EQF Game 2 - Playoff GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Florida Panthers

Steven M.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasted opportunity tonight. I don't know what they were doing the first two periods.

Can PDB just have the team watch video of the Flyers' series before the next game? That's a team that plays a full 60.

You mean that's a team that goes down by 1 or 2 before getting the goalie to fold like an exceptionally cheap suit. Gimme a break, the Flyers play a full 60.

That wasn't the happy-go-lucky PDB in the postgame after this one, he was pissed and rightly so. Any kind of an effort the first two periods and they might at least be going to OT, especially with what happened once they finally started playing in the third. But again, this team gets arrogant and gives away playoff games :rant:

The most discouraging thing about the first two games is our GREAT PK has come undone. And they still can't contain the top line at all.

How did we watch the same game?

Yeah, the Devils didn't play well. That's the key. HOWEVER:

- first PP goal is a tough bounce.

- second PP goal comes after a 2 minute 5 on 3 (tough bounce there too, but lol @ expecting to kill off a 2 minute 5 on 3)

- other goal is Marty playing terrible

Devils defense had a good game, the PK isn't what it was during the regular season, but I'm really not impressed with the Panthers after this game. They got a bunch of breaks, played against a team that didn't bring its A game, and still had to hang on to win it.

Edited by Triumph

Well, what can I say? First two periods were awful. We had nothing to cheer about at all. Then the third period was awesome. I said to my bud in the 2nd intermission, "well, I know a comeback is unlikely but I just hope they score a couple goals, make it interesting, and have that momentum carry over to Game 3." Well, similar to the end of Game 1 for Florida, they did just that. Hopefully it will carry over. Damn did they come so close to tying it though.

I was just glad they gave me something to smile about cause damn the first 40 were demoralizing. After the game I threw my Panthers rally towel in the trash which was well received. Then I came across a Panthers fan chanting "NEW JERSEY SUCKS BALLS! NEW JERSEY SUCKS BALLS!" so I told him he was the man, and then they said "Florida Panthers all the way!!!" So I told him yeah man! 12 years in the making! No reply to that...

Then someone was chanting "Newark is a sh!thole! Newark is a..." You stay classy south Florida!

I'm calling a big Devils win Tuesday. Now for the long drive home. I'll be back here Saturday.

I know I said playing the full 60 is fanspeak, but they need to play the fvcking full 60.

• Like 1

Parise has been unimpressive. He's playing like a glorified third liner.

And that call on clarkson in the first was bs. The officiating in this yrs playoffs have been unsurprisingly poor already.

I agree with triumph, the panthers weren't overly impressive. We should've done better tonight.

Edited by devlman

The panthers first two goals were lucky ass bounces too. Weiss was in good position to pick up the trash after some unfortunate deflections. The panthers are an awful team and it pisses me off to lose see us lose to them. They have two ES goals all series and needed a bogus five on three to score. Didn't help that Marty gave up that third one. If this team doesn't come out flyIng Tuesday, they don't deserve this

You mean that's a team that goes down by 1 or 2 before getting the goalie to fold like an exceptionally cheap suit. Gimme a break, the Flyers play a full 60.

How did we watch the same game?

Yeah, the Devils didn't play well. That's the key. HOWEVER:

- first PP goal is a tough bounce.

- second PP goal comes after a 2 minute 5 on 3 (tough bounce there too, but lol @ expecting to kill off a 2 minute 5 on 3)

- other goal is Marty playing terrible

Devils defense had a good game, the PK isn't what it was during the regular season, but I'm really not impressed with the Panthers after this game. They got a bunch of breaks, played against a team that didn't bring its A game, and still had to hang on to win it.

First PP goal came after a stupid penalty from Greene fifteen seconds into the game, and came ten seconds after that. Whatever momentum they had from Game 1 they gave away in 23 seconds. The 5-on-3 was a tough break, fine but after already giving up two PP goals I have no patience for another from THE GREATEST PK OF ALL TIME. After killing off 90% with all these shorthanded goals in the regular season they've killed off 25% in the playoffs. Come on now. And which goal did Marty play terrible, the one where Goc (I think?) had all day to dipsy-doo at the side and Volchenkov missed the block? Marty wasn't the issue tonight.

You may not be impressed with the Panthers, but they've proven the close games in the regular season weren't a fluke now. The Devils are going to have to work to beat this team, and playing 20 minutes ain't gonna do it. This game reminded me so much of Carolina Game 4 it wasn't even funny. Another no-show for forty minutes where we were up in the series and had a chance to put a stranglehold on it. Then they decide to play in the third period and come up even more painfully short. How this team doesn't learn anything from that (at least the half of them that were there three years ago) is beyond me.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know I said playing the full 60 is fanspeak, but they need to play the fvcking full 60.

They barely played 20. This is one time where the fans aren't wrong when they rip the team for not playing 60. It's one thing to have ebb and flow stretches, but there was really little fight or intensity at all the first two periods.

What, do you want to compare the Devils effort to the Flyers effort? Or are you implying that Theodore is better than Fleury? Whatever, the Flyers are up 3-0 against the Penguins. The Devils are tied 1-1 versus the Panthers. Not saying the Devils aren't trying to win, but the efforts are not even close.

thing is if we keep them close its no good...was trying to get adam in between zach and kovy but i think same lines would be best for now...LGD!

ok from kovy's interview hes trying to not lose his cool; hes playing it too cool...lost in translation

Edited by lazer

What, do you want to compare the Devils effort to the Flyers effort? Or are you implying that Theodore is better than Fleury? Whatever, the Flyers are up 3-0 against the Penguins. The Devils are tied 1-1 versus the Panthers. Not saying the Devils aren't trying to win, but the efforts are not even close.

Yes, Theodore is better than Fleury. The Flyers have gotten a million breaks to be up 3-0. And yeah, the Flyers have fallen behind in every single game - 3-0 in game 1, 2-0 in game 2, 1-0 in game 3. So what is this about 60 minutes?

First PP goal came after a stupid penalty from Greene fifteen seconds into the game, and came ten seconds after that. Whatever momentum they had from Game 1 they gave away in 23 seconds. The 5-on-3 was a tough break, fine but after already giving up two PP goals I have no patience for another from THE GREATEST PK OF ALL TIME. After killing off 90% with all these shorthanded goals in the regular season they've killed off 25% in the playoffs. Come on now. And which goal did Marty play terrible, the one where Goc (I think?) had all day to dipsy-doo at the side and Volchenkov missed the block? Marty wasn't the issue tonight.

Marty was the issue on Goal #3, that's not a scoring chance and Brodeur should have it.

I don't care how good of a penalty kill you have, a 2 minute 5 on 3, the other team is a favorite to score a goal. Average goal scoring rates on a 5 on 3 are around 20 goals per 60 minutes, or 1 goal every 3 minutes.

The Devils had a great penalty kill, but it was not the best of all time. It got a ton of luck to end up where it is. Tonight they took 4 penalties, 2 of them were together, 1 the Panthers scored in the first 15 seconds, and the other one the Devils didn't give up a shot on goal.

You may not be impressed with the Panthers, but they've proven the close games in the regular season weren't a fluke now. The Devils are going to have to work to beat this team, and playing 20 minutes ain't gonna do it. This game reminded me so much of Carolina Game 4 it wasn't even funny. Another no-show for forty minutes where we were up in the series and had a chance to put a stranglehold on it. Then they decide to play in the third period and come up even more painfully short. How this team doesn't learn anything from that (at least the half of them that were there three years ago) is beyond me.

Yes, the Panthers are capable of playing in lots of close games. Like tonight, for instance, where they get a bunch of bounces and penalty calls and still end up only winning by 1. That's why I'm not impressed. Everything was there for a blowout and they couldn't close the deal.

Edited by Triumph

Yes, Theodore is better than Fleury. The Flyers have gotten a million breaks to be up 3-0. And yeah, the Flyers have fallen behind in every single game - 3-0 in game 1, 2-0 in game 2, 1-0 in game 3. So what is this about 60 minutes?

Sometimes, particularly in the playoffs, a team needs to play a full 60 minutes to win the game. Simple as that.

The Flyers are up 3-0 on a team that's supposed to be better than them when their own goalie's played like **** too, only less stinky **** than the other team's goalie, so yeah I think they've pretty much given effort, especially with how physical that series is. Considering their goaltending issues, the Flyers have generally got the most out of their talent the past few years while we either didn't compete or underachieved the last three postseasons.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Zach at least showed up, for the most part...but the problem with Zach is he just can't be a difference maker in the postseason. He gets his numbers in the regular season by outworking and outthinking defenders who don't go at playoff speed every game the way he does. But when other players match his work ethic and come up with systems to nulify him in the postseason, he just doesn't have the talent to raise his game. He scores goals one way, with deflections and quick reflex plays in front and everyone knows it.

Zach is again providing more and more evidence that he is not a post-season performer. If this keeps up and he leaves during the offseason, this will certainly make his departure much more bearable.

sh!tty first forty minutes as great last twenty minutes. Florida came out with more fire and while it sucks they lost I will not panic until we are behind in the series. Let's just win 3 of the next 5 and move on.

Zach at least showed up, for the most part...but the problem with Zach is he just can't be a difference maker in the postseason. He gets his numbers in the regular season by outworking and outthinking defenders who don't go at playoff speed every game the way he does. But when other players match his work ethic and come up with systems to nulify him in the postseason, he just doesn't have the talent to raise his game. He scores goals one way, with deflections and quick reflex plays in front and everyone knows it.

This season his number are not that high...

Edited by caron14