Rags on Twitter

DJ Eco

You were a Devils fan and you switched?!?! That's just wrong dude... That hurts me inside.. And there is no chance you'd switch back?

Not now, dude. I mean, I'm sure there were subconscious things that occurred to make me switch. Like my brother and father are die-hard Ranger fans. My Dad is almost to a fault. Where I'll get mad and sometimes say things in the heat of frustration, he'll always support the team. He's a good fan.

I don't think so. Like I said, I totally respect the team, the organization, and the success that you've earned in your short span. But, I'm a pretty devoted Ranger fan. Sorry, brother! :evilcry:

Edited by Rangerfans

There is one unwritten law you don't break in situations like tense rivalries. You never, ever, EVER go after a rival player's family!

"They are not that tough. The football team at the high school I went to, they were tough. After they sacked the quarterback, they went after his family"-Thornton Melon

I know this should be expected from jagoff Ranger fans, but they've sunk to a new low with this crap

Calm yourself there, sparkie. It as a HS kid being a moron.

Where is this? Would be fun to RT it to Christie and see if we could ruin that experience for him.

Ryan McGuire ‏ @Smelly_Tweet

@emmoyes @peejsncream I'd be really Upset if I wasnt in the governors box for game 4...

Reply Retweet Favorite

10:46 PM - 14 May 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Details

Ignore this POS. There are classless individuals everywhere. Best to let them just expose themselves for the ignorant fools they are. I wouldn't even bother responding.

This makes me feel better...so we lost a fan to peer pressure from family as in the guy above here...well we have a convert from the other side...

Escape from New York: My switch from NY Rangers fan to New Jersey Devils fan Brian Donohue/The Star-Ledger

:koolaid:

As I said, less to do with peer pressure from family. They never pressured me whatsoever. The main why I jumped ship were friends of mine who were beyond obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant. Really rubbed me off the wrong way.

The type of kids that talk sh!t and how good they are in hockey, but when the high school hockey team tells them to put up or shut up, they refuse to try out? The type that plays deck hockey.

*shrugs* I know there are a plethora of Ranger fans taht are obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant (believe me, I see them and I call them out). I'm not even going to get into the BS and smacktalk after the games are over. Don't follow me into the bathroom to talk smack, that's against so many codes. :angry:

You were a Devils fan and you switched?!?! That's just wrong dude... That hurts me inside..

I'll second this.

This is like growing up with the Huxtables and saying, "I think I wanna go live with the Mansons instead. They seem like they'd be a lot of fun."

You were a Devils fan and you switched?!?! That's just wrong dude... That hurts me inside.. And there is no chance you'd switch back?

he switched because he cant stand the fan base !! WTF

We're arrogant and obnoxious, while rags fans are good people and level headed LOL

We're arrogant and obnoxious, while rags fans are good people and level headed LOL

On the whole, the Ranger fan base is certainly the more arrogant, demeaning one. They take the kinds of feelings any hockey fan has, "We're the best" "No, we're the best" "We're better than both of you", and then mix it in with the whole "it's cool to be a New Yorker who makes fun of Jersey" thing, and you end up with a more obnoxious attitude. But this individual was exposed to a different sort of situation, different types of people, and came away with a different impression. It doesn't surprise me that this can happen in particular cases.

When did I ever say that? Take off the bias and READ. Don't just blindly take what you want from a person's response and nit-pick what you use and don't use. Because - with all due respect - this is something that I can't stand, regardless of fanbase.

On the whole, the Ranger fan base is certainly the more arrogant, demeaning one. They take the kinds of feelings any hockey fan has, "We're the best" "No, we're the best" "We're better than both of you", and then mix it in with the whole "it's cool to be a New Yorker who makes fun of Jersey" thing, and you end up with a more obnoxious attitude. But this individual was exposed to a different sort of situation, different types of people, and came away with a different impression. It doesn't surprise me that this can happen in particular cases.

Thank you. You said it perfectly. I know that New York fans are obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant (believe me, I can't stand Giant or Yankee fans). I also know of a few Ranger fans who are just as bad whom I don't converse with. In my daily life, the Ranger fans that I know are devoted to their team, overly pessimistic (it's not like we haven't been let down every year), and pretty knowledgeable in regards to hockey. I play at Wallington for example, and you can find a nice parity of Devil and Ranger fans.

Nice win yesterday by the way! Your forecheck is ruthless! I'll see you Saturday! :cheers:

Not now, dude. I mean, I'm sure there were subconscious things that occurred to make me switch. Like my brother and father are die-hard Ranger fans. My Dad is almost to a fault. Where I'll get mad and sometimes say things in the heat of frustration, he'll always support the team. He's a good fan.

I don't think so. Like I said, I totally respect the team, the organization, and the success that you've earned in your short span. But, I'm a pretty devoted Ranger fan. Sorry, brother! :evilcry:

You've explained it all before.

You said our rude fans caused you to switch -- you wrote that years ago. I didn't read this thread so I'm guessing you had to share again? Is it like confession for you? Why you turned to the dark side or something? And you get all defensive like we invited you in and then attacked you.

I hate the mealy mouthing insincere sh!t you spout. You try, you really do -- you even came back to visit once in a while thereafter to prove you weren't just coming to the board to get your jollies during the series. Sooo what do you want - you're just being a nice guy and we should all be nice to your well-meaning ribbing? NO... we have a cool board and you want to participate :rolleyes: whatever - but take your lumps and enjoy then -- don't expect to welcomes with open arms like you're some wonderful guy. Ya just make me wanna puke, having to read this same load of sh!t all OVER AGAIN. read the same pretentious piety? :puke: :puke: :puke: Do we have this to look forward too next season too?

Don't answer -- I really DO NOT enjoy your posting so I am putting you on ignore preemptively. Yeah, I really do just want to say my piece and have you STFU :evil: 'cause I REALLY care that makes you think I'm an a$$hole.... :doh1:

BYE!

Edited by Pepperkorn
  • Like 1

When did I ever say that? Take off the bias and READ. Don't just blindly take what you want from a person's response and nit-pick what you use and don't use. Because - with all due respect - this is something that I can't stand, regardless of fanbase.

this is from your post:

It's funny, I don't hate the Devils, per se. I have no problems with anyone on the team. It's just fanbase that I can't stand. Now, I know a few (okay, more than a few) are awesome, but the few *insert any derogatory term* are so outrageous, hateful, and completely irrational, that it's hard see the good sometimes! Hahaha

you tell me where I got that from

Edited by hargsy

I agree. Look, ironically my first ever hockey game was the NJ Devils vs the Vancouver Canucks back in the late 80s (I had to be 5 or 6). I still vividly remember the game. Canucks-4 Devils-3. I then became hooked and I was a Devil's fan.

That stayed until about the late 90s (truth be told, I didn't become a devout fanatic until the lockout). The reason why I started to lose my fandom was mostly due to a few 'friends' who were Devil fans. Unfortunately, I guess the best way to describe them would be your 'typical, fair-weather' Ranger fan: obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant. It really turned me off hardcore.

It's funny, I don't hate the Devils, per se. I have no problems with anyone on the team. It's just fanbase that I can't stand. Now, I know a few (okay, more than a few) are awesome, but the few *insert any derogatory term* are so outrageous, hateful, and completely irrational, that it's hard see the good sometimes! Hahaha.

And I KNOW you all can say, "Well, I know a lot of great Devil hockey fans...but I know a $hitload of obnoxious Ranger fans!" And I'll agree with that statement! But ironically - coming from the other side - it's the exact same thing!

I mean, it was a tight game yesterday, but I am actually hearing that we intentionally created bad ice (the ice sucked) to hinder your awesome forecheck. Talk about completely irrational.

The hatred and bias bothers me. The ignorance bothers me. People who say that Brodeur is "only good because of the trap" are ignorant. That is such an asinine statement and Devil fans have every right to defend one of the greatest goaltenders to EVER play the game -- and thee greatest stick handler, ever.

But those same defendants will they say Lundqvist is "only good because of his mattress pads." Ignorance.

So all in all, I simply can't stand stupid, idiotic, and ignorant fans...regardless of who they cheer for. :cheers:

Lundqvist would be a world-class goalie if he played wearing Marty's pads too, I think thats what pisses me off about the pads so much. But those shoulders, dear god I must have seen at least 4-5 shoulder deflections last night that would've EASILY been goals.

And lets be brutally honest, the ice was terrible. I'm not saying MSG did it on purpose AT ALL.... but I honestly wouldn't put it past Sather..

You've explained it all before.

You said our rude fans caused you to switch -- you wrote that years ago. I didn't read this thread so I'm guessing you had to share again? Is it like confession for you? Why you turned to the dark side or something? And you get all defensive like we invited you in and then attacked you.

I hate the mealy mouthing insincere sh!t you spout. You try, you really do -- you even came back to visit once in a while thereafter to prove you weren't just coming to the board to get your jollies during the series. Sooo what do you want - you're just being a nice guy and we should all be nice to your well-meaning ribbing? NO... we have a cool board and you want to participate :rolleyes: whatever - but take your lumps and enjoy then -- don't expect to welcomes with open arms like you're some wonderful guy. Ya just make me wanna puke, having to read this same load of sh!t all OVER AGAIN. read the same pretentious piety? :puke: :puke: :puke: Do we have this to look forward too next season too?

Don't answer -- I really DO NOT enjoy your posting so I am putting you on ignore preemptively. Yeah, I really do just want to say my piece and have you STFU :evil: 'cause I REALLY care that makes you think I'm an a$$hole.... :doh1:

BYE!

calm-down.jpg

:boogie:

U mad?

Edited by Rangerfans

Lundqvist would be a world-class goalie if he played wearing Marty's pads too, I think thats what pisses me off about the pads so much. But those shoulders, dear god I must have seen at least 4-5 shoulder deflections last night that would've EASILY been goals.

And lets be brutally honest, the ice was terrible. I'm not saying MSG did it on purpose AT ALL.... but I honestly wouldn't put it past Sather..

As a goalie, I gotta be honest. I don't have much beef with it because of all the stick technology that occurs in today's game. Those sticks are SO light and guys can pin-point with ease! It's pretty incredible.

As for the ice. Dude, I totally the agree. The ice was atrocious. It was one of the worst I've ever seen in a hockey game. But I also think both teams were affected by it. When the puck is bouncing that much, it's gotta be a nightmare for both.

And Hargsy: I also said Ranger fans were obnoxious, idiotic, and ignorant too. But you chose to ignore that.

Personally, I think you're reasoning to switch is a little odd. You hate the fanbase? What does the word fanbase even really mean? Who decided the characteristics of the Devils fan base? Every team has a diverse following, with all walks of life involved. Not all Devils fans are going to be rude ***holes, that is the minority. Not all Rangers fans are going to be blind and arrogant. Not all Flyers fans are going to beat you up. Not all Penguins fans and Capitals fans just started watching hockey a couple years ago. Yes, the Islanders & Coyotes have fans.

You see, these idiotic stereotypes are silly and really do nothing positive for anyone. Your family having allegiance to the Rangers is a great reason to be a Rangers fan. Who is to say I'd be a Devils fan if I wasn't born in Jersey and my Father wasn't getting into hockey and the Devils after 95'? But to list the "fanbase" as your reason seems silly. Then you say your Devils fan friends were the reason for that, because they were obnoxious dicks. Sounds to me like you needed new friends rather than a new team.

In the end you can choose any reason to be a fan of a sports team. Maybe you like the color blue more than red. I don't know. I personally don't. I'm actually petitioning the Coast Guard to switch to all red uniforms with NJ crests on the chest so I am not forced to wear that gross color blue all day! Anyway, that's just my opinion. You don't seem like a bad person (as I am sure most New York fans aren't) but I hope your day gets ruined on Saturday. And Monday. And Wednesday.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

Personally, I think you're reasoning to switch is a little odd. You hate the fanbase? What does the word fanbase even really mean? Who decided the characteristics of the Devils fan base? Every team has a diverse following, with all walks of life involved. Not all Devils fans are going to be rude ***holes, that is the minority. Not all Rangers fans are going to be blind and arrogant. Not all Flyers fans are going to beat you up. Not all Penguins fans and Capitals fans just started watching hockey a couple years ago. Yes, the Islanders & Coyotes have fans.

You see, these idiotic stereotypes are silly and really do nothing positive for anyone. Your family having allegiance to the Rangers is a great reason to be a Rangers fan. Who is to say I'd be a Devils fan if I wasn't born in Jersey and my Father wasn't getting into hockey and the Devils after 95'? But to list the "fanbase" as your reason seems silly. Then you say your Devils fan friends were the reason for that, because they were obnoxious dicks. Sounds to me like you needed new friends rather than a new team.

In the end you can choose any reason to be a fan of a sports team. Maybe you like the color blue more than red. I don't know. I personally don't. I'm actually petitioning the Coast Guard to switch to all red uniforms with NJ crests on the chest so I am not forced to wear that gross color blue all day! Anyway, that's just my opinion. You don't seem like a bad person (as I am sure most New York fans aren't) but I hope your day gets ruined on Saturday. And Monday. And Wednesday.

Great post actually. And when I truly think about it, I'm sure subconsciously my family being Ranger fans had more of my allegiance than anything else.

Truth be told, I really go into hockey post-lockout. It was almost like a clean slate. I 'was' turned off from various fans, but I'm sure it has more to do with just my family watching games year and year and getting familiar with names, people, etc. without even trying. At the end of the day, Blue became my team.

It really is a good post, and if I came across as "holier than thou" I sincerely apologize and don't mean to come across that way whatsoever. I am a hockey fan, first and foremost. And enjoy talking about the sport in-general.

As for hoping my day(s) get ruined, I expect nothing else! :cheers: Right now I hope my team can cause misery for you all. But when the dust settles and the series is over, hopefully we can shake hands and have a mutual respect for each other.

Cheers.

I can vouch for the fanbase hate helping you form your opinion. I live in Orange County, NY. Its about an hour north of NYC. I was always a casual Devils fan, especially after the switch to red and black in 92. (I was 11... don't judge me!). But what absolutely solidified me was the crap I took from Ranger fans after 1994. Being the only Devils fan in the school, I got it from all sides. So, I can definitely see where Rangerfans is coming from when he says that.