MVP of Rounds 1 & 2

Don

One thing that came out in my discussion last night was the OPPOSITE question. Who was the LEAST valuable player over the last two rounds? And the impressive thing was that it was hard to come up with a name. Even Peter Harrold has filled in admirally when called upon... even as a forward!

The funny thing was Brodeur's name came up in both conversations. He's had flashes of brilliance, but against Florida there were a number of goals I'm sure he would have liked to have back.

One thing that came out in my discussion last night was the OPPOSITE question. Who was the LEAST valuable player over the last two rounds? And the impressive thing was that it was hard to come up with a name. Even Peter Harrold has filled in admirally when called upon... even as a forward!

The funny thing was Brodeur's name came up in both conversations. He's had flashes of brilliance, but against Florida there were a number of goals I'm sure he would have liked to have back.

Really don't want to turn this to a negative since the board has been overwhelming positive, but you could make a case for Brodeur. You could have said Pony who was not having a good playoffs, but he had the gigantic OT winner in game 3. Sykora had a really tough round but had a few goals in this series and played much better. Volchenkov's 1st series struggles have been well documented but improved in round 2 as well.

Overall, you can;t say anyone had a really bad series against the Flyers, and it is the reason they won in 5. Devils have been able to role 4 lines. Last night no forwards played 20 minutes and all 12 played at least 10. You couldn't imagine that a few weeks ago.

I don't think Marty's getting enough credit for breaking up the Flyers' attack. His stickhandling and the Devils forecheck are really what killed Philly. Throughout the playoffs, with the exception of two flubs off the top of my head (there might be more I'm not thinking of), his stickhandling has been as good or better than it's ever been.

I don't think Marty's getting enough credit for breaking up the Flyers' attack. His stickhandling and the Devils forecheck are really what killed Philly. Throughout the playoffs, with the exception of two flubs off the top of my head (there might be more I'm not thinking of), his stickhandling has been as good or better than it's ever been.

This. He had a few mistakes, but he disrupted their forecheck all series. He saved the defensemen time and time again from getting hit and being forced to make tough plays. His puckhandling hasn't always been an asset over the past few years but in this series it certainly was.

Yea, and let's not forget his something like .953 SV % playoff average in the 3rd and OTs. He got better as each game got tighter.

Salvador for me. He's scored 2, 2!! goals. Joking aside, he's been as solid as anyone could be on defense, he's had a couple assists on big goals and his goal in last night's game was huge for us to settle down some of the momentum Philly had from Rinaldo's hit on Volchenkov.

Parise - leads the playoffs in shots on goal and is making whatever line he's on dominant (aside from Game 1 when he was stuck with a 30% Kovalchuk). I don't know where this team would be without him.

This. He pressed so hard with the puck, he willed this team to wake the fvck up.

I don't think it's better than it's ever been. I just think we were able to take it for granted back when he was ridiculous at stopping the puck.

If MVP is coming up with the right play at the right time, then Parise is a strong candidate for the honors. His defensive play on Weiss (?) in Game 6 was a turning point in the offseason. Couple that with his consistently effective play, and with the comments coming from team veterans and coaching staff regarding his play, and it's hard to say, "No" for him to get this.

I have to say that Parise has played the best as an individual, he has been the leader we have all been looking for him to be the entire regular season in these playoffs.

However, I'd give the MVP to the entire fourth line, they have played brilliantly with tons of hustle and effort, even Sestitio when he had to step in for Carter. A great all around team effort in these playoffs, and I have reason to believe that comes directly from the spark these gritty guys are giving the team. Besides, it has to give a little nostalgia to every fan seeing a Gionta race around the ice giving hits, breaking up passes and fighting along the boards. Fourth Line, MVP.

I can't believe we are even discussing this! It is sooo obvious that the team MVP is Cam Janssen. Think how much he contributes by not stepping onto the ice. Truly remarkable.... 'nuff said.

Indeed. The complete team effort is what robbed Marty/Nieds/whomever in 2003.

Rant coming:

Alright, be ready to be angered fellow Devils fans: Am I the only one here who think Giguere deserved the Conn Smythe here? post-47-1136780719.gifI mean, sure I think they SHOULD have given it to Marty just for the principle of it and I'm sure there were some votes that came from hating on the Devils. I was at the winning game in '03 too, so don't get me wrong, I felt how wrong it was and was booing right along.

However, if I think about what the award means, Giguere was the outright winner. It goes to the most valuable player in the Silver Shiny Thingy playoffs. Marty was amazing but so was his team. Now, Giguere is an alright goalie in general but having watched every Ducks game that playoffs, I can honestly say I have never seen a goalie play at that level. The Ducks were not that great and I remember he would just stop everything. Then just when you thought he wouldn't stop something he would do it again. And again and again and again he would do this. It got to the point where he was pretty much beating teams by himself. If he stopped enough pucks his team would eventually score. It was really amazing watching that and that is what it means to be the "MOST" Valuable Player.

Of course I loved being the team that just ruined the whole Disney story (no pun intended). It reminded me of the scene in the Last Samurai (spoilers) when the Samurai are marching towards the soldiers, somehow amazingly killing all of them off - all to an inspirational soundtrack and then just when they're about to reach the last wave the music cuts to the sound of howitzers and the samurai are all mowed down. When the Ducks got to us it was the inspirational music cutting off and the howitzers replacing it. I loved the fact that everyone hated us and loved them. It is what being a Devils fan has really always been about; including watching the Conn Smythe go to the opposing team's goalie in the playoffs. Anyways there's only one trophy that means anything and that's why Marty motioned to the crowd to "not give a sh!t and get excited for the big one."

Rant coming:

Alright, be ready to be angered fellow Devils fans: Am I the only one here who think Giguere deserved the Conn Smythe here? post-47-1136780719.gifI mean, sure I think they SHOULD have given it to Marty just for the principle of it and I'm sure there were some votes that came from hating on the Devils. I was at the winning game in '03 too, so don't get me wrong, I felt how wrong it was and was booing right along.

However, if I think about what the award means, Giguere was the outright winner. It goes to the most valuable player in the Silver Shiny Thingy playoffs. Marty was amazing but so was his team. Now, Giguere is an alright goalie in general but having watched every Ducks game that playoffs, I can honestly say I have never seen a goalie play at that level. The Ducks were not that great and I remember he would just stop everything. Then just when you thought he wouldn't stop something he would do it again. And again and again and again he would do this. It got to the point where he was pretty much beating teams by himself. If he stopped enough pucks his team would eventually score. It was really amazing watching that and that is what it means to be the "MOST" Valuable Player.

Of course I loved being the team that just ruined the whole Disney story (no pun intended). It reminded me of the scene in the Last Samurai (spoilers) when the Samurai are marching towards the soldiers, somehow amazingly killing all of them off - all to an inspirational soundtrack and then just when they're about to reach the last wave the music cuts to the sound of howitzers and the samurai are all mowed down. When the Ducks got to us it was the inspirational music cutting off and the howitzers replacing it. I loved the fact that everyone hated us and loved them. It is what being a Devils fan has really always been about; including watching the Conn Smythe go to the opposing team's goalie in the playoffs. Anyways there's only one trophy that means anything and that's why Marty motioned to the crowd to "not give a sh!t and get excited for the big one."

Agreed. :ph34r:

I don't think Gigeure should have won. Marty was also spectacular that playoff year. Set multiple playoff records and stopped pucks at almost as high a level as Giguere, and that's before you add in Marty's ability to play the puck.

Giguere was great, but he didn't get the job done in the finals. If Marty hadn't also been spectacular, I could see why they gave Giguere the award, but they gave the award to the losing team's goalie when the winning teams goalie was equally spectacular.

The award was apparently close:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/how-the-conn-smythe-voting-shakes-down/article2061902/

I remember in 2003, before the New Jersey Devils-Anaheim Ducks’ final, about six of us who’d been designated as voters were all sitting next to each other in the press room before the start of the game and we talked about the Conn Smythe. A consensus emerged: That unless the Ducks’ J.S. Giguere had a particularly rough outing, he would likely win the award because that is how it is worded: “To the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs.” Sometimes, the MVP comes from the losing team and usually, it’s a goalie.

Well Giguere wasn't amazingly impressive in that game and Marty made no mistakes, still wasn't enough, obviously.

I don't think Gigeure should have won. Marty was also spectacular that playoff year. Set multiple playoff records and stopped pucks at almost as high a level as Giguere, and that's before you add in Marty's ability to play the puck.

Giguere was great, but he didn't get the job done in the finals. If Marty hadn't also been spectacular, I could see why they gave Giguere the award, but they gave the award to the losing team's goalie when the winning teams goalie was equally spectacular.

The award was apparently close:

http://www.theglobea...article2061902/

Well Giguere wasn't amazingly impressive in that game and Marty made no mistakes, still wasn't enough, obviously.

I'm not denying pretty much anything you say besides the statement that Marty was equally as impressive - he wasn't and he didn't need to be. I know he set records but you know better than most that doesn't tell the whole story. The point is - as I said - Giggy was the most valuable to his team in the playoffs. You argued that they should've given it to Marty and I agree but Giguere deserved it; what he did in those playoffs was amazing - it was so fun to watch. Marty was the more skilled goaltender and if tested might have been even more amazing but Giguere had angels rubbing his shoulders (damn it, Disney reference again) and was unbeatable for long stretches that got his team deep into the playoffs.