Our Pick From a Year Ago

Derlique

It is tough for Larsson to have no mentor on this team to teach him how to play like a top defenseman because we don't have one. So, I think Larsson needs more time to develop by learning more painful lessons from the opponents. I predict Adam will be a consistent No. 1 on our team 7 years later. I know it is a bit too long, but unless this team acquires a No. 1 stud blue liner; I will give Larsson more time to develop.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is tough for Larsson to have no mentor on this team to teach him how to play like a top defenseman because we don't have one. So, I think Larsson needs more time to develop by learning more painful lessons from the opponents. I predict Adam will be a consistent No. 1 on our team 7 years later. I know it is a bit too long, but unless this team acquires a No. 1 stud blue liner; I will give Larsson more time to develop.

Larry Robinson says hello.

Larry Robinson says hello.

I mean players Larsson can learn and lean on during games. Some of our defenseman (rafalski, Martin, White) gain confidence by pairing with the Scotties (Stevens and Niedermayer). Eventually, they all become solid defenseman. I think Raffy and Martin are good No. 2 defenseman if they pair with a true no. 1 while White is a solid No. 4 during his prime. But Larsson has nobody he can rely on because he does not have a calming veteran playing beside him. Larry, yes, is a legend, but he will never be Larsson's defensive partner on the ice. That is why I think Larsson might take a longer time to become our top D-man.

I mean players Larsson can learn and lean on during games. Some of our defenseman (rafalski, Martin, White) gain confidence by pairing with the Scotties (Stevens and Niedermayer). Eventually, they all become solid defenseman. I think Raffy and Martin are good No. 2 defenseman if they pair with a true no. 1 while White is a solid No. 4 during his prime. But Larsson has nobody he can rely on because he does not have a calming veteran playing beside him. Larry, yes, is a legend, but he will never be Larsson's defensive partner on the ice. That is why I think Larsson might take a longer time to become our top D-man.

I see where you're coming from, and its a valid point. I misunderstood exactly what you meant in your original post. No doubt, having that kind of presence would help (meaning a Stevens or a Nieds). But I don't neccassarily think the lack of a HOF d-man on our blue line to learn from will stunt or slow down Larsson's growth. I actually think we have a good mentor for him in Tallinder. He's not Stevens or Niedermayer, but he did a real nice job helping Tyler Myers along in his rookie year with Buffalo.

Edited by MadDog2020

Not necessarily. One can call Kurtis Foster an offensive defenseman, but he clearly stinks. But you would hope there should be a lot of offensive skill even if it doesn't always turn up on the stat sheet. After 95-96, Scott Stevens never put up more than 31 points in a season. However, he was much more than a "shut down" defenseman.

I don't think you know what I mean by a shutdown defenseman, so I think we're talking past each other. Bryce Salvador is decidedly not what I am talking about - he's above-average on the PK, below-average at even strength. I'm talking about a guy who goes up against the opposition's best and beats them to at least even. Salvador rarely takes on the opposition's best and when he does, he usually gets crushed. This type of player is just as difficult to find as a top-line forward and just as valuable.

Also, I can't speak for Hedman, but one of Larsson's great strengths is supposed to be his vision when making outlet passes from the defensive zone. Even when a goal is scored, he wouldn't have an assist tallied.

Supposed to? No, it is, you can see it even on games where he's playing poorly. But Hedman is great at denying people time and space. It's an enormous skill.

I don't think you know what I mean by a shutdown defenseman, so I think we're talking past each other. Bryce Salvador is decidedly not what I am talking about - he's above-average on the PK, below-average at even strength. I'm talking about a guy who goes up against the opposition's best and beats them to at least even. Salvador rarely takes on the opposition's best and when he does, he usually gets crushed. This type of player is just as difficult to find as a top-line forward and just as valuable.

Supposed to? No, it is, you can see it even on games where he's playing poorly. But Hedman is great at denying people time and space. It's an enormous skill.

Came here to post the second part. I want Larsson to start showing more snarl, like Hedman. I know it will come with more time (and muscle) but that's something our D needs.

Another point to add to for Larsson... This is the most amount of games he's every played professionally. He played 49 and 37 games the last 2 years. He's at 64 now.

Eh, no. Last year he played 37 regular season games, 17 in the playoffs, 6 in the WJC and 15 more international junior games.