"Luongo willing to waive no-trade clause"

Wolfy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand Luongo. Crazy talk even suggesting he become a Devil.

Toronto seems a logical taker -- but they've got nothing to give in return.

I dont think it will be a case of what they get back, they want to unload him. + I think the Leafs could put a very decent package together with some of their young guys + try to pawn Komisarek off on Vancouver.

How dare you even suggest Luongo be on this team! He doesn't deserve us, and he certainly didn't deserve Vancouver. Also, i'm a Canucks fan too so i would hate to have Luongo back on one of the teams I care about. I will always hate him for screwing us two ways til Tuesday last season in the finals. If that happens, I will lose all faith in this team and it's management.

to me the best fit for Luongo and his new team would be Tampa bay(Despite their D....) but what would Tampa give in return?

IMO' Vigneault made a statement going with Schneider, if his team failed/advanced towards the next round it'd have consequences on the team as a whole and Luongo of course...

Was it the best decision? I don't know. It was much more of a suicidal decision to go with Schneider, one way or the other... Wether if you get eliminated or not, you'll hear about Luongo.

Luongo should had known this though..sup-bar season, and a terrible, TERRIBLE... Stanley cups finals, even to the first round against the hawks(Last year)...

Not all the blame should be on Luongo, since the Canucks could barely score against an 8th seed that were hot(kings)

Canucks shoulda won last year if Luongo didn't blow out... but frankly I'm glad the Bruins won(Rooted for em) can't and never will stand some of their homers fans there(Vancouver)

I'd expected a riot from Montreal, but Vancouver? lol..

Luongo save percentage in the playoffs: .916

Brodeur save percentage in the playoffs: .919

Luongo is quite underrated but his contract does run long and I wouldn't want him on NJ as a result. Still, this 'choking' label is so ridiculous.

Well if we're cherry picking stats we can go with overall playoff wins, finals records, or records after big losses.

Luongo is by far the most overrated goalie in the league. He has won nothing in the NHL. Until last season, he collapsed in the first or second round on a yearly basis and would get blown out at least one playoff game a year. He was terrible in the finals last year, and probably would have lost his job in the first round had Schneider not gotten hurt in game 6.

Well if we're cherry picking stats we can go with overall playoff wins, finals records, or records after big losses.

Luongo is by far the most overrated goalie in the league. He has won nothing in the NHL. Until last season, he collapsed in the first or second round on a yearly basis and would get blown out at least one playoff game a year. He was terrible in the finals last year, and probably would have lost his job in the first round had Schneider not gotten hurt in game 6.

It's not cherry picking to point out save percentage in one's entire playoff history. It's the opposite of cherry picking.

'He has won nothing in the NHL.' True. But he has been to the Finals, which is pretty darn good. Furthermore, he's won an Olympic gold.

Until last season, he collapsed in the first and second round. Well, let's go over that, shall we? First of all, he didn't make the playoffs until his 28th birthday had passed. That's because he was on horrible teams, where he was the best thing about them.

Okay, so in 2006-07, his team got to the 2nd round, where they promptly scored 8 goals to lose in 5 games. How is this his fault?

In 2008, the Canucks narrowly missed the playoffs, largely because Luongo's backups were terrible - he was fine.

In 2009, yeah, that was a tough series against the Blackhawks - Luongo was not at his best there.

2010 - again, not great in the losing series.

2011, however, he was magnificent up until the Finals. And even in the Finals, in the three games he won, he gave up 2 goals - he had a tiny margin and managed to exist on it.

He's one of the best goalies in the league. Choker labels exist across sports and they exist because people think that the best player should win championships. That used to be true in hockey when all the best players were on one team, but with players starting careers in a 30 team NHL, we're not only going to see star players who don't win championships, we're going to see star players who never make the 3rd round of the playoffs.

It's not cherry picking to point out save percentage in one's entire playoff history. It's the opposite of cherry picking.

'He has won nothing in the NHL.' True. But he has been to the Finals, which is pretty darn good. Furthermore, he's won an Olympic gold.

Until last season, he collapsed in the first and second round. Well, let's go over that, shall we? First of all, he didn't make the playoffs until his 28th birthday had passed. That's because he was on horrible teams, where he was the best thing about them.

Okay, so in 2006-07, his team got to the 2nd round, where they promptly scored 8 goals to lose in 5 games. How is this his fault?

In 2008, the Canucks narrowly missed the playoffs, largely because Luongo's backups were terrible - he was fine.

In 2009, yeah, that was a tough series against the Blackhawks - Luongo was not at his best there.

2010 - again, not great in the losing series.

2011, however, he was magnificent up until the Finals. And even in the Finals, in the three games he won, he gave up 2 goals - he had a tiny margin and managed to exist on it.

He's one of the best goalies in the league. Choker labels exist across sports and they exist because people think that the best player should win championships. That used to be true in hockey when all the best players were on one team, but with players starting careers in a 30 team NHL, we're not only going to see star players who don't win championships, we're going to see star players who never make the 3rd round of the playoffs.

Come on Tri! I know you watched that gold medal game!! He was awful! He couldn't control rebounds and he had a lot of pucks bouncing out of his glove. That team won because the defense was fantastic and the offense snuck some passed Miller.

2007, the offense crapped out and he played awesome.(which around here means the goalie needs to win by shutout or he sucks, which is EXACTLY why this place can't handle Luongo.)

2009 was a tough series, and he got torched. 2010 he got torched.

I wouldn't call 2011 magnificent. He lost his starting job in round 1!! He only got it back because Schneider got hurt. Granted he came back strong to win game 7, and he played fine in the second and third round, but they were in a real bad way for a few games.

I know he let up 2 goals in his wins in the finals. He was absolute money in them. But in his losses, he gave up a ton. He allowed 8 goals in game 3, gave up 4 goals and got pulled in game 4, gave up 3 goals in 8 shots and got pulled in game 5, and then another 3 against in game 7. That's 18 goals against in the 4 losses, getting pulled in 2 of them.

Stats aside, he's just plain overrated and certainly not worth the price tag. I agree with you 100% there. I'd rather get a 2 or 3 year stopgap and see what develops from Kinkaid and Wedgewood than ever drop that on a goalie.

He gets trumped up as one of the best in the world, but he collapses under pressure. He's part of that giant-padded, drop-to-your-knees-and-be-big style. I really wonder what happens to these guys if the NHL ever looks at footage from the 80's and 90's and realizes that goalies can be protected without wearing tank armor.

Also, I feel the choker label has less to do with championships and more to do with what happens when a player is against the wall. So far in his career, Luongo hasn't been able to rise to the occasion. Of course, at 33, he still has a few years and a fresh start may do him well, but it'd just be more of what we already have now if he came here.

Come on Tri! I know you watched that gold medal game!! He was awful! He couldn't control rebounds and he had a lot of pucks bouncing out of his glove. That team won because the defense was fantastic and the offense snuck some passed Miller.

2007, the offense crapped out and he played awesome.(which around here means the goalie needs to win by shutout or he sucks, which is EXACTLY why this place can't handle Luongo.)

2009 was a tough series, and he got torched. 2010 he got torched.

I wouldn't call 2011 magnificent. He lost his starting job in round 1!! He only got it back because Schneider got hurt. Granted he came back strong to win game 7, and he played fine in the second and third round, but they were in a real bad way for a few games.

I know he let up 2 goals in his wins in the finals. He was absolute money in them. But in his losses, he gave up a ton. He allowed 8 goals in game 3, gave up 4 goals and got pulled in game 4, gave up 3 goals in 8 shots and got pulled in game 5, and then another 3 against in game 7. That's 18 goals against in the 4 losses, getting pulled in 2 of them.

Stats aside, he's just plain overrated and certainly not worth the price tag. I agree with you 100% there. I'd rather get a 2 or 3 year stopgap and see what develops from Kinkaid and Wedgewood than ever drop that on a goalie.

He gets trumped up as one of the best in the world, but he collapses under pressure. He's part of that giant-padded, drop-to-your-knees-and-be-big style. I really wonder what happens to these guys if the NHL ever looks at footage from the 80's and 90's and realizes that goalies can be protected without wearing tank armor.

Also, I feel the choker label has less to do with championships and more to do with what happens when a player is against the wall. So far in his career, Luongo hasn't been able to rise to the occasion. Of course, at 33, he still has a few years and a fresh start may do him well, but it'd just be more of what we already have now if he came here.

Isn't Vokoun a free agent this upcoming off-season? I don't think Washington re-signed him. He would be a great 2 year stop gap until Wedgewood has fully developed to a NHL level goaltender.

Isn't Vokoun a free agent this upcoming off-season? I don't think Washington re-signed him. He would be a great 2 year stop gap until Wedgewood has fully developed to a NHL level goaltender.

Id not hate this espc with Zidlicky and Elias on the squad. But, he made more money than Marty this year. Its all a question of $$. And yes, he's UFA.

If Brodeur isn't retiring though, this discussion is all for nothing. If he is retiring, I'd be fine with Moose getting a shot to be our #1 tender and just bringing in someone to back him up provided he's going to keep playing as well.

Edited by ghdi

I love it when people use the line, "he has won nothing in the NHL," when the only thing to win is the big silver shiny thingy. It's like: first we all admit its extremely hard to win and you need a great TEAM to even get close to winning it and then we criticize individual players and "prove" they're overrated by saying "they haven't won it."

That said if I am Vancouver and can get out of the Luongo contract, I leap out of that deal.

Overrated or underrated his contract makes acquiring him, even for virtually nothing, a non-starter. Even the best goalie in the league (Lunqvist, Rienne, or whoever it may be) would never get that kind of deal if they were UFAs this offseason.

Maybe it's something you consider if the new CBA allows for an amnesty, but reports are that that's highly unlikely.

It's not even beyond the realm of possibility that he gets waived. I could see all of his possible destinations balking at picking up his full contract in a trade, and will take their chances of snatching him on waivers, and being on the hook for only half of his salary. Things might be even more advantageous depending on the new CBA.

Overrated or underrated his contract makes acquiring him, even for virtually nothing, a non-starter. Even the best goalie in the league (Lunqvist, Rienne, or whoever it may be) would never get that kind of deal if they were UFAs this offseason.

Maybe it's something you consider if the new CBA allows for an amnesty, but reports are that that's highly unlikely.

It's not even beyond the realm of possibility that he gets waived. I could see all of his possible destinations balking at picking up his full contract in a trade, and will take their chances of snatching him on waivers, and being on the hook for only half of his salary. Things might be even more advantageous depending on the new CBA.

What? Rinne just got a way more expensive deal this October. Also, waivers don't allow you to pick up a player for half his salary.

Would you rather have:

A 29.5 year old Rinne signed for 7 more years at 7M per, or Luongo signed for 10 more years at 5.33M per? Let's remember that Rinne has never won anything and is probably a big choker, and that the 3 years at the end of Luongo's deal are either fake years (he'll retire) or he can be traded to Florida or Tampa Bay and be their backup and swallow up a ton of cap hit.

Id not hate this espc with Zidlicky and Elias on the squad. But, he made more money than Marty this year. Its all a question of $$. And yes, he's UFA.

If Brodeur isn't retiring though, this discussion is all for nothing. If he is retiring, I'd be fine with Moose getting a shot to be our #1 tender and just bringing in someone to back him up provided he's going to keep playing as well.

Vokoun made 1.5 million this year and is basically the #3 goalie now in Washington. I'd be stunned if Vokoun gets anything more than that on a one or two year deal next season. He took the one year low money deal to try and strike rich on one more contract, figuring a talented team like the Caps in front of him would help that happen and it hasn't worked out.

Depending on what happens with Marty, I'd actually prefer to stay away from Vokoun. I haven't been impressed with him the last few years.

My brother went to a goalie camp run by the nashville predators goalie coach this past summer. One of the days they watched video of luongo to show the goalies what not to do. The guy has a terrible glove, a terrible five hole, and is slow. his only asset is his size. Hes an alright regular season goalie, but not a playoff goalie which is what the devils need.

What? Rinne just got a way more expensive deal this October. Also, waivers don't allow you to pick up a player for half his salary.

Would you rather have:

A 29.5 year old Rinne signed for 7 more years at 7M per, or Luongo signed for 10 more years at 5.33M per? Let's remember that Rinne has never won anything and is probably a big choker, and that the 3 years at the end of Luongo's deal are either fake years (he'll retire) or he can be traded to Florida or Tampa Bay and be their backup and swallow up a ton of cap hit.

Isn't that what happened with Avery when the Rangers picked him off waivers, or is it just the cap hit that gets split? Even if it's just the cap hit, it's still a gamble that a team that could use a goalie might take.

I don't think Rinne gets that deal if he were 33 like Luongo, or he wouldn't get an eleven year deal, which would expire when he's the same age as when Luongo's deal ends. Same as I wouldn't see anyone giving Lunqvist (age 30) ten years if he were a UFA this offseason. Also, my point wasn't to assess how good Rinne actually is (I just threw his name out there as someone who is considered an elite goalie right now), but to give a reason for a potential scenario with Luongo.

Sure, you can point to Bryzgolov and say there isn't any shortage of teams that will throw long-term deals at goalies. I think though, that teams are already realizing that the Flyers are regretting that contract. Also, the Flyers are a unique situation in that the knock on them for years (real or perceived) is that an elite goalie is what has prevented them from winning a Cup. Basically, the Flyers are traditionally desperate for a goalie in a way that all other teams aren't.

Edited by Daniel

Vokoun made 1.5 million this year and is basically the #3 goalie now in Washington. I'd be stunned if Vokoun gets anything more than that on a one or two year deal next season. He took the one year low money deal to try and strike rich on one more contract, figuring a talented team like the Caps in front of him would help that happen and it hasn't worked out.

Depending on what happens with Marty, I'd actually prefer to stay away from Vokoun. I haven't been impressed with him the last few years.

My bad.

Was looking at this http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=837 and read the 10-11 #. Still I agree, Id rather not have Vokoun.

Fact is Luongo's attitude was for sh!t during the finals. Turn a blind eye to the damage he did, think you can change him or that it isn't a big deal. If you want to gloss it over -- well then you clearly do not understand the psychology of the game. He was out of control and the team needed him to maintain composure. He didn't. His attitude did not translate productively onto the ice when it mattered most.

An Olympic team chemistry is nothing like an NHL team's Maybe that attitude could fly on the Rangers -- maybe the Flyers. I don't think so though. I don't see anyone with a strong enough personality to absorb Luongo when his goat is gotten. There is something wrong there - the dude who justifies it all out with positive stats and happy close calls is the GM saddled with him. Be my guest friend :evil: I don't see Lou biting though.

My brother went to a goalie camp run by the nashville predators goalie coach this past summer. One of the days they watched video of luongo to show the goalies what not to do. The guy has a terrible glove, a terrible five hole, and is slow. his only asset is his size. Hes an alright regular season goalie, but not a playoff goalie which is what the devils need.

rolleyes.gif

I thought Vokoun was really cheap for the Caps this year. Something like $1.5 mil. It isn't a bad idea to try to get him for a couple years, assuming Wedgewood actually turns out to be the next big Devils goaltender. I'm sure it won't be easy though, especially not at that price.

EDIT: didn't see this was discussed in a few posts already. sorry!

Edited by nessus

Isn't that what happened with Avery when the Rangers picked him off waivers, or is it just the cap hit that gets split? Even if it's just the cap hit, it's still a gamble that a team that could use a goalie might take.

I don't think Rinne gets that deal if he were 33 like Luongo, or he wouldn't get an eleven year deal, which would expire when he's the same age as when Luongo's deal ends. Same as I wouldn't see anyone giving Lunqvist (age 30) ten years if he were a UFA this offseason. Also, my point wasn't to assess how good Rinne actually is (I just threw his name out there as someone who is considered an elite goalie right now), but to give a reason for a potential scenario with Luongo.

Sure, you can point to Bryzgolov and say there isn't any shortage of teams that will throw long-term deals at goalies. I think though, that teams are already realizing that the Flyers are regretting that contract. Also, the Flyers are a unique situation in that the knock on them for years (real or perceived) is that an elite goalie is what has prevented them from winning a Cup. Basically, the Flyers are traditionally desperate for a goalie in a way that all other teams aren't.

re: waivers and cap hit - what you're thinking about is if you put a guy on waivers and he goes UNCLAIMED and then you call him back up and is claimed on the way back - that's when the cap hit gets split. if he were put on waivers, i would imagine someone would take him and his entire hit but it's a total dick thing to do because you're invalidating his NTC and likely sending him somewhere like the islanders or edmonton or columbus who have difficulty drawing ufa's and really need goaltending. luongo is plenty good enough to get a mediocre team INTO the playoffs.