Superstitions

DobaMB30

Back in the day, my big playoff superstitions were:

A) Had to play some hockey in the street on game day

B) Had to eat at a fried chicken place that my friend's dad owned the day of the game

C) Had to play knee hockey with a rubber ball and those mini-sticks during intermissions

D) Had to watch at my best friend's house (this was reinforced particularly strongly in Game 5, 2001 - my whole family watched there through 2 OT's, but we went back home after since it had gotten late and subsequently lost it in the 3rd. Needless to say, I stayed the fvck put for Game 6)

I've also always had a huge superstition that I can't be a dick to anyone in general during the playoffs - it started when I was a kid, where I would become terrified we would lose if I was mean to my little brother, but it's basically morphed into me trying desperately to be a good person a-la Calvin as Christmas nears in Calvin & Hobbes. It also has prevented me from ripping on Flyers and Rags fans this year, for better or for worse.

This year, my 2 biggies have been growing a playoff beard for the first time and trying to find the right Devils shirt to wear to bed the night before a game. I've cycled through 2 shirts so far, first an old 2003 Cup champs shirt and then a Chico Eats shirt when the first one lost a game. So far we're 10-1 on games where I remember to wear the shirt and 0-3 when I don't (I started this before game 6 against Florida).

Edited by CHICOEATS11

In 2000, I was in Washington. I ate Chef Boyardee every winning game lol.

In 2003, I wore the same t-shirt throughout the playoffs and never washed it. I didnt wear it for the games I attended though. We won both.

in 2012, I've not really done anything. Except the beard.

I've also always had a huge superstition that I can't be a dick to anyone in general during the playoffs - it started when I was a kid, where I would become terrified we would lose if I was mean to my little brother, but it's basically morphed into me trying desperately to be a good person a-la Calvin as Christmas nears in Calvin & Hobbes. It also has prevented me from ripping on Flyers and Rags fans this year, for better or for worse.

I try to do this one too! Though my success rate is about Calvin's.

I always hang my jersey on the wall in my room for the playoffs. It started sort of accidentally (I just bought it before the 2006 playoffs and left it hanging somewhere in the room for pure enjoyment), but it grew to be a habit I've been doing that ever since.

Apart from that, I don't shave during the playoffs (except moustache, which looks atrocious and grows about 10x faster than my beard, lol :P), but this is the first year it made ANY difference visually, really. :P It's still something "real" beard-rockers would probably wear in, like, two days, but hey, at least I try. :P

I started growing my (now) amish looking playoff beard the last game of the season.

For the Panthers series, I tried not to be superstitious, but for game one of that series I didn't wear anything Devils. They won. Game 2 of that series, I wore a Devs T-shirt, they lose. I went to game's 4 and 6. Game 4 I wore my xmas tree Marty and for game 6 I wore my Oduya. (meanwhile in all of the games I didn't go to, I stayed at home to watch the game with my dad and didn't invite any of my friends. They gathered at someone else's house and when my one friend showed up, we won. He missed each game we lost in that series, weird, eh?) So for game 7 I had the whole gang over my house to watch with me and my dad. I watched the whole regulation from the floor. For overtime, space was getting cramped, so I pulled a folding chair up next to the recliner my dad was sitting on. We ended up winning.

For the Flyers series me and my friends were going to do everything we did for game 7.. Game one, me and 2 other of my friends worked so we didn't do anything, and boom..we lost. Game's 2-5 we were at my house and my one friend (good luck charm) was forced to come. (wasn't a hockey fan, but we converted him). He showed up late for every game and every game we got scored on first but ended up winning 4 in a row.

Rags was gonna be the same thing. Game one my good luck charm friend, who was late for 4 games in a row, decided to show up on time, and we lost. Game 2, he shows late, we win. Game 3 he had surgery and I picked him up after the first period so he'd be late to keep the streak going. We lost. My conclusion was that he HAD to drive himself to my place but show up late b/c he showed up early and we lost. So he did and we ended up winning 3 in a row.

We plan on doing the same for the SCF.

As for dress... For the Flyers I wore a blue tshirt with soccer shorts for the 4 games we won. I tried to wear the same for game 1 of the rags series, we lost, so I washed that outfit for the first time since game 2 of the Flyers series. We ended up winning game 2 of the rags series so for game 3 I wore it again, but we lost. For game 4 I wore the same shorts, but with my green devs Kovy shirt (tried to mix it up). Wore it for the final 3 we won.

I'm a bit of a superstitious weirdo when it comes to playoffs. There are certain things that I do during the day of a game that I try to do for every game we won. I'd explain, but i'd need more space..lol.

LGD

Maybe i have the tow most stupid out here:

First one I never post on GDT until after the game, start doing that way back on the regular season. i even tried to start a GDT to see if the "curse" wears off didn't work they lost for the Bruins.

Second one I have to drinking during the game. But i can't drink anything with alcohol, all the game i watched home drinking beer they lost, most of the game that i attende and drunk alcohol they lost. :noclue: :noclue:

Couple seasons ago i had to wear the Swiss Team jacket for the 2008 Eurocup in order for them to win. :lol:

I'm not superstitious, I know nothing we do really matters, so I have some traditions instead.

(1) Playoff beard. One of my buddies was making fun of me during the first round because it takes me forever to grow a beard. I told him it'll be ready for the Stanley Cup Finals. It's still no Ken Daneyko beard, but it's at least respectable now. My mustache is still under construction though haha.

(2) Car flag. Every postseason I keep my car flag proudly flying over my car window. During the first round it fell off while driving to one of my men's league games and I didn't stop to get it because I had to give my goalie a ride and we were running late. It's never good when the goalie is late so I just kept driving thinking there is an outside chance of finding it on the way back. Sure enough on the way back the flag was still sitting there right in the middle of the road and was still in one piece. I have it on a different window now.

(3) Jersey. I wear the same Devils jersey for every game until they lose, then I switch to a different Devils jersey and use that until they lose.

(4) Beer. During the games that I watch at home, I make sure at least one of the beers I drink is from New Jersey, and I drink it out of my Devils glass. It almost always ends up being Exit 4 by Flying Fish (Cherry Hill). If I'm not watching the game from home and they win, then I do this when I get home. When I got home from Game 6 against the Rangers I celebrated with a Climax 15th Anniversary Barleywine (Roselle Park) that I have been aging for a year or so. It was fun busting that out in front of my Rangers fan roommate haha.

Edited by devilsfan26

(4) Beer. During the games that I watch at home, I make sure at least one of the beers I drink is from New Jersey, and I drink it out of my Devils glass. It almost always ends up being Exit 4 by Flying Fish (Cherry Hill). If I'm not watching the game from home and they win, then I do this when I get home. When I got home from Game 6 against the Rangers I celebrated with a Climax 15th Anniversary Barleywine that I have been aging for a year or so. It was fun busting that out in front of my Rangers fan roommate haha.

Nice! I was chilling at Dinosaur BBQ waiting for my brother to show up before game 4 against the Rags and decided that I HAD to have a NJ beer before the game or we would surely lose - I did, and we of course didn't. I also busted out a Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits during Game 6 against the Panthers since it's supposed to be a good luck beer......

Anyway, if I can somehow conclusively prove that me drinking good beer will help the Devils win, I think I'll make a career out of it.

Edited by CHICOEATS11

Second one I have to drinking during the game. But i can't drink anything with alcohol, all the game i watched home drinking beer they lost, most of the game that i attende and drunk alcohol they lost. :noclue: :noclue:

Would be a lot harder on ya if the Devils weren't good.

Maybe i have the tow most stupid out here:

First one I never post on GDT until after the game, start doing that way back on the regular season. i even tried to start a GDT to see if the "curse" wears off didn't work they lost for the Bruins.

Same here. I actually try to avoid this site every game day.

I'm not going to go into details, but let's just say the story about all those missing animals has nothing to do with me. I repeat: NOTHING to do with me.

Carry on.

I can't tell mine yet.... suffice to say this is my worst year EVER... I have too many going that get entirely too specific. Just because f the way things have played out -- I can;t just shrug them off and thin See BS I can resume regular routine. nope the Devils lose focus juuuuust often enough to have me believing I have t keep doing the sh!t I'm doing SPECIFICALLY. :rant:

I'm not going to go into details, but let's just say the story about all those missing animals has nothing to do with me. I repeat: NOTHING to do with me.

Carry on.

HOLY CRAP -- I have to re-direct the whole investigation now. I could have sworn... well..

back to the drawing board :urg:

I'm not really superstitious but...

Thus far every time I don't wear Devils Apparel w/ my blood red lipstick we've lost (so I made sure to wear them the last three games) and BAM we won.Also when ever I watch the games with my cousins we've won but I also bring a six pack of Sam Adams and a small Keg of Heineken. lol

I wear my home Kovy jersey with a Gaslight Anthem T-Shirt under it (there are a few that I cycle through, but they all count). I ordered the jersey back in March but it took forever and didn't show up until the day of game 7 vs the Panthers. 9-2 in games where I wear it (was unable to for game 3 vs NYR. Sorry guys.)

Also, ever since we lost game 1 to the Flyers, I shave prior to every game (sort of a reverse playoff beard).

Edited by pleasepassthesoup

I have a pair of black flip flops that I now refuse to change until the playoffs are over. I went to game 3 against Florida and changed into a pink Disney pair. I was afraid the black ones would fall apart and didn't want to walk in Manhattan barefoot. After seeing the results, the black ones don't leave my feet. There is a imprint of my toes in the rubber.

Nice! I was chilling at Dinosaur BBQ waiting for my brother to show up before game 4 against the Rags and decided that I HAD to have a NJ beer before the game or we would surely lose - I did, and we of course didn't. I also busted out a Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits during Game 6 against the Panthers since it's supposed to be a good luck beer......

Anyway, if I can somehow conclusively prove that me drinking good beer will help the Devils win, I think I'll make a career out of it.

Haha cool. What NJ beer did you have? And how is that Dinosaur place? I've been meaning to check it out.

I chain smoke and scream at the TV so loud you can hear me before you even get inside my house.....oh wait, I do that every game, lol.

I also refuse to make plans to do anything Devils related when it pertains to a game that isn't guaranteed to happen. I won't say anything like "oh, we should go to a game next round", things like that. Don't want to put the hex on by saying something like that.

Edited by ATLL765

My supersitions have been lucky so far every game they won when I did my them. For the flyers series I grilled before every game and wore my Elias jersey. The Rangers series I made chicken bites and sweet potato fries and wore my Pandolfo jersey. Every series I always shower between the 1 and 2 period and had my beer jersey on my beer. My girlfriend has also played along.

Not sure what am going to do for the finals. Probably go back to grilling.

Showering with the girlfriend between the 1st and 2nd periods? I like that one, will run it by the Mrs :) lol

Showering with the girlfriend between the 1st and 2nd periods? I like that one, will run it by the Mrs :) lol

Nah. Not worth it. I've had girlfriends that have tried to distract me during games and every time it just ends with, "Why are you still watching the TV?", and me saying, "Because hockey is more important". Several days of anger always follows.

Nah. Not worth it. I've had girlfriends that have tried to distract me during games and every time it just ends with, "Why are you still watching the TV?", and me saying, "Because hockey is more important". Several days of anger always follows.

That's a really awful answer lol. What you do is say, as soon as the game is over, I'm all yours and will do whatever you ask, just let me watch this now.

That's a really awful answer lol. What you do is say, as soon as the game is over, I'm all yours and will do whatever you ask, just let me watch this now.

Yes, yes it is, but I look at it this way: Girlfriends come and go, mostly go, but either way, the point is the Devils can't dump me and I could never betray my loyalty to the team.