that's not gonna happen. What I care about is them playing consistently well heading in and also beating the teams you're supposed to beat, and if you can't beat the Leafs on your home ice how am I supposed to take you seriously come the postseason? Just annoys me to no end how this team lacks any gutsy leadership and ability to show killer instinct, that's all. They have to stop making these goalies look better than they are.

I thought Zach showed tremendous leadership after we went down 3-1.. Not sure how well it came across on tv but his intensity went to a different level and hey got us a second goal in true Zach fashion

I only saw up to us going down 2-0 as I had to leave, but I like that they battled back for the point. Nice for Jo & Adam to break their droughts, and good for Zach getting a true Parise goal... Kovy & Zach continue to be unbelievable in the shootout... surprising that Marty missed all of them but we gotta admit that Kadri's move was insane.

Overall, we got a point and Ottawa got rolled by Montreal. We're in good shape. We get another shot at Pittsburgh tomorrow... how will we respond?

let's take the season series.

By "consistently", I think you mean "win all of the time"...because I'm going to guess that most of your posts after losses read something like "Devils have to show that they can beat good teams" if they lose to a good team, and "Devils can't lose to teams below them in the standings" when they lose to "bad" teams. Teams good and bad lose to teams good and bad.

Stop pointing to one game like last night's to make some kind of point about what kind of team the Devils are. Do you remember how the 1999-00 Devils went into the playoffs? Not saying that these Devils will accomplish what the 2000 Devils did, but fans like you always look to blow these losses up into so much more than they are. It was a friggin' skills-competition loss where they came back down from two goals! Was it really soooooooooooo bad?

And what standard are you holding this team to? I think most realistic fans give them a shot to win a round if they can stay away from Pittsburgh, Boston, Philly and the Rangers. Beyond that, I couldn't make them the favorite against any of those teams. Face it, the Devils are about the 5th-best team in the Eastern Conference. They're going to need a hell of a lot of breaks to get past two rounds, let alone the SCF.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

C'mon, everything's Marty's fault. The sharks are smellin' chum in the water tonight...

14 saves on 17 shots and 0-3 in the shootout is not a good night...granted Marty hasn't been the problem of late, but he needed to be better last night. He wasn't exactly facing Bure, Lafleur, and Bossy in the shootout either

The first goal was unstoppable...but you've got to get either the Steckel goal (bigtime sniper :rolleyes: ) or the Kadri one late in the 2nd.

Edited by '7'

This game wasn't about establishing home ice.

It was about perhaps a Stanley Cup contender beating an awful Maple Leafs team.

They had a lot of shots on goal but obviously they weren't good enough shots to win the game.

The Devils play just as well, if not better on the road anyway Imo.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

14 saves on 17 shots and 0-3 in the shootout is not a good night...granted Marty hasn't been the problem of late, but he needed to be better last night. He wasn't exactly facing Bure, Lafleur, and Bossy in the shootout either

The first goal was unstoppable...but you've got to get either the Steckel goal (bigtime sniper :rolleyes: ) or the Kadri one late in the 2nd.

the reason why Steckel doesn't score many goals is because he doesn't often get the puck wide open in the slot.

What you just did was no different than a baseball fan who sees a 3-for-3 night that consists of an infield single, a seeing-eye ground ball single, and a bloop double but focuses only on the 3-for-3 in the box score and says, "Wow, that guy had a great night."

Marty had some good saves in that game...not every game where the goalie has a poor save percentage automatically means the goalie played badly.

As for the shootout...the guy had only given up 3 goals on his first 18 shots this season. Yeah, last night wasn't one of his better shootouts, but he was 6-1 in shootouts this season going into last night, and is 41-21 lifetime. But heaven forbid some fans ever cut the guy just a little slack.

I don't understand how anyone can criticize Marty for the shootout last night when he had been excellent all season. Last nights 0 for 3 was bound to happen eventually and just move on from it.

And this comes from someone who has had no problems criticizing Marty in the past.

the reason why Steckel doesn't score many goals is because he doesn't often get the puck wide open in the slot.

Yeah, I don't know how the goalie gets blame for that mess. That sequence was a totally pathetic display of defense. Especially since the game was moving at half-speed with those guys out there.

It wasn't pretty and in alot of ways mirrored the Devils/Leafs, but the Rangers took care of business in Toronto. What you'd expect from a team battling for the top spot in the conference and league playing a team that's been atrocious for the better part of two months.

Uh, really? The Rangers won in a shootout. The Devils lost in a shootout. The Rangers hardly outshot the Leafs, and I watched a good portion of the game, the Leafs weren't dominated. Unlike last night when the Leafs were dominated pretty much all night besides a 10 minute stretch in the 2nd.