Hopefully that is the last time Brodeur sees the ice as a Devil

'7'

“There are always going to be critics,” Parise said. “We have all the confidence in the world in him. After last game I’m sure there was going to be people saying whatever they want to say. We don’t care. He doesn’t care. I’ve seen it the last seven years and he’s always responded.” (source)

and let's be honest, we would've won regardless of who was in net considering we put up 4 goals

Umm... You're sure? Watch Game 3 again and tell me any kind of lead makes you watch the rest of the game without nerves.

What a great bounce back game from Marty! He has proven it in the past and he does it once again: he tends to rebound immediately after bad games and that's one of the qualities that made him a legendary goalie.

I know there's still a lot of hockey left to play and Brodeur has much work ahead of him as well, but let's just celebrate right now. That win was HUGE for us last night. We'll worry about Game 5 on Saturday.

If I could wipe my ass with this thread, I would.. Reactionary threads are beyond ridiculous and, like with Manta, usually end in backtracking by a lot of folks

Oh well, we're all fans here!!! Go Devils!!

To be fair, people are overreacting to this shutout the same way they did to Marty's bad game. 2-2 series here folks, we still need to prove we can beat our issues and win 2 more games. We have the momentum now but let's not start beating ourselves again in 2 days.

Brodeur downplayed getting the shutout record, crediting his teammates with helping him get to yet another NHL milestone.

“I’ve played a lot of games and you hope when you win games, especially in the playoffs, they’re tight games, so sometimes you need to have shutouts to win some of these games,” he said. “I’ve been fortunate to play on great teams to be able to sacrifice themselves to do shutouts and commit themselves to playing well defensively and I’m a product of that.”

Just thought i would throw this in here.

Umm... You're sure? Watch Game 3 again and tell me any kind of lead makes you watch the rest of the game without nerves.

What a great bounce back game from Marty! He has proven it in the past and he does it once again: he tends to rebound immediately after bad games and that's one of the qualities that made him a legendary goalie.

I know there's still a lot of hockey left to play and Brodeur has much work ahead of him as well, but let's just celebrate right now. That win was HUGE for us last night. We'll worry about Game 5 on Saturday.

Yeah, Game 4 wasn't exactly a rocking chair game for Marty the way Game 3 was for Clemmensen, Marty had to make several big saves, a couple when Volch left him hanging again :rolleyes:

To be fair, people are overreacting to this shutout the same way they did to Marty's bad game. 2-2 series here folks, we still need to prove we can beat our issues and win 2 more games. We have the momentum now but let's not start beating ourselves again in 2 days.

The only reason people are overreacting to the shutout is because of the MASSIVE overreaction to the game 3 loss. It's a proportional response.

Edited by David Puddy

We do have to cue Brodeur haters saying that Hedberg would've not only pitched a shutout but he would've gotten one... well, i guess, he'd have to get two assists.

(I'm a Marty skeptic but not a hater - Need another performance from the D and goalie next game)

And now all you doubters can shut the fvck UP..... We know you you are, and we know what you're true colors are. You're an embarrassment to real hockey fans everywhere.

Doubting is embarrassing? Not voicing out your opinion is embarrassing. Whether others agree or not, it's each person's opinion.

You shut up :whistling:

Edited by cubanjd305

Doubting is embarrassing? Not voicing out your opinion is embarrassing. Whether others agree or not, it's each person's opinion.

You shut up :whistling:

C'mon, man, the very TITLE of this thread should enrage you as a Devils fan: "Hopefully that is the last time Brodeur sees the ice as a Devil." That's not an opinion, you'll get kicked in the groin for screaming that out at The Rock.

Yeah, Game 4 wasn't exactly a rocking chair game for Marty the way Game 3 was for Clemmensen, Marty had to make several big saves, a couple when Volch left him hanging again :rolleyes:

Game 3 was not a rocking chair game for Clemmensen, and I'd be surprised if the Panthers had more than 8 scoring chances in Game 4 - last night wasn't a particularly brilliant shutout. I do think Brodeur had to make a bunch of stops from outside the circles on players skating hard - not *easy* stops, but not difficult ones either. The Panthers did not get many chances from in close.

Edited by Triumph

We do have to cue Brodeur haters saying that Hedberg would've not only pitched a shutout but he would've gotten one... well, i guess, he'd have to get two assists.

(I'm a Marty skeptic but not a hater - Need another performance from the D and goalie next game)

I'm probably on the mellower side of that. To me, based on the last two years, Marty's performance shouldn't make him the automatic every-game starter come playoff time; unless he went into the playoffs in a major slump, he definitely gets to be the #1 guy going in, but with less leeway than previous years. That's why I was in favor of Hedberg getting Game 4...I don't think I ever would've felt that way in prior years...I would've said, "Marty's the guy, he'll bounce back, he deserves that chance." But I couldn't be happier that it worked out, especially for Marty.

C'mon, man, the very TITLE of this thread should enrage you as a Devils fan: "Hopefully that is the last time Brodeur sees the ice as a Devil." That's not an opinion, you'll get kicked in the groin for screaming that out at The Rock.

Apparently you're the one doing all the groin-kicking. "I don't think Brodeur should play another game as a Devil"...how is that not an opinion. In any case, people were pissed at his performance (I hope you realize he gave up a couple goals on game 3). He came back strong, Devils won. In the end, no matter what anyone thinks of any particular player, we all want the same thing. So you can chill the fvck out.

Apparently you're the one doing all the groin-kicking. "I don't think Brodeur should play another game as a Devil"...how is that not an opinion. In any case, people were pissed at his performance (I hope you realize he gave up a couple goals on game 3). He came back strong, Devils won. In the end, no matter what anyone thinks of any particular player, we all want the same thing. So you can chill the fvck out.

Hoping for the abrupt end to the legendary career of the single-handedly most famous, award-winning, record-breaking, most successful, and most respected player in the history of our 30 year old franchise is not some friendly fan forum topic up for polite discussion.

I'm going to cry on the day he announces via press conference that he's hanging his skates up, as images fill my mind of all the happiness and inspiration (to play in goal) he's given to me in my relatively short 25 years of existence. So no, I'm not going to take it lightly that someone offensively insinuates that he wishes that final day would have come yesterday. fvck him.

And no, you're not the one who made these comments, so I'm not sure why you're so gung ho in defending them. My issue's clearly not with you.

Edited by DJ Eco

Game 3 was not a rocking chair game for Clemmensen, and I'd be surprised if the Panthers had more than 8 scoring chances in Game 4 - last night wasn't a particularly brilliant shutout. I do think Brodeur had to make a bunch of stops from outside the circles on players skating hard - not *easy* stops, but not difficult ones either. The Panthers did not get many chances from in close.

Early on in the first he had some nice stops in tight, like that one where Flash was all alone in front.

One of the best ways I've seen it expressed is something like this....Greatest Ever, Best ever, no one can really say this will be discussed for decades as superlatives are hard to quantify...But for Brodeur he has accomplished so much that you can take any of his stats/records and split them & the result would still be the records of two Hockey Hall-of Fame Goaltenders.

One of the best ways I've seen it expressed is something like this....Greatest Ever, Best ever, no one can really say this will be discussed for decades as superlatives are hard to quantify...But for Brodeur he has accomplished so much that you can take any of his stats/records and split them & the result would still be the records of two Hockey Hall-of Fame Goaltenders.

Very well put. This thread, and the 100 other ones just like it that were posted as a complete overreaction to a poorly played Game 3, show why coaches/GMs at the highest levels are different from us fans. They have the ability to see the forest through the trees and can seperate the emotions of 1 game from the bigger picture. For some to openly hope that the Game 3 abomination was the last time we ever saw Brodeur in a Devils uniform is disgraceful and shows how little appreciation our fans have for anything, let alone what #30 has meant to this franchise. Fact of the matter is, most of you don't remember the bad years 1982-1986 (or weren't even born yet), and haven't known anything other than Brodeur in goal for this team. Brodeur is not what he used to be, but (for this year's playoffs) I'd still take him over any of the goalies in Washington, Ottawa, Philly, Pitt, Florida, Vancouver, Detroit, Chicago, and San Jose. Just glad he got the win (and shutout to boot) last night to make some of the people on this board eat some crow this morning.

Very well put. This thread, and the 100 other ones just like it that were posted as a complete overreaction to a poorly played Game 3, show why coaches/GMs at the highest levels are different from us fans. They have the ability to see the forest through the trees and can seperate the emotions of 1 game from the bigger picture. For some to openly hope that the Game 3 abomination was the last time we ever saw Brodeur in a Devils uniform is disgraceful and shows how little appreciation our fans have for anything, let alone what #30 has meant to this franchise. Fact of the matter is, most of you don't remember the bad years 1982-1986 (or weren't even born yet), and haven't known anything other than Brodeur in goal for this team. Brodeur is not what he used to be, but (for this year's playoffs) I'd still take him over any of the goalies in Washington, Ottawa, Philly, Pitt, Florida, Vancouver, Detroit, Chicago, and San Jose. Just glad he got the win (and shutout to boot) last night to make some of the people on this board eat some crow this morning.

This is also very well put. I don't think people really understand how stable goaltending has been for this organization the last 20 years. Yeah, Marty's had bad years, but very few and far between. I mean, I remember not long ago people hoping we could snag Varlamov from Washington. Colorado gave up a first for him and he hardly outplayed Giguere, who himself is still living off of one real good playoff run.

Miller, Luongo, and Lunqvist are all guys we've heard about as being among the best the last few years but they are all in their early 30's, have almost no NHL hardware between them, and have all had bad years at different times. My point is a lot of guys can have a good year, or a good 3 or 4 years. But we had a guy give us solid-to-great years nearly every season for about 16 seasons. That people want to take all of that, all the millions he passed on to stay here, and say 'yeah thanks, but screw off because we have Johan Hedberg now' really sucks.

Why? Because he hasn't been a great playoff performer the last few years? Who on this team has been? Or because he's arrogant? Most of the great goalies are. It's the kind of attitude you need to be a goalie. You need an over confidence. It's the same as Clemmensen saying he's glad to be in the league in one sentence and then say he can beat anyone on any given night the next. Like I said before, Glenn Hall was the only real great goalie I can think of off the top of my head who was truly humble, and he had to puke before every game to get the nerves out.

I don't know how people would prefer to be hunting for a new goalie every 2 years and hoping to strike oil. I have all the hope in the world that one of Wedgewood or Kinkaid can be a solid starter for years to come but if either of them are, they are still a few years off. We're gonna have an interesting training camp in 2013 or 2014.

• Like 1

The only reason people are overreacting to the shutout is because of the MASSIVE overreaction to the game 3 loss. It's a proportional response.

"2 wrongs..." The point stands.

This. Its its not the right thing to do - but he's not an experienced poster. A few years ago I might have done the same.