Round 2 Series Discussion

Derlique

puck possession

minimal mistakes

for me the kicker seems to be the flyers cant handle the trap...remember they even refused to play lol

My keys to the devils:

4. Devils defense does have trouble against the aggressive forecheck, need to figure a way to clear the puck of the zone or a clean break out strategy

and this from another thread

Edited by lazer

Volch is going to need to raise his game big time. If that happens, the Devils will be in good shape. The biggest concern is not to fall into playing the Flyers hands. Stay away from the post whistle crap. Clarkson needs to be better.

If the Devils just play even to the Flyers I think I will take our chances Marty vs. Bryz.

No penalties (like Game 6 levels of penalties), strong forechecking at all times, and keeping pucks on the net. I think defense is important as always, but I really think that our struggle will be keeping up with the Flyers in terms of scoring, and the more we can do to score, the better off we'll be. I think if we expose Bryzgalov it will be easier and more reliable than hoping Marty/the D will always allow <2 per game.

Take out Giroux. He's the catalyst. A-train needs to lay him out just like he used to... Seriously though... They have to have a solid checking line for Flyers top line. I would play Elias opposite Giroux. I also think the Devils need to break up the top line for this series. I'd leave Kovy and Zajac together but I would put Parise with Elias to against the Giroux line. Both Parise and Elias are safe bets for defensive play.

Kovy Zajac Ponikarovsky

Parise Elias Zubrus

They're gonna put Couturier on Kovalchuk, so it's going to be a very frustrating series for him. But this series is Parise's for the taking. I don't think their defense can handle a really pesky persistent Parise, complemented by a playmaking-centric Kovalchuk. I don't think their 3rd or 4th and 3rd defensive lines can handle what our 3rd and 4th liners potentially bring to the table. I think those last two lines will make the difference, they'll be drawing a lot of penalties out of the Flyers I'm sure..

Edited by DJ Eco

for the devils to win, lines 3 and 4 will have to continue to chip in with goals.

i expect elias to be matched on hartnell-giroux-jagr - in that matchup, it's sykora on hartnell which is an issue. i would expect greene/fayne to see time against that line as well.

i would expect courturier to get assigned parise-zajac-kovalchuk. and really, that's fine. i don't expect much offense from kovy 5 on 5 w/ his health so if they want to put their best defensive players on them, so be it.

the guy that scares me is briere - he is always a pretty good playoff performer, plays well against NJ, and could get in a position where he sees harrold/larsson/volchenkov pairing and creates the same speed issue as bergenheim did for FL.

Some more thoughts. First of all, we all should be very happy Pronger is out considering he makes Parise his bitch. Secondly, if Kovy and Parise are struggling to score, we NEED to split them up and fast. I also think Sykora is going to be too slow for the second line, you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Flyers are going to try and expose that. But then you run into the problem of shuffling the deck, PDB likes keeping the lines together until really late. I think the best solution is to throw Parise with Elias, they are good enough to counter attack any line in the league.

Kovy Zajac Zubrus

Parise Elias Bernier

Poni Henrique Clarkson

Carter Gionta Sykora

I think it goes without saying that we are going to need more from the third line as a whole, all season long we talked about how Poni was a 'playoff' type of player and he hasn't amounted to squat this far. Definitely gives hope since they netted two in game 7.

Some more thoughts. First of all, we all should be very happy Pronger is out considering he makes Parise his bitch. Secondly, if Kovy and Parise are struggling to score, we NEED to split them up and fast. I also think Sykora is going to be too slow for the second line, you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Flyers are going to try and expose that. But then you run into the problem of shuffling the deck, PDB likes keeping the lines together until really late. I think the best solution is to throw Parise with Elias, they are good enough to counter attack any line in the league.

Kovy Zajac Zubrus

Parise Elias Bernier

Poni Henrique Clarkson

Carter Gionta Sykora

I think it goes without saying that we are going to need more from the third line as a whole, all season long we talked about how Poni was a 'playoff' type of player and he hasn't amounted to squat this far. Definitely gives hope since they netted two in game 7.

They already split our two stars up. Poni takes parise's spot, parise takes sykoras spot and sykora takes ponis

If Kovalchuk is actually hurt, we have no chance.

He's clearly hurt and we still have a chance.

The only thing that can save us is Bryzgalov imploding

So in other words, playing the way he usually does?

or Johan Hedberg coming in out of his mind.

So there's absolutely no chance that Brodeur plays well and we'll definitely have to rely on our back-up? Got it.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

Take out Giroux. He's the catalyst. A-train needs to lay him out just like he used to... Seriously though... They have to have a solid checking line for Flyers top line. I would play Elias opposite Giroux. I also think the Devils need to break up the top line for this series. I'd leave Kovy and Zajac together but I would put Parise with Elias to against the Giroux line. Both Parise and Elias are safe bets for defensive play.

Kovy Zajac Ponikarovsky

Parise Elias Zubrus

Ha, he used my lines in practice today. Awesome! Do it Petey D.

Kovalchuk can still be dangerous even when he is injured (all that powerplay time unleashing one timers).

This is going to be a tough series, Philly (as horrible as it is to hear) is the best team in the east because they have so many scorers and threats. Devils have to expose their weakness...goaltending. From the games I watched last series Bryzgalov seems shaky at times and he isn't the best technical goalie. He plays as bi-polar as the Devils, you never know which Bryzgalov shows up. I didn't pay attention to their defense so I can't really make an evaluation on them. Clearly, all 4 lines they roll are dangerous. The Devils have to forecheck hard and hit hard because I know Philly will. Our best players also have our best players. And also don't fvcking back down and if they want to fvck around after the whistle return the favor.

lets go devils

I think our main advantage in the Florida series was the emergence of the 4rth line. The Elias, Zubrus Sykora line worked well because they seemed to be able to compensate for Sykora being a one dimensional player. Parise and Kovy seem to struggle together so a blended 1rst and 3rd would usually be my choice and I woudl rather Kovy with Elias than Parise but we shall see. Either way I don't think it will be the line set ups that determines this it will be our ability to keep this a game on the boards and win there.