Why I'm not Bothered if We Lose the SCF

CarpathianForest

If we lose the SCF I'll be disappointed but only for like 5 minutes. This is a great club that's only been in NJ for 30 years and has had a butt-ton of success. If you look at the past 30 years the Devils have won the most Stanley Cups behind Edmonton and Detroit. The Devils are also tied with the Red Wings for most cup appearances in the past 30 years. Our club is actually sitting a lost better historically than many other teams. Buffalo(SCF 0-2), Vancouver SCF(0-3), Rags(1 cup appearance in the past 30 years), Capitals (0-1), Sharks, Maple Leafs(Last cup win and appearance 1967). I mean look at LA even. They've been around for 45 years yet this is only their second Stanley Cup Final appearance. So while losing would be a disappointment, being 3 for 5 in the Stanley Cup is nothing to scoff at. I'll be okay raising an Eastern Conference Champions banner in the Rock.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I see nothing wrong with this mindset. I guess the timing is what people are up in arms about.

Having been a fan of the team back in their 12- and 13-win seasons, all I ever asked for as a fan was to see the Devils win the Cup once. If I got that, I'd die a happy man.

Well, three Cups later, there's a lot of icing on that cake.

I love cake. And I love icing. But if I don't get that 4th slice of cake (I hope somebody has a huge glass of milk handy), so be it.

Not that I wouldn't want that fourth slice, mind you...

...preferably a corner piece.

I think it's premature, but I get what you're saying Carp. I'm just enjoying every moment of this series win or lose. I am 100% proud of this team no matter what happens the next week or 2.

Same thoughts here.

We also didn't get destroyed last night. We lost in friggin OT. I remember for many years that going to OT for the Devils spelled certain doom, and now we are 4-2 this year and I think that's pretty damn good. We win the next game and we are now playing a best of 5 series and put serious doubt in the minds of the Kings (I think we did this in last night's game too). I trust PDB will make whatever adjustments he can make and the players know what they are playing for.

If they give it their all, really pay the price to win and somehow fall short, then they can hold their heads high and so will I. I'm not 100% sure they did that last night, but we gave a headstart to the Flyers and Rugs as well and that worked out fine. Bottom line is this: This is Team and it has been since '86. I was proud of them last year for the effort and heart they showed down the stretch, and I sure as sh!t am proud of them now.

[forrest_gump] And that's all I have to say about that [/forrest_gump]

Edited by jim777
  • Like 1

If they give it their all, really pay the price to win and somehow fall short, then they can hold their heads high and so will I. I'm not 100% sure they did that last night, but we gave a headstart to the Flyers and Rugs as well and that worked out fine. Bottom line is this: This is Team and it has been since '86. I was proud of them last year for the effort and heart they showed down the stretch, and I sure as sh!t am proud of them now.

[forrest_gump] And that's all I have to say about that [/forrest_gump]

THIS, although it will piss me off to no end if some rival fan brings it up to troll

I love this team. I'll be proud of them if they lose. But fvck this mentally healthy, accepting sh!t. We haven't been this far in 9 years. God knows when we'll be back. I'm gonna be fvcking devastated if we lose, and I don't want to hear about the silver lining. Sports aren't real life, nor are they sane. Really, none of us should ever give a sh!t about a bunch of rich strangers playing a game, but we do, and I'm not going to half ass my irrational love for them.

• Like 1

I love this team. I'll be proud of them if they lose. But fvck this mentally healthy, accepting sh!t. We haven't been this far in 9 years. God knows when we'll be back. I'm gonna be fvcking devastated if we lose, and I don't want to hear about the silver lining. Sports aren't real life, nor are they sane. Really, none of us should ever give a sh!t about a bunch of rich strangers playing a game, but we do, and I'm not going to half ass my irrational love for them.

potd

I won't like I'll be disappointed and sad if we don't win... last night when Kopitar scored I threw my hat and didn't want to talk to anyone for five minutes... but I would honestly get over it relatively quickly. I'm very very proud of our team. I want us to win it all and at this present moment I can't be happy with losing. I will accepted 2nd place at the end if that's how it goes down... but while it is possible to be the champs... I want it.

FOR THE WIN! Great post...

My thoughts exactly. A loss in this series we hurt me exponentially more than the 2001 loss because we were coming off a Cup winning season, and we had one our first 6 years before that. While it was devastating to me at the time, and still is....this one would hurt even more. There is no explaining our connection to the team, and that is what makes us hardcore "fans". Here's to hoping they gut out a win on Saturday and send this to LA all tied up!

I love Mouse's version of events. Who knows when we make it back if ever? I want it all.

EXACTLY. It was easy for us as fans to take these deep runs for granted, because...we did it all the time! But guess what fellas? Marty legend is on the way out, and we do not have those 2 HOF'ers patrolling the blueline any longer. When you get to the Finals you have to make the most of it. Especially when our path to the finals included knocking out or 2 biggest rivals in back to back series!! LET'S GO DEVILS!!! On a side note...I truly believe this run has cemented Zach's return. If the Devils offer is in the general ballpark of other teams and he does not return...I will lose ALL respect for him...

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!

...I'd hate it and it would suck...

As rational as everything else was in my post, this sums up how I will feel if LA wins. I won't be feeling the slighest bit rational...I will be angry and sad. I root for the whole team of course, but for me this one's about Marty...I really want to see him have an opportunity to go out a winner, even if he insists on coming back next season should the Devils win it. Four cups is just awesome. Anything can happen, but if Marty's the primary goalie next season it just seems like a stretch that they will get there again next season...it feels like he's squeezing every last bit of whatever youth he has left in his 40-year-old body in these playoffs. What will he have left next year?

One falsehood I think that has to get thrown out the door is the "stepping stone" theory, that getting to a certain round in the playoffs is a step towards bigger things. With the NHL the way it is, with so many teams bunched in about the same area talent-wise, you never know if you're going back to a SCF anytime soon. Like I said, with another worthy team trying to win THEMSELVES the Cup, I can't kill the Devils if they don't get it done...but man I'll be bummed...

As rational as everything else was in my post, this sums up how I will feel if LA wins. I won't be feeling the slighest bit rational...I will be angry and sad. I root for the whole team of course, but for me this one's about Marty...I really want to see him have an opportunity to go out a winner, even if he insists on coming back next season should the Devils win it. Four cups is just awesome. Anything can happen, but if Marty's the primary goalie next season it just seems like a stretch that they will get there again next season...it feels like he's squeezing every last bit of whatever youth he has left in his 40-year-old body in these playoffs. What will he have left next year?

One falsehood I think that has to get thrown out the door is the "stepping stone" theory, that getting to a certain round in the playoffs is a step towards bigger things. With the NHL the way it is, with so many teams bunched in about the same area talent-wise, you never know if you're going back to a SCF anytime soon. Like I said, with another worthy team trying to win THEMSELVES the Cup, I can't kill the Devils if they don't get it done...but man I'll be bummed...

This cup would be about Marty going out on top. I think someone should let him know.

I agree with that last paragraph especially. There was a definite amount of luck and fortune that got the Devils (and any finals team) this far, and the assumption that it will happen again, even with the exact same group of players, is just wrong. These opportunities are so rare, and I really hope the Devils bring it home. It'd be the perfect end for Marty and maybe Lou.

That's why I think this thread is just mis-timed. I agree with it, but right now it's not where my head is.

Sure I'll be bummed. But the next morning I'll get up, walk my dog, watch some tv and enjoy my time off. Then when school rolls around I'll hang a new Devils poster or banner in my classroom.

You just gotta keep L-I-V-I-N'

Well if any of us can't keep living after any kind of season ends, that person needs to take a step back. Yes, I realize that we're all just about insane in the first place; we all take pleasure in watching two teams of grown men use sticks to push a small cylinder of rubber across ice and attempt to put it through a three-sided structure of iron. It's absurd, but fun, and if people forget that the main purpose of this is entertainment, then it's time for them take a break.

Edited by Devils Dose
  • Like 1

Just being in the SCF IS NOT good enough. I hate that mentality. I'd be extremely upset if we lose. We beat 2 of our biggest rivals, both of whom could have/should have swept us or won in 5. I'm sure most of our fanbase talked a load of sh!t (especially towards the Rags and their fans; I know I did). To lose to the Kings, which is a possibility after last night, would upset me dearly.

+1. Just look at Boston. They win the Cup last year, arguably get BETTER, and are out in the first round. Parity's great for excitement, but makes losing when you get deep that much more brutal.

I believe that the last two teams we beat are superior to the one we are playing right now... To lose to this team would be heartbreaking.

I'm not mailing it in after one bad game either... The Devils beat themselves yesterday more than the Kings won. That isn't going to happen again. They will win this series. fvck this thread! This bullsh!t is why I only come around once in a while...

One falsehood I think that has to get thrown out the door is the "stepping stone" theory, that getting to a certain round in the playoffs is a step towards bigger things.

Couldn't agree more. If anything going deep into the playoffs makes returning there even harder next year as players get worn out from the brutal 100 game season. If the Devils lose it will be a huge missed opportunity.

In any case the OP's attitude is not a bad one after your team loses the series. Bringing it up now after losing a game though is ridiculous and defeatist. I really hope none of the players in the Devils locker room are thinking like this right now.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman