Well Done David Clarkson

Neb00rs

Well, the surprise of the year is Clarkson scoring 30 goals. Almost everyone here called him "overpaid" in one way or another when he signed his new contract and believe it or not he has more than lived up to it. He takes care of the enforcing on our team and still found time to almost double his career high in goals and already match his career high in assists. He sits at at 21st in the league in goals, above the likes of Marian Hossa and Patrick Marleau...wait did I really just say that? blink.gif

Clarkson deserves a thread of congrats and notoriety - so: WAY TO GO CLARKY!

EDIT: I thought I'd throw in this from TG's blog: "Clarkson’s 30th goal also turned out to be his team-leading seventh game-winner of the season."

Edited by ben00rs

I for one thought him a waste of space... I would have bet serious money against anyone who wanted to bet on 30 goals

Lou knew DeBoer would be good for him... Kudos to an amazing year.

I do miss him fighting though...

I made a thread during the preseason blasting Clarkson because he had one of the worst games I ever saw anyone play. But I am happy to say that I am wrong and Clarkson is now an important piece to this team.

Edited by Zubie#8

I remember on opening night when we were getting blitzed by the Phailures, Clarkson was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, trying to pick fights, taking stupid penalties, and otherwise just acting like a fvcking jerk off. This right off of his lousy year last year, and you didn't really get the warm and fuzzies that he was ever gonna get back to his circa 2009 self. If you told me that night he would score 30 goals this season, I would've asked you who your dealer was. An amazing season for Clarky that I hope he can carry over into the playoffs. Congrats on 30 Clarky.

Clarkson's had a hell of a year. It took a lot of luck to get 30 goals. He'll be the first to admit (and I've heard him say it many times in interviews) that he's been the benefit of so many lucky bounces this season (be it shots off his body or taking teammates goals at the goal line), but he's still improved his game a lot this year. He's strong on the puck, and he's avoided doing the same two moves every second.

I was wondering how rare this season is historically. I'm talking about a guy who has been in the league for 5-6 years getting a 30-goal season without ever having a 20-goal year. And I am not talking about guys doing it their rookie year or 2nd or 3rd year in the league where they hit their stride (Parise got 31 goals in his second year after 14 in his first. Semin got 38 goals after 10 during his rookie season..etc.) Because that has probably happened many times. But someone like Clarkson who has been around for 5 to 6 years or so. Remember Clarkson's top two goal campaigns combined didn't even equal 30 goals (17 and 12).

Haven't found many so far. Mike Knuble scored 30 goals at the age of 30 after seasons of 7 and 8 goals. He also got to play on a line with Thornton and Murray though. But he did score 20 or more goals 7 straight seasons after. Olli Jokinen followed a 9-goal campaign with 36 in 2002. And Marty St. Louis had his first 30-goal seaosn at the age of 27. His previous high was 18.

I am sure there are a few more examples out there, but needless to say, this is very uncommon.

Clarkson's had a hell of a year. It took a lot of luck to get 30 goals. He'll be the first to admit (and I've heard him say it many times in interviews) that he's been the benefit of so many lucky bounces this season (be it shots off his body or taking teammates goals at the goal line), but he's still improved his game a lot this year. He's strong on the puck, and he's avoided doing the same two moves every second.

I was wondering how rare this season is historically. I'm talking about a guy who has been in the league for 5-6 years getting a 30-goal season without ever having a 20-goal year. And I am not talking about guys doing it their rookie year or 2nd or 3rd year in the league where they hit their stride (Parise got 31 goals in his second year after 14 in his first. Semin got 38 goals after 10 during his rookie season..etc.) Because that has probably happened many times. But someone like Clarkson who has been around for 5 to 6 years or so. Remember Clarkson's top two goal campaigns combined didn't even equal 30 goals (17 and 12).

Haven't found many so far. Mike Knuble scored 30 goals at the age of 30 after seasons of 7 and 8 goals. He also got to play on a line with Thornton and Murray though. But he did score 20 or more goals 7 straight seasons after. Olli Jokinen followed a 9-goal campaign with 36 in 2002. And Marty St. Louis had his first 30-goal seaosn at the age of 27. His previous high was 18.

I am sure there are a few more examples out there, but needless to say, this is very uncommon.

You're forgetting one of our own: Scott Gomez. Five seasons of 19 goals or less to start his career, then 33 goals in '05-'06, and no more than 16 in any season since. Granted, '05-'06 was a goofy year statistically, almost so much so that you can nearly throw out some of those numbers (Gio's 48 goals anyone?). But Gomez fits your criteria.

As for Clarkson, can't say I'd ever expect another season like this one, but even with all the freaky puck luck he enjoyed this year, he can look back on his career and say he had a 30-goal season...pretty damned good for an undrafted player. So good for Clarky. But if he ever DID repeat this season next year, scary to think of the money that might await him ($4 mil or more per year...not outlandish when Brandon Dubinsky is making that much)...more than he ever thought he'd get I'm sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

not only 30 goals, but some BIG ONEs too! and his game HAS improved. he's made good passes off his strong board work, he's looking up when he feels that instant of spece

how many penalties has he drawn, quite a few this year. he's strong on his edges, for a so so skater cut another inch off your stick next year clarlsy , congrats

You're forgetting one of our own: Scott Gomez. Five seasons of 19 goals or less to start his career, then 33 goals in '05-'06, and no more than 16 in any season since. Granted, '05-'06 was a goofy year statistically, almost so much so that you can nearly throw out some of those numbers (Gio's 48 goals anyone?). But Gomez fits your criteria.

You're right. Nice catch. For some reason I was thinking Gomez had 20-50-70 his rookie season and not the actual 19-51-70.

Edited by devilsrule33

not only 30 goals, but some BIG ONEs too! and his game HAS improved. he's made good passes off his strong board work, he's looking up when he feels that instant of spece

how many penalties has he drawn, quite a few this year. he's strong on his edges, for a so so skater cut another inch off your stick next year clarlsy , congrats

Maybe he's learning a bit from Matt Duchene. They skate with eachother every offseason too.

The best thing about Clarkson is, while he might not score 30 again, I think there is still a lot of room for him to get better overall as a player. His passing has improved slightly this season as well which many people do not talk about. He seems like a guy you definitely want to go to battle with and in your locker room.

He has come a long way from the Clarkson hat trick of his early years: Toe drag, wrap around, and fall down.

He really has earned his 30 this year and it was special to see him get it on his birthday.

Found this banter pretty funny fromn NJ.com:

“I was real happy. It’s definitely well-deserved," Brodeur said. "He's scored a lot of big goals for us. Goals that are important for a hockey team. He got stuck at 28 for a little while. It’s nice he’s got two goal in the last two games.

“Thirty is a lot, especially for him. I had to say that. I couldn’t be nice all the time.”

Clarkson’s goal was his seventh game-winner. That leads the team.

“I should’ve just let one in,” Brodeur joked.

That would’ve given Ilya Kovalchuk the winner.

Told about Brodeur’s comment, Clarkson said: “I believe that."

I like how Clarkson worked on his skill set this year. Sure, he had some luck backing him up in the goal department, but he also takes a ton of shots and plants himself around the net... you're bound to get some "lucky" ones when you play that way. He also did a pretty good job of filing down some of the flaws in his game. He's less predictable in the offensive zone (less wrap-arounds/toe drags) and does a better job of staying on his feet along the boards. Though he'll always be a scorer and not a playmaker, he has gotten a bit better at distributing the puck too. Just a great all-around season for him.

There's no reason we shouldn't expect at least 20-25 goals from him next season as well. Wonder what kind of contract he would get if he re-signed here after that?

Just some quick points on why he is enjoying a career year:

1. He worked very hard in the offseason with a skating coach that improved his overall stability, but I think more importantly, the coach made him cut off about 2 inches of his stick. His previous stick was a log. These guys can tell a 1/4 of inch withou much problem, so for him to make that radical equipment change is impressive.

2. Skating with Matt D daily could only help, that kid can skate.

3. He is getting a ton of PP time.

4. Peter D definately provides a fire under his @ss to play his best.

5. He has fully healed from his injury. Yes, it was a long time ago, but sometime major injuries still tend to nag or prevent full flexibility while skating.

Well, the surprise of the year is Clarkson scoring 30 goals. Almost everyone here called him "overpaid" in one way or another when he signed his new contract and believe it or not he has more than lived up to it. He takes care of the enforcing on our team and still found time to almost double his career high in goals and already match his career high in assists. He sits at at 21st in the league in goals, above the likes of Marian Hossa and Patrick Marleau...wait did I really just say that? blink.gif

Clarkson deserves a thread of congrats and notoriety - so: WAY TO GO CLARKY!

EDIT: I thought I'd throw in this from TG's blog: "Clarkson’s 30th goal also turned out to be his team-leading seventh game-winner of the season."

You jinxed him with this thread