What's Wrong with Kovalchuk?

mikepeluso8

Same. Even a slightly herniated disc would not warrant him out there. My bet is its just a severe strain or something like that.

If its herniated and he's playing both he and the Devils are stupid. Way too much risk involved.

I agree. Risk vs. reward is not worth it.

Same. Even a slightly herniated disc would not warrant him out there. My bet is its just a severe strain or something like that.

If its herniated and he's playing both he and the Devils are stupid. Way too much risk involved.

Reading the board over at HF, a couple of people said you can get treatment that numbs the pain and makes it possible to play with a herniated disk, like cortisone shots. But still, I'd much rather rest him one more game. I'm hoping the Devils are doing this to keep the Flyers guessing and nothing more. Let him rest.

One good run at him from Simmonds or another one of the Flyer a$$holes and Kovy gets drilled....

Not a good scenario. I cant imagine they'd dope him up with a herniated disc and expect him to last. If this was the Finals, okay, but we could still have two more rounds to play, possibility of close to 20 more games.

It's the playoffs. Stevens won the Conn Smythe largely by delivering hits with a shoulder that had a pinched nerve. Yzerman led the '02 Wings to a Cup on one leg. Do a Google search for Bobby Baun if you aren't already familiar with his legendary story. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are ripe with histories of players playing through pain no reasonable human being would ever subject themselves to. A herniated disk for Kovalchuk could just end up being another chapter.

It's the playoffs. Stevens won the Conn Smythe largely by delivering hits with a shoulder that had a pinched nerve. Yzerman led the '02 Wings to a Cup on one leg. Do a Google search for Bobby Baun if you aren't already familiar with his legendary story. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are ripe with histories of players playing through pain no reasonable human being would ever subject themselves to. A herniated disk for Kovalchuk could just end up being another chapter.

Romanticized garbage if a guy we're paying 6+ to for 10 years gets taken out, who is potentially that much more important if we lose Parise.

I want him to play, dont get me wrong, but the severity of the injury has to be seriously considered, especially a back injury for a hockey player.

Yup, agree, it's still only been Rich Chere who's reported this. He was also the only one reporting it was a back problem in the first place two days ago. Not sure what his sources are, but even if the Devils are lying to us, all that's been said on the record is "lower body injury."

I've had a herniated disk. Depending on the severity, you don't just play through it. It impacts every thing you do. If he isn't much better sit him again until he is able to give much more than what we got in game 1.

Tthe fact its now 3pm and not one other outlet has even hinted at a herniated disc leads me to believe that Chere probably got some wrong info or its someone guessing. If he had a recent herniated disc, no amount of pharma except a level that would floor him would get him out there.

Reading the board over at HF, a couple of people said you can get treatment that numbs the pain and makes it possible to play with a herniated disk, like cortisone shots. But still, I'd much rather rest him one more game. I'm hoping the Devils are doing this to keep the Flyers guessing and nothing more. Let him rest.

I went through this type hockey injury pain for 7 years... Doctors prescribing anti-inflammatory pills, pain killers, sports therapy, and finally docs saying to have surgery. I decline the surgery because of so many side effects and failures. I even know an ex-player that now has to wear a diaper.

Well, after years of pain, rolling off the couch and climbing it to get up, rolling out of the car and crawling up the side, then one day at work the pain hit me while standing having a conversation with co-workers again. You grab for something close, you grind your teeth, the pain is just that excruciating. It was so bad at one point, when I went in to see the sports doctor, the x-ray of my back appeared I have scoliosis of the spine, because I was altering my back curvature, trying avoid the pain. She immediately gave me an epidermal in the lower spine and it felt like this... "you're holding your breath for 2 weeks and finally being able to exhale and breath again!" Ahhhh, but the direct application of the pain killer to the nerves is temporary and recurrences continued. One of the co-workers saw the pain, and asked me if I had any acupuncture type of therapy and I said no. I explained to him and others the years of pain, how playing hockey it hit me once with about 5 minutes left in the 1st period. You completely lose your strength and legs skating. Well, this co-worker happen to know the best Chinese acupuncturist in the world, who office is on DeAnza blvd, Cupertino, CA (San Jose metro and next to Apple HQ). I went to him and it has forever changed my life. The doctor spoke broken English, his office/building is sparce and 3rd world looking. Then I noticed something(besides his new Mercedes SUV outside). Pictures, autographs, and letters of thank you from quite famous people around the country. From governors, athletes, to astronauts (Buzz Aldrin)... this doc treated some of the most famous people in America. But I was different, this New Jerseyan knows it all, I went through every treatment with the professional medical systems of America, and they couldn't cure me! Well, after asking numerous questions, all the treatments and problems, he put me through, Chi? I guess it's called in specific back movements every day, then it was onto high current (electric) acupuncture and regular acupuncture. I was also given Herbal healing packs to be applied to my lower back for a minimum of a couple of hours a day. I went through treatment for 2 weeks varying from everyday, to every other day.

This is what resulted: Within 2-3 days the acupuncture doc cured all the pain on the lower left side of my spine and entire pain- nerves down the left leg. The rightside of the spine and related pains down the right leg took 2 weeks. Now after 5 years since seeing him, I have been completely cured from of what dozens of doctors, clinics, facilities, with hundreds of shots, thousands of pills, and months worth of Spas, Jacuzzis, and Whirlpools never fixed. Still it was another 6-12 months of just the psychological affects, because what you don't realize is, you think and move differently, afraid to move a certain way that would trigger the pain again. It's amazing how pretentious you become with certain pains and how you adapt body movements in compensating for anticipated pain... your train of thought, auto mechanisms in your brain become so premeditated. Well, I will never doubt any alternative types of medical treatment ever again. I just wish I had done it so much sooner from what I see a wasted life in time, drugs, money, and worse of all, the pain.

PS: Of all this that has transpired over the last decade and half, I still remember vividly when I lost my lower back/legs in that hockey game and the guys yelling from the bench "To Skate", "Start Skating", "Pick It Up", then when I got back to the bench, "What's the matter?" "I said, "I hurt my back a couple shifts ago and it's getting worse". I quit hockey the next week, and it turned into hell for 7 years. Now I do play a little hockey and skate(ice/inline) every chance I get... never any lower back pain.

I hope Kovy receives the best treatment to cure his problem.

I went through this type hockey injury pain for 7 years...

Wow... My mom had a herniated disc when I was a kid. I remember my entire family was really frustrated. We could never possibly understand what she was going through, we always thought she was being a bit overdramatic the way she used to be, when she had a cold or got a cut, etc.. But sometimes she would be on the verge of tears randomly while picking up some dishes out of the cabinet, and dropped them a few times. We used to joke around that it was her way out of doing the dishes or stuff around the house haha.. Everyday actions were hell for her to do. She'd have to call us from outside just to pour a half full quart of milk into her coffee, it got really annoying. Your post has shed some light for me to understand a little bit what she was going through. Sounds really really rough..

^nice post^

Thanx

Wow... My mom had a herniated disc when I was a kid. I remember my entire family was really frustrated. We could never possibly understand what she was going through, we always thought she was being a bit overdramatic the way she used to be, when she had a cold or got a cut, etc.. But sometimes she would be on the verge of tears randomly while picking up some dishes out of the cabinet, and dropped them a few times. We used to joke around that it was her way out of doing the dishes or stuff around the house haha.. Everyday actions were hell for her to do. She'd have to call us from outside just to pour a half full quart of milk into her coffee, it got really annoying. Your post has shed some light for me to understand a little bit what she was going through. Sounds really really rough..

Glad it helps you understand, it really is hard to explain severe pain. I remember now, it was about 2 weeks when I finally quit after getting some treatment and pain killers. After game jokes like "hey 5th wheel" etc... I knew it was time to get out and address the more important issue of my lower back/spine. Out of all the friends and team mates, one guy that razzed me those last few games, called me up and met for a few beers, he sincerely apologize after realizing it wasn't to be taken likely anymore... that meant the world to me. Edited by HOLLYWOOD