Marty Playing against Ottawa

msweet

I don't buy into the whole "rest" thing. I don't think resting players at the end of the season does anything to revitalize the player for the playoffs. It does however prevent injuries. Anytime during the season when you have something to play for, even it it;s game 82, you should play your best players. Even if it's just to move up a spot.

However, in this case WE cannot change anything with our next game. We are in sixth no matter what. There is no reason any of our top players should play and risk injury.

Look, one game won't suddenly tire Marty out. If him being tired in the postseason is going to hurt us it won't be because he played the one last regular season game. No big deal, plus he doesn't like not being in a game for awhile.

Yeah, giving him a full week between starts is wayyyyyyy dumber than having him play Saturday. He's at his best when he's got a regular workload, and I think DeBoer did a pretty good job of building him up to this level rather than just throwing him out there 70+ games.

It's not like other recent years - He's gotten better as the year went on and he played more and more regularly, and the early rest means there's less miles on him than usual this time of year.

The soonest he'll start after that is Wednesday at 7PM. That's 3 hours+Sunday->Monday->Tuesday->Wednesday = 99 hours of full and complete rest, plenty of time for Get Real to unbunch his giant-sized panties just in time for the playoffs.

Because MB30 says so.

And For those defending this, he's near 40, not 30. If he gives up softie after softie in round 1 again, do not be surprised. There's no reason why Kovy should be on the ice tomorrow either.

Edited by Marv4Life

A week off between starts is just too long, especially when the team is playing well the last couple of games. It's the last game to get everything set for the playoffs.

Keep in mind, with a very possible lock-out next season, unsure finances, and an expired contract, this also could possibly be Marty's last regular season start as a Devil.

A week off between starts is just too long, especially when the team is playing well the last couple of games. It's the last game to get everything set for the playoffs.

Keep in mind, with a very possible lock-out next season, unsure finances, and an expired contract, this also could possibly be Marty's last regular season start as a Devil.

Barring a lockout, Marty will be back next season....

And For those defending this, he's near 40, not 30. If he gives up softie after softie in round 1 again, do not be surprised. There's no reason why Kovy should be on the ice tomorrow either.

And Marty's started what, 60 games this year compared to the 75+ he started when he was tired in the playoffs? Not to mention one of the years he was particualrly bad in Round 1 (the Tampa series with all the shortside goals) was after he DID sit the final home game of the season and have a week off.

lastone and Risky nailed it in the posts before.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Still scarred from Andreychuk 1997...I wish we could just sub in Albany tomorrow

my point exactly... and when you play without and edge, bad things happen

Ottawa is playing to avoid #8 and the Rangers. We are playing to not get injured.

Play Albany, Boulton, Gionta, etc.

my point exactly... and when you play without and edge, bad things happen

Ottawa is playing to avoid #8 and the Rangers. We are playing to not get injured.

Play Albany, Boulton, Gionta, etc.

I don't disagree, but DeBoer isn't gonna rest anyone. He already said as much. Clarkson may sit because of his lower body issue and Harrold may sit for Larsson, but that's probably it.

Harrold may sit for Larsson, but that's probably it.

I agree with this statement, and that's crazy to me. Who is Harrold, and where did he suddenly come from?