Clarkson's improvement under this coach.

Bryan

Have you ever heard of a player improving under a new coach as much as Clarkson has?

I've seen teams improve of course, but to have one player jump in production as much as he has from last year.

Anybody else notice that? Can you think of any other examples?

Not to be the debbie downer, but Clarkson's production wasn't too far away from his career trend of growth.

Goals(82 games pro-rated)

07-08: 9

08-09: 17

09-10: 20

11-12: 30

So if we remove last year as just an anomaly for the whole team, and add in PP time and a little bit of luck, this season isn't really that out of character. His 09-10 may be his most productive season, actually. Clarkson looks like a guy who will score 15-25 goals most years, as long as he stays on the PP, and got some puck luck this year that got him to 30.

Not to be the debbie downer, but Clarkson's production wasn't too far away from his career trend of growth.

Goals(82 games pro-rated)

07-08: 9

08-09: 17

09-10: 20

11-12: 30

So if we remove last year as just an anomaly for the whole team, and add in PP time and a little bit of luck, this season isn't really that out of character. His 09-10 may be his most productive season, actually. Clarkson looks like a guy who will score 15-25 goals most years, as long as he stays on the PP, and got some puck luck this year that got him to 30.

So does this mean he's going to score 40 or so next season? It's also kind of dangerous to play the pro-rate game...I remember people doing that when Jimmy Dowd had 15 points in 15 games in '93-'94.

Agree that 15-25 goals per season is probably a realistic expectation, but there was no way anyone looked at his numbers since his career began and thought "He's on his way to becoming a 30-goal scorer this season." If anything, last year (thought the whole team's numbers were pretty well down) had most thinking he may never score more than 20 again, if that many. This year was a perfect storm, in that he had some insane puck-luck, but that he also worked his ass off...I do give him all the credit for the world in doing that, in making himself the very best he could possibly be, and for helping to make his own luck. But no matter how you slice it, this season's production was a major surprise for Clarkson, and no one saw it coming.

So does this mean he's going to score 40 or so next season? It's also kind of dangerous to play the pro-rate game...I remember people doing that when Jimmy Dowd had 15 points in 15 games in '93-'94.

No, he isn't going to score 40, but it's not crazy that a guy who scored 17 and 20 goals upped his goal total by 10 through a combination of extra ice time and good luck.

I really only had to pro-rate 1 season where he still played over half the games.

If anything, last year (thought the whole team's numbers were pretty well down) had most thinking he may never score more than 20 again, if that many.

It was probably unfair to ignore Clarkson's prior 2 years in favor of 1 year where the whole team struggled, and Clarkson had horrific luck in.

Clarkson would have scored 19 goals with his normal shooting percentage last season, as an example of him getting some poor luck.

But no matter how you slice it, this season's production was a major surprise for Clarkson, and no one saw it coming.

Nobody ever sees a career year coming for a player, because it almost always means that player got lots of good luck and generous circumstances. It doesn't make the fact they had a career year surprising. It'll only be really surprising if he pulls it off again, IMO.

Edited by Devils731

No, he isn't going to score 40, but it's not crazy that a guy who scored 17 and 20 goals upped his goal total by 10 through a combination of extra ice time and good luck.

I really only had to pro-rate 1 season where he still played over half the games.

I'll give you five more goals, but 10 really is a lot...a quantum leap, especially for a guy like Clarkson. Not implying it's never been done before, but I remember dr33 was starting to show how many goals had gone off his body, were a result of incredibly fortunate bounces, etc. And I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from Clarkson, because the guy worked so damned hard to help make his own luck...last night's Bryz gaffe was perfect example. Actually reminds me a little bit of Langenbrunner (in that he also worked hard to get the most out of his ability for much of his career as a Devil...before it all went wrong, anyway).

It was probably unfair to ignore Clarkson's prior 2 years in favor of 1 year where the whole team struggled, and Clarkson had horrific luck in.

Clarkson would have scored 19 goals with his normal shooting percentage last season, as an example of him getting some poor luck.

Yeah, clearly a rotten year luck-wise for a team that would probably make the playoffs 8 years out of 10. But yeah, can't leave out the down year at the expense of the career year.

Nobody ever sees a career year coming for a player, because it almost always means that player got lots of good luck and generous circumstances. It doesn't make the fact they had a career year surprising. It'll only be really surprising if he pulls it off again, IMO.

Again, 25 goals or so wouldn't have shocked me, but 30?!

I couldn't possibly expect a 30-goal season out of him again, but 15-25 goals a season and continued growth of his hockey sense would be plenty fine with me.

I realize now that his numbers aren't that spectacular this season compared to other years.

But overall I've seen his contributions to the games become more and more meaningful. His goals seem to be coming at more important times in games.

I mean come on. We were killing this guy last year for looking like he couldn't even skate! And now he's one of our most productive forwards.

I'm just happy for the guy. Hard work is definitely paying off for him.

Well if Bryzgalov keeps passing him the puck I could absolutely see him becoming a 40-goal scorer!

Was that mean?

yeah certain players bloom under certain coaches, Clarky was real good under Sutter, then meh under Lemaire, now he's back doing well under Debo

I also think he's matured on his own, and this current team is deep, so he usually has some real good linemates...which helps. Also he gets PP time and a good amount of ice time.