NHL sends NHLPA CBA termination notice

Z-Man

Can't wait for this summers exciting battle between billionaires and millionaires. :rolleyes:

And that's a big part of the problem. With the current ecomony and so many people struggling trying to make ends meet, fans have a lot less patience for this "millionaire va. billionaires" crap than they used to. Doesn't matter which side is right or wrong...I think there's very much a "fvck both of you, figure it out" mentality.

And that's a big part of the problem. With the current ecomony and so many people struggling trying to make ends meet, fans have a lot less patience for this "millionaire va. billionaires" crap than they used to. Doesn't matter which side is right or wrong...I think there's very much a "fvck both of you, figure it out" mentality.

Exactly. Fans will never see anything near what these owners and players make...

It is just greed, bottom line

I think worst case scenario is a repeat of the NBA lockout, miss maybe half the schedule. 2004 was an unusual case, introducing a cap system is a huge step relative to what will happen this offseason.

I have a gut feeling they are going to miss half the year...hope I'm wrong though.

Amen. In the end the owners are going to walk away with $$$, the players will walk away with $$$, and the fans are the ones who will get screwed.

Sure it's a formality, but they couldn't wait until AFTER a great playoff season to do this?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-05-16/nhl-cba-termination-notice/55019336/1

The deadline for sending notice was Friday, May 18th. They couldn't wait until after the playoffs.

They have absolutely no fear of doing this. I know many, many people who proclaimed last time that they "would never go to another NHL game ever" ... all of whom have returned to going to the games. The league knows that even if they shut down for a year, the fans will forgive them.

Edited by Don

The deadline for sending notice was Friday, May 18th. They couldn't wait until after the playoffs.

They have absolutely no fear of doing this. I know many, many people who proclaimed last time that they "would never go to another NHL game ever" ... all of whom have returned to going to the games. The league knows that even if they shut down for a year, the fans will forgive them.

The economy was in better shape the last time. I also think there's a "We let it go the first time, but if you do it AGAIN" feeling with another lockout looming.

If they get, say, a 50-60 game season going, I would say most, if not all, fans will probably forgive and forget...moreso than ever, we're seeing that, with parity rampant, the regular season doesn't mean a whole lot anyway...just get into the playoffs and you've got a legit shot. But I don't think all fans will put up with prolonged nonsense...yes, many of them will come back (and I would be one of them...I enjoy Devils hockey too much to just walk away from it, no matter what the millionaires and billionaires squabble over), but I do believe, because of the 2004-2005 that never was, some fans would finally say "fvck this, I'm done.", and actually mean it. How many? Who knows.

The economy was in better shape the last time. I also think there's a "We let it go the first time, but if you do it AGAIN" feeling with another lockout looming.

If they get, say, a 50-60 game season going, I would say most, if not all, fans will probably forgive and forget...moreso than ever, we're seeing that, with parity rampant, the regular season doesn't mean a whole lot anyway...just get into the playoffs and you've got a legit shot. But I don't think all fans will put up with prolonged nonsense...yes, many of them will come back (and I would be one of them...I enjoy Devils hockey too much to just walk away from it, no matter what the millionaires and billionaires squabble over), but I do believe, because of the 2004-2005 that never was, some fans would finally say "fvck this, I'm done.", and actually mean it. How many? Who knows.

I think the big loss would be the casual fans. These are the people that the NHL targets so much, and you really risk losing them for good with another lost season.

People like us who post on these boards are already hooked. For me, a lost season would probably just mean I go see the Albany Devils a few times (I live roughly the same distance from Newark and Albany).