GDT: Devils @ Penguins 7pm

Scottie2Hottie

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so in other words you're going to be a Mets fan forever. If the Devils go 2-4 in their last 6, guess what - Buffalo has to go 5-1 to beat us. Stop believing that winning streaks are relevant at all, they're not. Buffalo and Washington are getting the bounces, neither team is playing great hockey.

You're nuts if you don't think the Devils competed tonight. They did. They got beat by a better team, because Pittsburgh is right now the best team in the NHL. They missed some open nets, Pittsburgh didn't, but the Devils definitely gave them a fight.

Oh, and also, FYI: The Devils have 31 ROW. The Sabres have 30. No guarantees at all that they would have the tiebreaker.

I'm just telling you, they better win Tuesday or I don't get a good feeling about this. You know they'll find a way to screw up the 'easy' stretch against Tampa, Carolina and the Isles and go no better than 1-1-1. They'll almost certainly lose in Detroit, so if they lose this Tuesday they could well be playing for their lives on Fan Appreciation Night.

Winning streaks are very relevant at the end of the season, bubble teams can get very hot since they're the most desperate at this time of year. Plus Buffalo and Washington both have talent, they were underachieving dramatically for the most part this year in fact. Our main solace might be the fact that Florida and Ottawa aren't playing as well. Even if the Caps and Buffalo stay hot, the other teams might muddle around enough for it not to matter.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm just telling you, they better win Tuesday or I don't get a good feeling about this. You know they'll find a way to screw up the 'easy' stretch against Tampa, Carolina and the Isles and go no better than 1-1-1. They'll almost certainly lose in Detroit, so if they lose this Tuesday they could well be playing for their lives on Fan Appreciation Night.

How many times do we have to go through this? You can't play win-loss in hockey. Remember when everyone thought Florida had it made in the shade with their upcoming stretch of games over in the Race for 6th thread? They're playing against probably the 6 worst teams in the league all in a row, and so far they've started 0-1-2. 2 points out of an 'easy' 6. The most they can get now out of this stretch is 8, and everyone was penciling them in for 10 or 12.

Winning streaks are very relevant at the end of the season, bubble teams can get very hot since they're the most desperate at this time of year. Plus Buffalo and Washington both have talent, they were underachieving dramatically for the most part this year in fact.

Buffalo doesn't have talent. Or, I mean, they do, but it's just not very good. Buffalo doesn't have a top team, they have at best, an average team. Washington, too, I overrated them coming into the year for sure, but with Backstrom out, Green a shadow of his former self, and Ovechkin not playing the kind of hockey he was playing 2-3 years ago, they're not that good of a team.

Edited by Triumph

How many times do we have to go through this? You can't play win-loss in hockey. Remember when everyone thought Florida had it made in the shade with their upcoming stretch of games over in the Race for 6th thread? They're playing against probably the 6 worst teams in the league all in a row, and so far they've started 0-1-2. 2 points out of an 'easy' 6. The most they can get now out of this stretch is 8, and everyone was penciling them in for 10 or 12.

Buffalo doesn't have talent. Or, I mean, they do, but it's just not very good. Buffalo doesn't have a top team, they have at best, an average team. Washington, too, I overrated them coming into the year for sure, but with Backstrom out, Green a shadow of his former self, and Ovechkin not playing the kind of hockey he was playing 2-3 years ago, they're not that good of a team.

Edit: First of a double post.

Edited by devilsrule33

Backstrom is cleared for full contact and will be back for the playoffs. Ovechkin is the hottest player in the league with 9 goals in his last 7 games. Very impressive that in a terrible season, he has a solid chance at 40 goals still.

The Capitals seem to lack the depth they once had though. I don't think anyone was ever scared of Florida no matter their record. People were just worried that they might pass Boston if they kept it up. Just like people are worried about Boston no matter how much they were struggling.

If I was playing win-loss I'd give the Devils two wins 'at least' in that three-game stretch but since they've been ****ing up games against bad teams for weeks, it likely won't be as good as it should be. And funny how this unbeatable Penguin team that looks like the '70's Russians against us the last two times lost to Ottawa. What a novel concept, a playoff team beating another playoff team. It'd be nice to see that again before we're on the golf course in late April :P

Even if we limp into the postseason playing .500 hockey for a month and not looking good doing it (we only beat Colorado and Ottawa cause they were tired as well, and our goalies played well), how long are they going to last even if they do get Florida? Either way this team needs to pick it up and they need to pick it up now, enough with the spring hibernation please. We're not a great team but we're better than the crap we've been throwing out there for two weeks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This time of the year is wonky. You have teams that "want" it more in Pittsburgh or teams that have to play over their heads because their lives are on the line like Buffalo or Washington. This factors into it, especially when the DEvils are pretty solidified in their current position. It is what it is.

The Devils have played OK, can certainly play better - but they just got some new lines. The rest of the season is about getting those lines in order, we have too much talent out there to not get 6 points in 6 games combined with other teams playing too.

Im not too down about the game. We played well, did the right things, missed several easy chances. The puck just doesnt go in for us. However, Zajac looked great, as did the 4th line...we're doing the right things, just gotta clean up the bonehead individual mistakes...the pucks gotta go in eventually right?

poor zids on the front page of NHL.com LOL getting schooled twice by Sid will get you noticed

pens made us pay for our mistakes containing crosby and malkin for 60 mins is difficult, although we did contain malkin thanks to marty doing his hedberg

even our two quickest defensemen had troubles with the fast pitt rushes

clarkson with sykora better generate some shots and chances because they are trouble in our D zone

Im half and half regarding the arguements here, yes we can control possession and generate shots and dont look outclassed in a macro sense. but the lack of scoring is a concern because it is over a multi-game period of time, and at times we do look outclassed on an individual basis where our slow D gets beaten badly

on a good note, thought Henrique had a good game, goon hockey appears to be done! 4th like looks REAL, bernier and carter played decent

like the tuna says, "you are what your record says you are!"

If I was playing win-loss I'd give the Devils two wins 'at least' in that three-game stretch but since they've been ****ing up games against bad teams for weeks, it likely won't be as good as it should be. And funny how this unbeatable Penguin team that looks like the '70's Russians against us the last two times lost to Ottawa. What a novel concept, a playoff team beating another playoff team. It'd be nice to see that again before we're on the golf course in late April :P

Even if we limp into the postseason playing .500 hockey for a month and not looking good doing it (we only beat Colorado and Ottawa cause they were tired as well, and our goalies played well), how long are they going to last even if they do get Florida? Either way this team needs to pick it up and they need to pick it up now, enough with the spring hibernation please. We're not a great team but we're better than the crap we've been throwing out there for two weeks.

The Devils are playing way better than you think. Of course, there's excuses for all the Devils wins and blame for the Devils losses. Of course.

How have they been fvcking up games against bad teams for 'weeks'? When have they even played any bad teams? The last non-playoff team they played was the Leafs, who they crushed and got zero bounces until they trailed, before that, you've got to go back to their games against the Islanders, where they took 4 out of 6 points.

EDIT: Just looked it up, NJ is 9-3-1 against teams that are out of the playoff race since January 1.

Also, why again do we care how well the Devils are doing going into the playoffs? Are we just conveniently forgetting about 2000 or pretending it doesn't exist? It doesn't matter what your record is going into the playoffs. DeBoer thinks so too. He's looking for scoring chances from his lines, not necessarily goals. He understands that goals come when you generate scoring chances. Getting the bounces before the playoffs doesn't at all assure a team of getting them in the playoffs.

Edited by Triumph

A) 2000 they needed a coaching change. The Ftorek death spiral didn't mean as much when Larry got a few games in with them

B) Basically every year since 2003 they've gone into the playoffs playing crappy, usually cause they have a spot sewn up, and it sure didn't help. 2006 was the exception, and they carried that roll into the playoffs until the long break killed their momentum.

C) January 1? I said weeks not months. The dreary Sunday afternoon games with the Lightning and Isles as well as the Leaf fiasco were all in the past month.

A) 2000 they needed a coaching change. The Ftorek death spiral didn't mean as much when Larry got a few games in with them

B) Basically every year since 2003 they've gone into the playoffs playing crappy, usually cause they have a spot sewn up, and it sure didn't help. 2006 was the exception, and they carried that roll into the playoffs until the long break killed their momentum.

C) January 1? I said weeks not months. The dreary Sunday afternoon games with the Lightning and Isles as well as the Leaf fiasco were all in the past month.

In fairness, I think it was '98 or '99 when the Devils went 13-3-3 or something like that heading into the playoffs, but went bye-bye in the first round. In a perfect world we'd all like to see the Devils playing at the top of their games heading into the postseason, but regular season performance doesn't always correlate to postseason performance, especially in the NHL.

Strangely enough, what I've seen in most of the playoff series losses since '04 has been the same thing, and I've brought it up ad nauseum...the Devils have a way of looking so much slower than their opponents, and easily overwhelmed (hence the reason they seem to lose so many series in just five games). What makes it so puzzling is that this seems to happen year after year (since '04 anyway), no matter who the Devils throw out there on the ice, or who the playoff opponent is...it's not like all of the faces and names on the ice and behind the bench have been the same throughout that time.

Forget about 2000. How about 2006? Closing out the regular season with 11 straight wins got us all the way to the promised land of ... a second round exit.

Lock down a berth and stay healthy ( :pray: ). That's all I'm hoping for right now.

In fairness, I think it was '98 or '99 when the Devils went 13-3-3 or something like that heading into the playoffs, but went bye-bye in the first round. In a perfect world we'd all like to see the Devils playing at the top of their games heading into the postseason, but regular season performance doesn't always correlate to postseason performance, especially in the NHL.

Strangely enough, what I've seen in most of the playoff series losses since '04 has been the same thing, and I've brought it up ad nauseum...the Devils have a way of looking so much slower than their opponents, and easily overwhelmed (hence the reason they seem to lose so many series in just five games). What makes it so puzzling is that this seems to happen year after year (since '04 anyway), no matter who the Devils throw out there on the ice, or who the playoff opponent is...it's not like all of the faces and names on the ice and behind the bench have been the same throughout that time.

The names have usually included Pandolfo or Madden though, so there's a start.

This is probably the best team since 2003, the big question is the goaltending. Everything else I'm not that worried about.

Edited by Triumph

It's worse when they don't ****ing compete, and by and large they haven't competed for two weeks now. They've been lucky to get a couple wins out of it but now they're at a point where they're one loss away from being in panic mode, since they're only six points up on the playoffs, and have tiebreakers on nobody so in effect it's like being five points up on two white-hot teams.

You're encouraged by back-to-back 5-2 losses? We really can't compete with the Penguins, but we probably won't have to worry about playing them anyway unless we 'only' have a mini-collapse and finish eighth.

Finally.

Someone who has the same feelings I do.

I'm sick of everyone saying 'no big deal. We didn't NEED this game.'

fvck that.

If we won half of the games we said that about this season the Devils would be in first place.

They are playing dreadful right now.

If they can't string together 3-4 wins in a row now, when it matters, heading into the playoffs, how the hell do we expect this team to string together wins in order to win a playoff series?

Also let's keep in mind the Devils last two wins, they didn't score a goal in regulation or OT against the Avs and they scored one goal against a team without it's best player (Sens, Speeza)

Other than that the Devils have been getting their asses handed to them. Wow. We outshoot teams sometimes. Who cares.

The best thing going for this team right now is Zajacs return and Moose playing the way he does when he's finally called upon.

Marty is starting to tire and last night was hard evidence with the first and second goal.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I'm okay with the game last night, mostly because Pittsburgh is playing blistering offensive hockey and if they go into the playoffs like this, I don't think any team is going to be able to beat them.

If the Penguins remain 4th seed I can see them losing in the second round.

The Flyers will not go easy on them that's for sure.

Finally.

Someone who has the same feelings I do.

I'm sick of everyone saying 'no big deal. We didn't NEED this game.'

fvck that.

If we won half of the games we said that about this season the Devils would be in first place.

They are playing dreadful right now.

If they can't string together 3-4 wins in a row now, when it matters, heading into the playoffs, how the hell do we expect this team to string together wins in order to win a playoff series?

Also let's keep in mind the Devils last two wins, they didn't score a goal in regulation or OT against the Avs and they scored one goal against a team without it's best player (Sens, Speeza)

Other than that the Devils have been getting their asses handed to them. Wow. We outshoot teams sometimes. Who cares.

The best thing going for this team right now is Zajacs return and Moose playing the way he does when he's finally called upon.

Marty is starting to tire and last night was hard evidence with the first and second goal.

They scored one goal against a Spezza-less Senators? When did Spezza start playing defense or goal?

How many times do people have to say wins and loses aren't what matter? They battled last night and didn't get the bounces. Same thing happened Friday night. They were all over the Leafs and just couldn't get a bounce. That's the way it goes. It's a SIXTH PLACE TEAM. Why are you expecting undefeated streaks? They are EXACTLY what you'd expect from a 6th place team. You are searching long and hard for anything negative.

This is real hockey. You can't just say 'hey, do better', and then the team wins. As for Marty... how was the first goal because he was tired?? In 90% of those cases, the wings pinch in and the center stays high. Marty didn't realize Malkin was charging in, and no one else picked him up, either. Marty makes that play 10 times a night and no one notices until the one time it doesn't go well.

There's been some panic over the last games heading into the playoffs, so here are the final 10 games for playoff years since 94:

1994: 5-4-1 (conference finals)

1995: 5-4-1 (cup)

1997: 6-3-1 (second round)

1998: 3-5-2 (first round)

1999: 8-2-0 (first round)

2000: 5-5-0 (cup)

2001: 8-2-0 (finals)

2002: 8-2-0 (first round)

2003: 5-1-4 (cup)

2004: 6-3-1 (first round)

2006: 10-0-0 (second round)

2007: 6-4-0 (second round)

2008: 4-5-1 (first round)

2009: 4-5-1 (first round)

2010: 5-2-3 (first round)

As you can see, "finishing strong" doesn't really change much.

They scored one goal against a Spezza-less Senators? When did Spezza start playing defense or goal?

How many times do people have to say wins and loses aren't what matter? They battled last night and didn't get the bounces. Same thing happened Friday night. They were all over the Leafs and just couldn't get a bounce. That's the way it goes. It's a SIXTH PLACE TEAM. Why are you expecting undefeated streaks? They are EXACTLY what you'd expect from a 6th place team. You are searching long and hard for anything negative.

This is real hockey. You can't just say 'hey, do better', and then the team wins. As for Marty... how was the first goal because he was tired?? In 90% of those cases, the wings pinch in and the center stays high. Marty didn't realize Malkin was charging in, and no one else picked him up, either. Marty makes that play 10 times a night and no one notices until the one time it doesn't go well.

This would be a great time for a slow clap...well said DD56

Exactly.

Just like we got all the calls and bounces in the games right after the all-star break, we are now getting all the calls and bounces against us. It happens and seems to come in waves.

We still have 6 games to completely right the ship. A ship that is in no danger of sinking even at this moment.