Torres suspended for 25 games

Mayday

The Coyotes, as it were, can have a maximum of 24 remaining playoff games.

This suspension means nothing - it's the next one that'll tell us if Shanahan's serious. Torres for 25 games doesn't mean anything if Crosby or Malkin or Kovy or Weber were to do something stupid and only get a slap on the wrist.

Too severe a suspension for a hit that wasnt all that dirty. I dont believe he deliberately targeted the head, sticks and elbows not involved. Puck was nearby from what i can remember.

Game is becoming too pussfied

• Like 1

i think the fact that torres has 4 previous suspensions played very heavy into the fact that this was so major.

if malkin or someone of his ilk who had not been suspended previously did something like this, i think they get 3-4 games (similar to hagelin).

This. The only superstar who comes close to Torres would be Pronger, and he usually doesn't get caught. The only Penguins are Cooke, and maybe Asham. If Weber does something else this postseason, that would be a decent test, just because he just dodged a bullet.

It just blows my mind how Shanahan was so ontop of these hits in the start of the season and come the playoffs he just doesnt give a sh!t. He must have a dart board in his office makred with random punishments and whatever it lands on is handed down.

It's the right thing to do but the league has been setting themselves up for this kind of incident all year when they started to get lighter on the suspensions as the year progressed. Preseason started off very strict and it seemed as if Shanahan and co. were going to rule with an iron fist but that quickly changed.

If he doesn't leave his feet, that's a clean hit. I'm sorry, but watch it at full speed. You barely get past the "onemississippi" before Torres trucks him. Hossa got caught with his head down. Yes, it was dirty because Torres launched himself, but the sad thing for him is, the hit's probably just as devastating if he keeps his feet on the ice. Stevens-esque, even.

And anyone who thinks this still gets 25 games if Hossa (a) isn't Chicago's superstar and (b) comes back into the game--I have an Izod Center I'd like to sell you.

Edited by Risky

25 games should be reserved for stomping on someone with a skate or a lumberjack style stick attack to the head

I agree, but I think Torres' history has more to do with the length of the suspension than the actual hit itself. What is this, his 5th offense? Shanny was sending a stern message.

I could see that maddog...didnt know it was his 5th. I think 12-15 wouldve been enough to send a message. Really dont think Torres has any intent to injure Hossa...its unfortunate he ended up getting stretchered out.

Really not that much different. Almost same time between losing the puck. Torres puts his shoulder in Hossa's head, Stevens forearm hits Kariya.

Times have changed though. You would have never heard a conversation about whether or not they should get rid of fighting back then. Its sad to say but hockey has become a different sport since then.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=173753

Ugh for all that say it was clean your plain stupid simple as "that'. The PUCK was on another players stick at the time the hit was placed on Hossa. He left his feet(1 rule), Interference(2 rules) and Hit to the head (3 rules) and done by a repeat offender. Sorry your gone:) Nor was Hossa's head "down" as you call it. Was up but skated to Torres.

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur