Matteau defends his goalie

Matteau#32

Funny how there are certain guys you see eye-to-eye with on just about everything Devils-related. You are me are like that DD56.

Here's how I've always seen it, and I can only really talk about the guys I saw play.

Best pure puck-stopper: Hasek...guy was ridiculous in his prime...hard to believe he didn't become an NHL regular until he was 29.

Best clutch performer: Roy...carried that '93 Canadiens team on his back. 151 playoff wins?! That's just insane.

Best all-around: Marty, especially when you factor in his puck-handling. Neither Roy nor Hasek saw the game change its rules to offset what they did. And yeah, his longevity is absurd. It's only the last couple of seasons we've seen a dropoff in his play, and even then, he's still had very good extended stretches...he may not be playing as well as the three other goalies left in the playoffs, but his save% and GAA these playoffs are actually slightly better than his playoff career numbers, for whatever that's worth.

As for Lundqvist...I think he's obviously among the best playing right now, but it remains to be seen if he'll be as memorable as Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur. Winning a Cup or two would help his cause in that regard greatly, especially with this team. The Rangers could easily lose 10 or 11 games at the rate they're going if they win the Cup.

I like this reply CR76 and agree with it wholeheartedly. I feel like arguing great goaltenders is akin to arguing great QBs. Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino, Archi Manning, Jim Kelly, etc. What do they all have in common? Ostensibly great QBs who, added together, have the same number of Super Bowl rings as me..... I have none. Does that mean they weren't great at their position? Some would say yes, some would say no. Same applies to goalies IMHO. No matter how great Hasek's heroics were, he only solidified his position of greatness after getting a cup (and Hasek was a friggin' monster). Lundy is good, but until he wins something or his career is over the jury will be out: is he More like Archie or Peyton/Eli Manning?

imma resume this thread in 1 sentence

people feeding a troll

Shut your fvcking trap Matteau#32, imagine some lonely Devs fan trying to defend all the obnoxious things we've heard ever since marty step into the league from the sh!t he got from Rangers fans on a rangers board

yeah

Makes no sense at all

only Ranger fan that was truly tolerated was Derek(?) he went overboard sometime, but most of the regular could deal with it

I'll say this once and for all; I'm a Dev fan and I don't give a flying fvck about Henrik, I'm not gonna fantasize about calling him puffy cuz of his gear, not gonna call him a queen...Why? Cuz I'm not a retarded fan that'd follow what a 31year old retired guy would say ''fatso'' and chants of ''marty'' in msg so on, I care more about my team than hating a fvcking goalie that I don't give a fvck

Cya.

Edited by TravisZajac

Uhm, how could they not deserve to win when they didn't surrender any goals?

Well, it's appropriate that you titled this "defends his goalie" - because he is the ONLY person you can defend right now. Who else is having a good series for the Rangers? Lundqvist is the only reason your boys did not get swept right out of the playoffs. I know it's hard to take, but you can't honestly sit here and not be worried. The Devils have dominated nearly every period of every game. The Rangers have shown little to no attack so far. If not for a few clutch goals from Girardi then where are you? Are Gaborik and Richards even playing? Were you really proud of your Rangers when they were gooning it up a day after their coach accused the Devils of cheapshots and gamesmanship?

Lundqvist is a great goalie. We all know that. This thread is useless, because you do not have to defend Henrik Lundqvist, and you can't defend your team's play. Unless Lundqvist steals six more games, then you guys can forget it, and Sam Rosen's "THIS ONE WILL LAST A LIFETIME!!" will continue to hold true.

Well, it's appropriate that you titled this "defends his goalie" - because he is the ONLY person you can defend right now. Who else is having a good series for the Rangers? Lundqvist is the only reason your boys did not get swept right out of the playoffs. I know it's hard to take, but you can't honestly sit here and not be worried. The Devils have dominated nearly every period of every game. The Rangers have shown little to no attack so far. If not for a few clutch goals from Girardi then where are you? Are Gaborik and Richards even playing? Were you really proud of your Rangers when they were gooning it up a day after their coach accused the Devils of cheapshots and gamesmanship?

Lundqvist is a great goalie. We all know that. This thread is useless, because you do not have to defend Henrik Lundqvist, and you can't defend your team's play. Unless Lundqvist steals six more games, then you guys can forget it, and Sam Rosen's "THIS ONE WILL LAST A LIFETIME!!" will continue to hold true.

To his credit, he didn't actually start this thread. One of the admins split most of this from the "HEENRIIK" chant thread after it got derailed pretty badly.

imma resume this thread in 1 sentence

people feeding a troll

Shut your fvcking trap Matteau#32, imagine some lonely Devs fan trying to defend all the obnoxious things we've heard ever since marty step into the league from the sh!t he got from Rangers fans on a rangers board

yeah

Makes no sense at all

only Ranger fan that was truly tolerated was Derek(?) he went overboard sometime, but most of the regular could deal with it

I'll say this once and for all; I'm a Dev fan and I don't give a flying fvck about Henrik, I'm not gonna fantasize about calling him puffy cuz of his gear, not gonna call him a queen...Why? Cuz I'm not a retarded fan that'd follow what a 31year old retired guy would say ''fatso'' and chants of ''marty'' in msg so on, I care more about my team than hating a fvcking goalie that I don't give a fvck

Cya.

This coherent and thoughtful post added necessary insight to this discussion, and I for one am thankful for your contribution.

I don't mind you making a spirited argument for your guy but you lose credibility with me when you make up "facts". He has been in the league and has been a Vezina finalist (top 3 in voting) 3.5 times, always as an also-ran (before this year obviously). That's not 5 or 6 out of 7.

2006: Finished third (Couldn't find the vote totals quickly but recall that Kiprusoff was the winner in a landslide over Brodeur and Lundqvist)

2007: Finished tied for third (Brodeur 122, Luongo 116, Kiprusoff 7, Lundqvist 7)

2008: Finished third (Brodeur 113, Nabokov 106, Lundqvist 8)

2012: ? (will likely win and will finish no worse than 2nd)

Worth noting: The only goalie with more top 3 finishes in that time is Marty.

soul owned.

The Salvador shot he just didnt see until it was directly in front of him. Salvador just got it through, a seeing-eye shot as Olcyzk (I think) kept saying last night. The Parise shot? Lundqvist does tend to give up rebounds. The difference is the rangers skaters have been great all year at controlling the rebounds and/or tying up opponents so they can't get to rebounds. On that play, it just didn't happen. Not worried. Has been this teams M.O. all year and especially this play-offs.

well its gone from rattled to not that good.....told you that you shouldve been worried

edit...i take this back

Edited by justdo3043

I don't mind you making a spirited argument for your guy but you lose credibility with me when you make up "facts". He has been in the league and has been a Vezina finalist (top 3 in voting) 3.5 times, always as an also-ran (before this year obviously). That's not 5 or 6 out of 7.

2006: Finished third (Couldn't find the vote totals quickly but recall that Kiprusoff was the winner in a landslide over Brodeur and Lundqvist)

2007: Finished tied for third (Brodeur 122, Luongo 116, Kiprusoff 7, Lundqvist 7)

2008: Finished third (Brodeur 113, Nabokov 106, Lundqvist 8)

2012: ? (will likely win and will finish no worse than 2nd)

Worth noting: The only goalie with more top 3 finishes in that time is Marty.

Believe he was also on the list for 2009. I was counting this year as well. Whatever it is, 4, 5, doesn't matter. Point is, he has had a lot more than 1 good year.

Facts:

Cups won (most important): Marty-3 Princess-0

Vezinas: Marty-4 Princess-0

Reg. Season Wins: Marty-656 (34.52... wins avg/season; 55% win rate/gp) Princess-252 (36 wins avg/season; 53% win rate/gp)

Shutouts: Marty-119 Princess-43

Although Princess has a better win avg per season, I included Marty's rookie year (4gp, excluding that year would bring him up to 36.44... avg).

Are you really comparing career compiled numbers of one goalie who has been in the league for 19 years to another who has been in the league for 7?

Playoff performance by age 30?

Lundqvist: 25-28, 2.27 GAA, 4 SERIES wins.

Brodeur: 67-48, 1.88 GAA, 2 CUP wins, 3 Finals appearances, 14 SERIES wins.

Have a good day.

Again, not a fair argument. When Brodeur became the full-time starter he was the final piece of the puzzle. The team was built and they needed a real #1 goalie. When Lundqvist became the #1, they were coming off 7 straight play-off misses, and he was the first (guess you can say 2nd if you want to count Jagr as the start as he did put up some huge numbers) piece of the puzzle. Off the top of my head, I don't think ANYONE from Lundqvist's first 3 years are still on the team. Now, the team is finally come together and we will have to re-visit these comparisons when Lundqvist is retired. Like saying Jagr was better than Sakic because Jagr had 2 cups by his 21st bday, yet Sakic did not.

I mean not for nothing, but he didn't just play lousy last night, he played lousy on Monday as well.

Not really. Should he have prevented the rebound on the Parise shot? Probably, but goalies give up rebounds. D didn't do the job on that play by letting Parise stand there and whack at the puck. 1st goal was just a perfect (or lucky) shot that found it's way through a bunch of bodies and he didnt see the puck til it was too late. 2nd goal he had no chance on.

picked huh....more liked cracked....rattleedddddd

you should be just as worried about Marty as you claim I should be about Lundqvist. The most aggravating part of Wednesday is that Marty was clearly off and the Rangers couldn't bury some opportunities. That's hockey, but he has not looked stellar.

Are you really comparing career compiled numbers of one goalie who has been in the league for 19 years to another who has been in the league for 7?

Z-man's comparison is fairer:

Playoff performance by age 30?

Lundqvist: 25-28, 2.27 GAA, 4 SERIES wins.

Brodeur: 67-48, 1.88 GAA, 2 CUP wins, 3 Finals appearances, 14 SERIES wins.

Have a good day.

But I'll admit that back then, it was easier to keep a team together...three mainstays on D (two Hall-of-Famers), a fourth in Rafalski who was also very important...in this era it'd damned near impossible to keep all of those players around for so long.

Anyway, one player's story has pretty much been written in Brodeur (and it's a hell of a story that might have the ultimate ending), and the other one's still has a long way to go in Lundqvist. Hard to say what Lundqvist's legacy will ultimately be.

Again, not a fair argument. When Brodeur became the full-time starter he was the final piece of the puzzle. The team was built and they needed a real #1 goalie. When Lundqvist became the #1, they were coming off 7 straight play-off misses, and he was the first (guess you can say 2nd if you want to count Jagr as the start as he did put up some huge numbers) piece of the puzzle. Off the top of my head, I don't think ANYONE from Lundqvist's first 3 years are still on the team. Now, the team is finally come together and we will have to re-visit these comparisons when Lundqvist is retired. Like saying Jagr was better than Sakic because Jagr had 2 cups by his 21st bday, yet Sakic did not.

Actually, what the Devils needed more than anything else was a blueprint for success. Up until '94 they hadn't found one...this is reflected in their right-around-.500 season records, and their middle-of-the-pack GF-GA, despite having several talented players on the roster. Lou had done a great job assembling ingredients to that point, but had yet to find the right cook. He thought that man would be Herb Brooks, but he was a near-disaster as head coach of the Devils. When Lou hired Jacques Lemaire, Lemaire was able to put a system in place that finally allowed the Devils' considerable on-ice talent to mesh. Brodeur was also the perfect goalie at just the right time...Terreri was solid, but clearly nowhere near Brodeur's league.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Actually, what the Devils needed more than anyhting else was a blueprint for success. Up until '94 they hadn't found one...this is reflected in their right-around-.500 season records, and their middle-of-the-pack GF-GA, despite having several talented players on the roster. Lou had done a great job assembling ingredients to that point, but had yet to find the right cook. He thought that man would be Herb Brooks, but he was a near-disaster as head coach of the Devils. When Lou hired Jacques Lemaire, Lemaire was able to put a system in place that finally allowed the Devils' considerable on-ice talent to mesh. Brodeur was also the perfect goalie at just the right time...Terreri was solid, but clearly nowhere near Brodeur's league.

Point is, the pieces were there. Just a matter of getting it together with 94 being case of the Devils having to lose before they can win, like 92 was for the Rangers. Terreri I saw like a Sean Burke, Glen Healy type. A good goalie, a goalie capable of getting hot and raising some eye brows, but for the most part would need all the stars and planet to properly align for them to lead a team to a cup. Or, just be on a team that was ridiculously talented. Along the lines of the 80's Oilers and Islanders, or 70s Habs.

Z-man's comparison is fairer:

But I'll admit that back then, it was easier to keep a team together...three mainstays on D (two Hall-of-Famers), a fourth in Rafalski who was also very important...in this era it'd damned near impossible to keep all of those players around for so long.

Anyway, one player's story has pretty much been written in Brodeur (and it's a hell of a story that might have the ultimate ending), and the other one's still has a long way to go in Lundqvist. Hard to say what Lundqvist's legacy will ultimately be.

Plain and simple ... unless that ending includes at least 400+ more wins, 70+ more shutouts, and 3 Stanley Cups, then Henrik's legacy will always be overshadowed by Marty's.