Attendance- 10,328

'7'

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, we see an exercise in flawed logic.

If no one shows up for games against "big time" rivals, why would they show if the team had more entertaining players on it?

It's obvious, then, that these fans who stayed away are not people who follow the game closely, by your own logic.

Want another try at it?

Jeez, that's absolutely horrible.

Let's face it, some teams draw big crowds all the time. The Devils will never be one of those teams.

Philly, Montreal, Minnesota and Detroit filled their buildings tonight.

The Isles, Thrashers and Devils failed to draw 12,000 in any of their buildings.

The economy is no excuse when there are teams filling their buildings on weeknights against non-rivals.

Go to a Rangers game, 9/10 people don't pay for their seats.

Untrue............

Corporate seats at MSG - the 100's and under.

I have season tickets in the 200's...those are not corporate owned...neither are the 300's or 400's.

Corporate seats take up about 40% of the Garden tops...probably less....

Go to a Rangers game, 9/10 people don't pay for their seats.

Untrue............

Corporate seats at MSG - the 100's and under.

I have season tickets in the 200's...those are not corporate owned...neither are the 300's or 400's.

Corporate seats take up about 40% of the Garden tops...probably less....

40% is a pretty steep number.

I think one of the problems is the CAA. We need an arena that sits somewhere besides next to one of the worlds most heavily traveled highways, upwind from an euqally busy airport. I live in NJ and I have to tell you, it's a hassle sometimes getting on the turnpike to go see a sporting event. I am hoping the Newark Arena is a step in the right direction. Maybe it will instill some semblance of a true home base. Yeah, I know what Newark's like, but the state has done some pretty nice things in Trenton (Soveriign Bank Arena, Mercer County Waterfront Park) and Camden (Tweeter Center, Aquarium, Campbells Field). The arena on the highway just isn't gonna do it.

Also, let's face facts. There are 4 hockey teams in this area. The Rangers were here first so it's only natural that they would have the larger fan base. The Isles and Flyers were second (the Flyers pick up from Mercer County downward and we were left to pick up the scraps. I have found that older Devils fans are usually die hard New Jerseyans who can't stomach the thought of rooting for a NY or Philly sports team when we have one with the letters NJ on their unis in our backyard. The rest seem to be younger fans who weren't around or following sports prior to 1982. Most people I know in NJ are Ranger or Flyer fans. That's just the way it is. That does not mean that they should just stop trying to market themselves.

just my thoughts

The fact that a lot of Devils fans seem to be young would lead you to believe that Devils management would have optimism for the future.

What I mean is this. Of the people who post here(this is a small sample of course) How many of you are too young to buy season tickets? How many feel that they will find a way to buy them when they are a little older and making steady money?

I have had Rangers tickets for a few years now, and before then couldn't afford it. If the Devils management feel that it's just a matter of time.......who knows?

But what if 5 years from now, when in theory, the "young" devils fans should be in their late 20's -early 30's by then, don't buy tickets?

They could be in a lot of trouble...

Steep? How? I'm not sure I'm following you guys....

40% of the building being corporate is a large number #10. If that number's correct and for the sake of this thread, I am assuming it is, that's a large % of seats in a building smaller than CAA. The fact that MSG sits smack dab in the middle of Manhattan doesn't hurt either. The Rangers have every advantage in this area. Add in the fact that generations have rooted for them and it's easy to see why they have absolutely no problem selling out a 14000 seat arena. Hell, given what I just listed, they'd probably have no problem selling out a 25000 seat arena. The product is almost not a factor in MSG. If the team sucks, the fans still show up, they just boo.

Bottom line is this, the Devils can't worry about what the Rangers are doing, they just need to develop a better marketing strategy and the placement of this new arena will be key in my opinion

Its mostly correct, the only way fans in NJ are Devils fans is because they never watched hockey and naturally rooted for the home team when they did begin watching hockey. Then there are the converts who stopped watching various local teams while they stunk it up during the 90s and became Devil fans.

The fan base should get bigger as the original Devil fans have families and instill the rightful values in their children ;) . Plus you have the bandwagon fans during winning times who never go back to the old NY/Philly teams. A lot of Devils fans are from out of NJ who just rooted for the best team or underdogs (as in 94-95).

And last, its the weather stupid!

Where are you getting the 14,000 figure from?

Didn't someone just say 14000 LOL. I was just formulating my posts on what I read in this thread. How much does MSG seat for hockey anyway?

Here it is, hellonice mentioned 140000

" But dugay, they only have to sell 14000 seats."

Maybe that's the number after the corp seats?? My bad.

no MSG holds like 18,100 for hockey. Definitely not over 19,000. Devs are the newest team in the region with the BIGGEST arena, of course it will be tough to sell out. I'm 17 now, been a fan since I was 8-9. You will bet your ass if I'm living in this area after college (depending if jobs are open here) that I will buy season tix.

That's why this new arena stuff is good. New arena, always attracts fans cauz it's a new product. Mass transit is a great thing. And the final great thing this that it will have like 1,000 less seats. The New Jersey Devils DO NOT need 19,040 seats when their arena isn't even in a town (seriously think EAST Rutherford is the Meadowslands Sports Somplex).