GDT- Eastern Conference Semifinals. Game 1 New Jersey @ Philadelphia

Derlique

It was interference, or at least more blatant interference than stuff that's already gotten goals disallowed in the playoffs, bfd...the Flyers were getting it one way or another in the OT anyway with as much as they dominated.

Yeah but it only takes one bounce. I was arguing with people about the interference and they give the excuses it would be weak its barely in the crease. Then what the hell is the point of it if all of the crease is not treated the same. These are the same people who bitch and whine that no one knows what the refs are calling. Well its because the same people bitch and moan when they call the small stuff.

Edited by roomtemp

Honestly, not even mad.

Marty played like a boss.

Can't wait for game 2

Agreed.

I think my biggest concern is how they can't avoid the box. They repeatedly talk a big game about being disciplined, but continue to take bad penalties.

I did not think there was big enough goaltender interference to negate that goal.

Perspective. We need perspective.

We should give thanks that we only bottomed out one season. Now we're in the secodn round it what appears to be at least a competitive shot against the Flyers. Win or lose, I'm happy with this season.

Agree, after the win against Florida I felt like they'd done enough to make this a successful season. I never thought of this Devils team as true Cup contenders. Doesn't mean I don't hope they'll do more...just that I won't be upset if they don't.

I'd be a little dissapointed if they didn't win a couple of games and were non-competitive, but I don't expect to win the series anyway. If that did happen though (losing in 4 or 5) it would prove all the more that we needed the 'right' matchup to get out of the first round and still had a lot of work to do to be a true contender.

I'm al lot more embarrassed by some of the ignorant NJ fan statements in this thread than anything any particular player, or the team as a whole, did on the ice today.

We took PHI to OT in their own building - 'nuff said.

Some of you should apply for coaching jobs - to think if Pete Debo only the secrets to winning were "bench player X", "play a full 60 minutes"?

Din, once again you're too easily satisfied with losing.

The only comment I'll make on the game is that the refs didn't seem to make calls both ways. Not why we lost but still..

Also, that goal song of theirs is so appropriate for the oafs that live in that hellhole of a city. Perfect theme song for a low iq individual.

Of course the refs weren't making calls both ways, we didn't do much to earn calls. When you get dominated for two plus periods compared to the one you dominate, then having a 2-1 ratio in penalties is pretty fair to me. Especially considering one of the calls we did get was basically a nonexistent foul on the Henrique breakaway.

While I agree there are no moral victories this time of year (especially in games you get outplayed from the end of the first on), the fact is there are no viable bench options at this point. Benching this guy and that guy is silly when what's behind door number two and door number three is crap anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

At this point theres no point in benching guys, the best thing would be to manage their time if theres anything

I know kovy cant skate but his shot will always be dangerous... But yeah he's not shooting... But again kovy is like sykora... He may not bring a lot but he can change a game quickly with a good pass or a good shot... As long hes not costing us goals its okay

Din, once again you're too easily satisfied with losing.

The only comment I'll make on the game is that the refs didn't seem to make calls both ways. Not why we lost but still..

Also, that goal song of theirs is so appropriate for the oafs that live in that hellhole of a city. Perfect theme song for a low iq individual.

DOOP DOOP DOOP DOOPDOOPDOOP. Lmao. That and the idiot who wrote that stupid Ranger goal song should be up for Grammys.

DOOP DOOP DOOP DOOPDOOPDOOP. Lmao. That and the idiot who wrote that stupid Ranger goal song should be up for Grammys.

haha But even the Ranger goal song is no where near as absolutely retarded as the Flyers song.

DERP DERP DERP DER-DER-DERP DERP DERP :blink:

All the more reason I hope we don't have to listen to it too often...

Some really good moments for the devs to build on. Played a great first period and hung in after that. Outside of the gimme Marty looked strong. Kovy definitely is hurt but better than any other option. Zid's had bad luck but at least he wasn't on the pk. He's getting too many minutes and is mighty weak defensively. Not sure there is much of a choice but I dread seeing him against the top line or pk.

I'm al lot more embarrassed by some of the ignorant NJ fan statements in this thread than anything any particular player, or the team as a whole, did on the ice today.

Some of you should apply for coaching jobs - to think if Pete Debo only the secrets to winning were "bench player X", "play a full 60 minutes"?

I agree about the fanspeak, especially the 60 minutes nonsense...I guess they thought the Devils were just going to turn in two more periods just like the first. What always gets me about the "60 minutes" silliness is the fans who spew it always look at it solely from the Devils' perspective. If you look at the way the Flyers came out in the first, you can easily say the Flyers didn't play 60 minutes either.

Who knows what was said after the first period in each locker room, but it wouldn't surprise me if Laviolette said something along the lines of, "Just get your sh!t together and play your game, and you'll win this thing without too much trouble..."...which is pretty much what happened, save for Bryz's Syroka softie. The disconcerting this is that the Devils seemed powerless to do much about it, as we saw.

Regardless of what happens in this series, I think DeBoer has done a terrific job with this team. I'm curious to see if he can come up with some way to even this thing out...in recent playoff years, once the Devils get that two-steps-slower look, it tends to stick around until they get knocked out in five.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Of course the refs weren't making calls both ways, we didn't do much to earn calls. When you get dominated for two plus periods compared to the one you dominate, then having a 2-1 ratio in penalties is pretty fair to me. Especially considering one of the calls we did get was basically a nonexistent foul on the Henrique breakaway.

Maybe I was looking at the wrong replay angles, but it looked like he got Henrique's hand with his stick to me. Eddie Olczyk sounded like he was auditioning for a gig with CSN Philly with his call. All he needed were more Tastykakes mentions.

Speaking of hindsight officiating, I'm thinking the slight nudge Marty got on the winner is a set play. I can't recall the specifics, but I do remember a glove save he made earlier in the game while spinning on his knees. I thought to myself, "Why the hell is he spinning like that"? On the replay, you could see it was because he got clipped at the top of the crease just like he did in OT. Timing play. Something to watch for in Game 2.

+1,

also whether or not Kovy is actually hurt, I'm not buying anything until I see some sort of official statement (which probably won't come while we're still playing, if ever). So I'm not jumping on this whole "Kovy is hurt conspiracy" bandwagon either. He's only played in 2 playoff series and the one with ATL tanked almost immediately. He just won his first one and now we have the Flyers this round. It wouldn't be easy for anyone. Benching a player rarely fixes any problem and if it does, only for a limited time, there is a big risk of relapse. Despite the mistakes (by everyone on the ice, not just our players, not just their players, and refs included) we took them to OT in their building when so many people have been expecting us to get blown out for 4 games and it would be over quickly. It shows me we still have plenty of fight in us if we keep showing up. Look, whatever's up with Kovy is something he has to work out, between himself, PDB and the team. We can't do anything to help the situation. It doesn't just happen with him but he is certainly the big target lately. Usually it's Zach, Marty, Greene, Salvador, Elias(to some degree), VOLCHENKOV - anytime someone steps once into the limelight he's now expected to be superhuman and stay there, never have a bad day, week, month, season whatever. Look, it would SUCK to lose this series to the Phailures, but we can take some pride here that either way this is a huge improvement on last year and the year before. We didn't miss the playoffs, we didn't "stumble in" at the end and we made it past the first round. You have to go in expecting 7 games and being ready for them, not thinking "oh this team (Panthers) was easy during the season, we owned them" - the playoffs are completely different and if you go in cocky you will be in serious trouble.

However we end this year, I stand by this team and everyone on it. I'm a Devils fan and I AM PROUD

The Flyers weren't going to lie down the whole game, so hopefully nobody expected the first period to last. Like they said it was just rust from not playing in a week while we did. Oh, and the goal songs...ugh they are pretty annoying. I really don't get what the Flyer fans like about that one, is it even a real clip from a real song? and the Rangers one sounds like someone with diarrhea. But they think it's cool. Just shows their stupidity.

Edited by Legion15

+1,

also whether or not Kovy is actually hurt, I'm not buying anything until I see some sort of official statement (which probably won't come while we're still playing, if ever). So I'm not jumping on this whole "Kovy is hurt conspiracy" bandwagon either.

i snipped the rest of all of this but if you think theres not something physically wrong with kovalchuk just by watching him and seeing his play then i really do not know what to tell you.

I was as happy with a playoff loss as one can be. :saddevil:

Philly looked piss poor and extremely beatable. I really hope the Devils gained confidence from that.

OT disappointed.

It looked like they play the game in their heads not on ice and it threw them off their timing.

This team is capable of winning this, they really are, It's just a matter of are they really motivated enough?

I don't mean that in a bad way -- I'm sure they feel the urgency but it doesn't seem to get to the point of real clarity and singleness of purpose.

It's like they think the single purpose, but all their efforts get diluted with minutiae.

It's hard -- the whole "one step at a time" has it's merits, but every single step can't be that urgent or you burn out.

How anyone who has watched this team all year doesn't realize Kovy is hurt is beyond me. The guy can't skate, he doesn't carry the puck through the neutral zone, and every time he gets the puck, he looks to pass it or dump it into the zone for someone else on his line to chase, something he rarely did in the regular season. Plus, look at how he is reacting to questions about whether he is injured. He says no and immediately ends the interview. I don't know what's wrong, but it's something serious that is hampering his ability to skate.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Maybe I was looking at the wrong replay angles, but it looked like he got Henrique's hand with his stick to me. Eddie Olczyk sounded like he was auditioning for a gig with CSN Philly with his call. All he needed were more Tastykakes mentions.

Speaking of hindsight officiating, I'm thinking the slight nudge Marty got on the winner is a set play. I can't recall the specifics, but I do remember a glove save he made earlier in the game while spinning on his knees. I thought to myself, "Why the hell is he spinning like that"? On the replay, you could see it was because he got clipped at the top of the crease just like he did in OT. Timing play. Something to watch for in Game 2.

That wouldn't surprise me. The Flyers are good at stuff like that.

I like how PDB split up Kovy and Zach. I had hoped he would do it in Round 1.

Edited by 95Crash

I know we beat Florida and are in the second round, but what more can you want from this team. Of course, as fans, we want win every game possible, but thats not gonna happen. Win in 5 or lose in 4,Im still proud of this team. They are a ballsy group who doesnt back down when they appear to be down and out. Realistically speaking, what do you expect from this current group? Kovalchuk cant skate, Clarkson is clearly hurt, Volchenkov definitely has an issue, Josefson is out, Tallinder is out. When you essentially take away two 30 goal scorers, a solid center and two dmen, you cant expect anything more than a solid effort, which we are getting.

Now here are some thoughts about the game:

Of course we heard Pierre and Olczyk talk about the Flyers "rust" the whole first period, but when we got our forcheck going and started the cycle, Philly had no answer. Aside from Timonen (who is old) and Carle, they dont have a very mobile defense. We need to get them moving. I thought Parise was easily the best Devil and was generally proud of the effort we showed. Im not expecting to win this series, but Bryz does give me some confidence. He made a couple of nice saves when it was 1-0, but you could make a case that he should have stopped all three goals. He was extremely leaky and NJ needs to fire a lot of pucks on net. I also thought Marty was spectacular. Say what you want about the second goal, but it was kind of lucky. Marty recovered to make an amazing save and the rebound bounced right to JVR and he still almost got it! One area, the Devils definitely need to improve on is improving neutral zone coverage and spacing between the Dmen. Philly had 3 or 4 breakaways or odd man rushes because of poor neutral zone coverage by Volchenkov, Harrold and Zidlicky. Finally, I dont understand why Deboer doesnt emphasize that we need to hit Giroux and Briere every time we have a chance. I saw guys back away from opportunities to finish checks on these small guys and I think that could help wear them down as the series progresses. If we win game 2, we have home ice....so lets see what happens

I still think we can beat them... we just need to play a little bit better... and Kovalchuk even if he is hurt have to shoot the puck a lot more....

We need to play better shoot more and limit the error... Bryzgalov could cost them the series, lets win game 2