Cangialosi wins two NY Emmy awards

ddubs11

If he had a competent play-by-play guy he would definitely be better. I don't hate him as much as I used to. I guess at this point I could say I'm neutral about his calls. He doesn't add to the excitement of the game like Doc did, at least not to me, but he doesn't drag it down too horribly anymore either. He definitely makes a lot of mistakes. And sometimes it annoys me when he has no idea why there is a stoppage in play, when it was obvious that there was a penalty called or that there was a hand pass. He doesn't seem to pick things like that up very well. He needs to cut back on the unintentional catchphrases (sharp angle shot really needs to stop). But overall, I guess I can agree that he's improved marginally. Although I think a bigger part of it is we've just adjusted our expectations down to his level from the Doc level.

I really do not understand the severe criticisms of Cangi in this. I think a lot of it stems from people never hearing some of the other announcers in the league outside of the area teams. Cangi is at least better than half of the PBP announcers out there for sure, and possibly even better than a few more.

He makes mistakes but he is human too. I noticed last year Doc was making plenty of mistakes, but that could be because of age or just being worn out a bit (he called a large amount of games the past 5 years). Cangi will get better at that over time.

Also I really cant believe those who are going after Cangi for his catchphrases like sharp angle shot. Like Doc never used "pitchforked", "big drive!!!" at leasta dozen times a game.

Just give Cangi a break.

Also I really cant believe those who are going after Cangi for his catchphrases like sharp angle shot. Like Doc never used "pitchforked", "big drive!!!" at leasta dozen times a game.

Just give Cangi a break.

If you listen to people who don't like Doc, their list of reasons shares similarities to the list of reasons Devils fans give for disliking Cangialosi, annoying voice and repeated phrases ranking high among them.

Cango may be a Casey Kasem-sounding orange midget, but by God, he's our Casey Kasem-sounding orange midget now. Just like Chico is our irrelevantly babbling clown, Stan is our curmudgeonly old drunk, Dano is our block-headed drunk, and now Deb is our crooked-mouthed BILF (broadcaster I'd like to ... well ... you get the point). And no matter how bad some may feel our broadcast team is, it's better than having Micheletti and Trautwig every single night. And he really isn't that bad. Might as well get used to it.

If you listen to people who don't like Doc, their list of reasons shares similarities to the list of reasons Devils fans give for disliking Cangialosi, annoying voice and repeated phrases ranking high among them.

Cango may be a Casey Kasem-sounding orange midget, but by God, he's our Casey Kasem-sounding orange midget now. Just like Chico is our irrelevantly babbling clown, Stan is our curmudgeonly old drunk, Dano is our block-headed drunk, and now Deb is our crooked-mouthed BILF (broadcaster I'd like to ... well ... you get the point). And no matter how bad some may feel our broadcast team is, it's better than having Micheletti and Trautwig every single night. And he really isn't that bad. Might as well get used to it.

True points but I do think they should think for a little bit before comparing a rookie PBP guy with Doc who is probably the best all-time. I guess it is just human.

However with Michaletti, I do think he is actually not bad and do not get the hate for him. Towards the last couple of seasons JD was going senile and would make up plays in his head that would no way match what was going on the ice and was constantly correcting himself. I guess again he was an institution with the Rags like Doc was for the Devils so I think what Michaletti is getting is a lot of what Cangi is getting from Devils fans.

Edited by DevsMan84

I liked Micheletti when he covered the Isles with Howie and when he worked the Olympics two years back. But his homerism with the Rangers is vomit-inducing, IMO. When he works Rangers games, he reaches a Jim Jackson level of unlistenability to me.

I liked Micheletti when he covered the Isles with Howie and when he worked the Olympics two years back. But his homerism with the Rangers is vomit-inducing, IMO. When he works Rangers games, he reaches a Jim Jackson level of unlistenability to me.

That's just Sam's garbage rubbing off on him. When he is not following Sam's lead in the homer junk in between plays he is pretty good.

I personally can't stand Micheletti (partially b/c I'm a Devils fan and partially b/c he sucks). He acts like everything and everyone is out to get the Rangers, and they can do nothing wrong. When they lose, it's because they played poorly and he gives no credit to the other team. A soft dump from center is a great save by the Queen, and when the puck clangs off the post behind him, it's because of that metro's perfect positioning that forced the shooter to hit the post.

However, Rosen and JD are/were no better. I think being a complete unabashed homer is a requirement of that job. You can't criticize the team, at any cost, and must make it seem like they are a collection of Greek Gods that can piss lightning and crap thunder.

Overall, all 3 area teams have pretty good announcers compared to some of the other clowns in the league.

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 2

I personally can't stand Micheletti (partially b/c I'm a Devils fan and partially b/c he sucks). He acts like everything and everyone is out to get the Rangers, and they can do nothing wrong. When they lose, it's because they played poorly and he gives no credit to the other team. A soft dump from center is a great save by the Queen, and when the puck clangs off the post behind him, it's because of that metro's perfect positioning that forced the shooter to hit the post.

However, Rosen and JD are/were no better. I think being a complete unabashed homer is a requirement of that job. You can't criticize the team, at any cost, and must make it seem like they are a collection of Greek Gods that can piss lightning and crap thunder.

Overall, all 3 area teams have pretty good announcers compared to some of the other clowns in the league.

FWIW when JD and Michaletti were not paired up with Sam, they were pretty good. I really do think it is Sam rubbing off on them.

Steve is getting a bit better. Here are his problems IMO

1. Voice is kind of like one of those annoying wacky morning radio show DJ's. This can be fixed.
  2. Shat Scar
  3. Needs a list of alternatives to "Sharp Angle Shot"
  4. Doesn't seem to have the most hockey knowledge, but is learning.

Yeah, this is a pretty good list. Emrick is the master of switching up verbs, but Cangelosi uses the same phrases over and over again. In addition, Cangelosi misidentifies players a lot, but he does so with players who shoot with a different hand, which is a mistake that I don't quite understand. He's getting better, but he's still not all the way there.

Edited by Triumph

If he is getting better (and that's debatable) it's because he was so bad to begin with! He can only improve. It's not his voice per se that annoys me, but his fake broadcasting voice.

I am in no way comparing him to Doc, there is no comparison.

Of course all play by play guys have signature phrases, but the problem is a sharp angle shot is not a shot from the faceoff circle! He uses it

to describe shots from all over the ice. He also really needs to expand his vocabulary, that has not improved at all.

As someone else said, he frequently gets plays wrong. Shots clearly off the post are described as great saves, whistles seem to confuse him. There have been penalties that he doesn't even mention!

He seems to want to be a color guy, because often he stops describing the action for long periods of time while he tries to impress us with his knowledge.

I guess you can see that I really don't enjoy listening to him at all. My hope that they fire him in the off season just took a hit when he won these 2 NY Emmys. I cannot imagine what it'll be like to listen to playoff games. Ugh.

Is it bad that I think of this when I think of Cangi?

If he is getting better (and that's debatable) it's because he was so bad to begin with! He can only improve. It's not his voice per se that annoys me, but his fake broadcasting voice.

I am in no way comparing him to Doc, there is no comparison.

Of course all play by play guys have signature phrases, but the problem is a sharp angle shot is not a shot from the faceoff circle! He uses it

to describe shots from all over the ice. He also really needs to expand his vocabulary, that has not improved at all.

As someone else said, he frequently gets plays wrong. Shots clearly off the post are described as great saves, whistles seem to confuse him. There have been penalties that he doesn't even mention!

He seems to want to be a color guy, because often he stops describing the action for long periods of time while he tries to impress us with his knowledge.

I guess you can see that I really don't enjoy listening to him at all. My hope that they fire him in the off season just took a hit when he won these 2 NY Emmys. I cannot imagine what it'll be like to listen to playoff games. Ugh.

Thank you... Beginning to think I was the only one who thought this

Haters gonna hate. No one will ever be as good as Doc, so get over it. If you think Cangi's bad, do some channel surfing the next time there's a Center Ice free preview and you'll see he's fairly decent compared to some of the so-called "talent" around the league.

Haters gonna hate. No one will ever be as good as Doc, so get over it. If you think Cangi's bad, do some channel surfing the next time there's a Center Ice free preview and you'll see he's fairly decent compared to some of the so-called "talent" around the league.

That's the whole problem though, you're right that he isn't the worst because there are a lot worse then him but others being sh!t doesn't excuse him being sh!t as well.

That's the whole problem though, you're right that he isn't the worst because there are a lot worse then him but others being sh!t doesn't excuse him being sh!t as well.

I really still do understand how he is sh!t though. I keep seeing the same criticisms of him and the same could be applied to even Doc.

Yes he uses the same catch phrases over and over again, but so did Doc with Big Drive, Pitchforked, as well as using the phrase "meanwhile, back at the ranch..."

Like Doc though, Cangi never uses dumb, over the top calling like the PBP announcer in Florida or being a complete homer like the Bruins announcer and the Pens announcers.

I really still do understand how he is sh!t though. I keep seeing the same criticisms of him and the same could be applied to even Doc.

Yes he uses the same catch phrases over and over again, but so did Doc with Big Drive, Pitchforked, as well as using the phrase "meanwhile, back at the ranch..."

Like Doc though, Cangi never uses dumb, over the top calling like the PBP announcer in Florida or being a complete homer like the Bruins announcer and the Pens announcers.

I don't like his voice or the fact that he looks like an elf with a fake tan.

I don't like his voice or the fact that he looks like an elf with a fake tan.

Do you even remember what Doc sounded like back in the mid 90's? His voice used to literally hurt my ears and I would put the volume pretty low. I guess either he realized or someone told him to tone it down and by the late 90's early 2000's his voice was def lower and less shrill.

As for looks, um I really do not see why that matters so much lol.

Give Cangi some time, he is getting better every game. Wish I could say that about our radio announcers, but that is another story.

Do you even remember what Doc sounded like back in the mid 90's? His voice used to literally hurt my ears and I would put the volume pretty low. I guess either he realized or someone told him to tone it down and by the late 90's early 2000's his voice was def lower and less shrill.

As for looks, um I really do not see why that matters so much lol.

Give Cangi some time, he is getting better every game. Wish I could say that about our radio announcers, but that is another story.

Yes I do and I still don't like Cangi and I never will. I had to deal with him calling the Red Bulls games before he did the Devils games full time and he was horrible then too.

and as far as looks the dude just bothers me, he screams "I'm fake"

I can see why some people like him and he is way better then most in the league but I still can't stand the guy but that's just my opinion so you can't convince me otherwise :P

and I agree about our radio announcers, I wish they would bring back Matt to take over Debs job, at least the Matt and the Maven segments were so ridiculous you just had to laugh at them.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Yes I do and I still don't like Cangi and I never will. I had to deal with him calling the Red Bulls games before he did the Devils games full time and he was horrible then too.

and as far as looks the dude just bothers me, he screams "I'm fake"

I can see why some people like him and he is way better then most in the league but I still can't stand the guy but that's just my opinion so you can't convince me otherwise :P

and I agree about our radio announcers, I wish they would bring back Matt to take over Debs job, at least the Matt and the Maven segments were so ridiculous you just had to laugh at them.

lol fair enough.

And yeah Matt just doesn't have the skills to be a radio PBP guy. In my opinion it is even harder to be the radio PBP announcer than on TV and you have to be very descriptive and quick with your announcing on the radio to give the audience a mental picture of the action. He just sounds bored and is always a good 5-10 seconds behind the play. I wish Mike Miller and Randy would do it again, but I know that is wishful thinking.

I do miss the Matt and the Maven segments though. lol those were great.