The league is a joke if Giroux is not suspended

'7'

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I don't want him suspended, he's as frustrated as anyone out there for the Flyers. As I've told any Phily fan I've seen so far today, he looked like Crosby (in a bad way) out there last night with all the whining. I think if he's out, it gives the rest of the Flyers something to rally around.

First time offender. I'm expecting a $2,500 fine and a warning about his next offense.

Exactly, same as what happened to Elias during the season.

Two main factors at play:

1. Intent. Giroux intentionally went after Zubrus in a wreckless fashion. If the intent wasn't there this wouldn't be an issue.

2. Credibility. Shanahan was brought in to provide some level of consistency to player safety. The video explanation charade speaks to that. There has to be a penalty, whether a fine or suspension. Admittedly I don't follow these rulings to say what that penalty should be.

Giroux dealt with concussion issues this year, so I like to think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it was a malicious, intent-to-injure hit, but it was cheap and reckless, and something that needs to be eliminated from hockey. Watching the replay, he definitely threw his shoulder. If you're going to draw a line, you have to stick to it, whether its a guy getting blow up coming across the middle or a cheap shot behind they play. Giroux claims he's "not a dirty player", ok, I believe that, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't a dirty play.

Edited by Jmorc2003

First time offender. I'm expecting a $2,500 fine and a warning about his next offense.

Exactly this. He was heading for Zubrus in anger, and hit his head, but I don't think Shanahan will suspend him regardless. The fine i think is a good possibility though. Is isn't really worse than Zetterberg's head getting slammed into the glass after the final whistle in round 1.

I would personally rather beat them in their house with Giroux on the ice as well. the Flyers fans will boo them all if they aren't up by a field goal at the end of 1. Should be a great game on Tuesday :)

The thing that really helps Giroux is that Zubrus came back, contributed, and played well. If Zubrus stays in the dressing room and is listed as Questionable for tomorrow, this is probably a 1 game suspension. Instead, with Giroux having no criminal record before now, this is going to be a max fine. The hit is to the side of the head, and it comes a while after the puck is gone, but it's a star player with no record, against a taller opponent who's leaning a bit over and barely missed any game time.

My main problem with what happened was the bloody fvcking INTENT to injure.

As he skates away from the official in the Devils' zone, he turns, skates as hard as he can all the way up ice, and blindside hits Zubrus (WHO DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE PUCK ANYMORE) with his shoulder- square to the jaw. It's as if, Giroux skates away from the official and says, "You're not gonna call that? Then I'll give you something to call."

What a fvcking classless piece of trash. Such maliciousness in this sport is despicable.

... he's as frustrated as anyone out there for the Flyers. As I've told any Phily fan I've seen so far today, he looked like Crosby (in a bad way) out there last night with all the whining. ...

... As he skates away from the official in the Devils' zone, he turns, skates as hard as he can all the way up ice, and blindside hits Zubrus (WHO DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE PUCK ANYMORE) with his shoulder- square to the jaw. It's as if, Giroux skates away from the official and says, "You're not gonna call that? Then I'll give you something to call." ...

No doubt about it, he's definitely frustrated, which is great for the Devils. I hope he doesn't get suspended just for that reason alone.

This hit looked very very similar to the other hit Zubrus took earlier in the season from Tyler Myers. Although this time he took a shoulder to the head rather than an elbow. I mention the previous hit on Zubrus because it appears as if Zubrus was hunched over slightly or leaning forward a bit, so I'm not holding my breath on this one, seeing as the Myers hit wasn't seen as suspendable.

This hit looked very very similar to the other hit Zubrus took earlier in the season from Tyler Myers. Although this time he took a shoulder to the head rather than an elbow. I mention the previous hit on Zubrus because it appears as if Zubrus was hunched over slightly or leaning forward a bit, so I'm not holding my breath on this one, seeing as the Myers hit wasn't seen as suspendable.

I agree but Zubrus had moved his head position on that hit. On this one he was skating the same way all the way up the ice. Giroux should be suspended but he will get the $2500 fine since Zubrus wasn't hurt.

And I also agree that Giroux was mouthing off to the officials all night when his line wasn't penned in the Devils end. He was on the ice for 3 Flyer shots at 5 on 5 - not a good night.

Edited by Triumph

I agree but Zubrus had moved his head position on that hit. On this one he was skating the same way all the way up the ice. Giroux should be suspended but he will get the $2500 fine since Zubrus wasn't hurt.

And I also agree that Giroux was mouthing off to the officials all night when his line wasn't penned in the Devils end. He was on the ice for 3 Flyer shots at 5 on 5 - not a good night.

The Flyers and their fans, despite always getting all over Crosby about whining, are the biggest whiners in the league. They dish out dirty hits like it's going outta style, then as soon as anything even borderline happens to a Flyer, it's wah wah wah wah the refs hate us, the league hates us, etc. I mean, I know our fans can get like that, but that's only because we're right.

I really think all the players went through "Don't Suspend Me" media training this season, you could make bingo cards for them:

"I didn't see the replay, but..."

"I'm not a dirty player"

"Just trying to finish my check"

They were similar, but Myers went through the motions of a normal hit. The combination of his height and Zubrus being hunched down made it an unfortunate coincidence that the primary point of contact was his head. Giroux, on the other hand, visibly raised his shoulder into Zubrus's jaw. If he went through the motions of a normal hit like Myers did, there wouldn't have been head contact. Instead, he went out of his way to make the head his primary point of contact.

All that said, I still don't think Giroux is a dirty player per se. I think he was just fuming and let his emotions cloud his judgement for a moment. Thankfully Zubrus is OK.

They were similar, but Myers went through the motions of a normal hit. The combination of his height and Zubrus being hunched down made it an unfortunate coincidence that the primary point of contact was his head. Giroux, on the other hand, visibly raised his shoulder into Zubrus's jaw. If he went through the motions of a normal hit like Myers did, there wouldn't have been head contact. Instead, he went out of his way to make the head his primary point of contact.

All that said, I still don't think Giroux is a dirty player per se. I think he was just fuming and let his emotions cloud his judgement for a moment. Thankfully Zubrus is OK.

True. The Myers hit did appear as if he was going to hit him and it just so happened that it was his elbow that made contact first. Giroux, to me at least, appeared to try to jump into Zubrus' head a bit. That being said, they were very very similar and I have ZERO faith in the NHL, be it Shanny or anyone else, to make any kind of ruling that could possibly be construed as fair and competent.

True. The Myers hit did appear as if he was going to hit him and it just so happened that it was his elbow that made contact first. Giroux, to me at least, appeared to try to jump into Zubrus' head a bit. That being said, they were very very similar and I have ZERO faith in the NHL, be it Shanny or anyone else, to make any kind of ruling that could possibly be construed as fair and competent.

As much as I'd like to see Shanny throw the book at him, I think the right call here would be a $2,500 fine. Zubes wasn't hurt (as much as I dislike injury severity as a criteria by which punishment is measured) and it's Giroux's first offense. If he doesn't even get the fine, I'll be disappointed. If he gets suspended, I'll be shocked.

The reasoning behind the suspensions is terrible - talking about whether the player hit is hurt or not. Total complete garbage. They have to be consistent. They want to remove headshots from the game because of LONG TERM brain damage. Just because the player is not hurt now, does not mean it will not lead to trouble down the road.

This might be the closest thing to the Giroux hit that's already gone through Shanahan. If you listen to his explanation, every single thing he says applies to Giroux. Being that MacArthur got two regular season games, I'm curious to see what the exchange rate is for the playoffs.

This might be the closest thing to the Giroux hit that's already gone through Shanahan. If you listen to his explanation, every single thing he says applies to Giroux. Being that MacArthur got two regular season games, I'm curious to see what the exchange rate is for the playoffs.

Good catch, if they want to be consistent they should at least give Giroux 1.