Bench Kovalchuk

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

92 members have voted

1. 1. Bench Kovalchuk?

only part I dont get is this "being hurt" .. all I see is a typical Russian forward, its like with OV late playoffs, the more he sat the better the club did .. lol

sorry sounds to me like a big excuse.. if hes hurt but willing to play is one thing, if hes hurt why the f^ck is he playing full 2 minutes on the PP

How can you not see he is hurt? He can barely move, his back is looks royally screwed up. If you've ever hurt your back then you know every movement you make reverberates through your back. You can see him grimacing on the bench and trying to stretch things out at different times.

Sorry, sounds to me like you're looking for an easy stereotyping of all Russian players instead of looking with your eyes. Kovalchuk is being a warrior playing through this, I think it's a joke that people then make light of it.

How can you not see he is hurt? He can barely move, his back is looks royally screwed up. If you've ever hurt your back then you know every movement you make reverberates through your back. You can see him grimacing on the bench and trying to stretch things out at different times.

Sorry, sounds to me like you're looking for an easy stereotyping of all Russian players instead of looking with your eyes. Kovalchuk is being a warrior playing through this, I think it's a joke that people then make light of it.

I'll try to pay more attention to it, how can someone hurt be playing 20:23 total minutes last night?? (3rd most) and full PP minutes.. that I dont get.

Edited by DobaMB30

I'll try to pay more attention to it, how can someone hurt be playing 20:23 total minutes last night?? (3rd most) and full PP minutes.. that I dont get.

The coach keeps telling him to go out and play. If a guy with one leg is told to play 30 minutes by the coach, it doesn't mean the guy had two legs.

Kovy's success, and problem here, is that he can win a game for you with just 1 or 2 good plays that nobody else can make. So DeBoer keeps throwing him out there, gambling that the majority of the time where his injury is making Kovy a negative factor will be more than balanced out by him making 1 big shot for a goal or threading one pass through 3 defenders. DeBoer may be right, he may be wrong, but that's the gamble.

DeBoer may be right, he may be wrong, but that's the gamble.

That's a good way to put it. But the Devils have had about 20 PPs. Off my memory, I'd say maybe 5 of them were decent and generated quality chances, the rest were wash outs with a few even resulting only in quality short handed chances for the Kings. They have scored zero goals on these PPs as well, a very disturbing stat. I think the evidence is there that it's time to switch it up.

We've won without him. I'd take 5 skaters moving at speed than 4 with 1 moving at half because it drags the unit down.

If we lose, it's easier to stomach it if they put their able-bodied TEAM (because it isn't all about one player) out there, than to say they put one injured player out there and have to second-guess whether that poor decision caused the loss, or even use it to make excuses.

I think we have enough depth to make a change.

At this point I'm starting to buy into the mentality of just throw two defensemen out there and play the PP like a 5-on-5 offense. I mean we only have two legit pointmen and both are compromised due to injury anyway. We're 0-14 on the PP against a formidable Kings' PK. Throwing out two defensemen and playing our normal cycle offense down low might just yield some dividends. Can't hurt. If Kovy and Zidlicky weren't both hurt that'd be something else but at this point might as well gifve up on the 'conventional' PP.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

only part I dont get is this "being hurt" .. all I see is a typical Russian forward, its like with OV late playoffs, the more he sat the better the club did .. lol

You can question his play all you want, but not his toughness. He's been a warrior since he got here, moreso this year than ever. He played ridiculous minutes early in the year, he gets up every time he gets hit, and he's never complained even though he can barely fvcking skate. Maybe he needs to play fewer minutes, but it's a testament to his toughness that he's playing what the coaches tell him.

Also, I'm sick of the Russian stereotype. Ovie is a tough player who throws the body. He was out of shape this year, but so was Dustin Penner, and I've never heard him called a soft Canadian. The racial generalizations make it impossible to have an intelligent discussion. If Kovy wasn't Russian, his toughness wouldn't be called into question and we could talk about real issues, like does his current skillset benefit the team, or is his lack of mobility too much of a liability.

Double post

Edited by mouse
  • Like 1

Maybe he needs a few more shots or whatever they are giving him to keep him going, but you don't bench Kovy. He has the heart of a lion, and he's as much a Devil now as ANYONE who has worn the colors.

Kovy can't skate, but he still shoots and and gets pucks to the net, moreso than any other player on the team.

Which they need. The best way to beat Quick seems to be scrambles and rebounds, and you need shots on net for those to happen. I'd like to see them use Kovy better -- let him shoot faster and handle the puck less to minimize his skating, have somebody like Clarkson or Parise crashing as soon as he gets the puck -- but he still has 1 valuable tool left.

I'd rather see Harrold come in and do his Kovalchuk impression again. They guy is clearly hurt, and I admire his toughness to play through pain. But I think the team is better off with him out of the lineup. The Power Play is just an absolute train wreck with him in there.

Agree 100%

I screamed for him to be benched after the first game against Philly. Since that game, excluding the SCF, he's the main reason we're still playing hockey.

He's got 19 points in the playoffs. "Typical russian player", such a sh!t thing to say. He's probably exhausted and almost definitely hurt, let's see how he responds after two days off.

He is obviously hurt (I hope). But he isn't playing good at all this series.

You can question his play all you want, but not his toughness. He's been a warrior since he got here, moreso this year than ever. He played ridiculous minutes early in the year, he gets up every time he gets hit, and he's never complained even though he can barely fvcking skate. Maybe he needs to play fewer minutes, but it's a testament to his toughness that he's playing what the coaches tell him.

Also, I'm sick of the Russian stereotype. Ovie is a tough player who throws the body. He was out of shape this year, but so was Dustin Penner, and I've never heard him called a soft Canadian. The racial generalizations make it impossible to have an intelligent discussion. If Kovy wasn't Russian, his toughness wouldn't be called into question and we could talk about real issues, like does his current skillset benefit the team, or is his lack of mobility too much of a liability.

+1

We have noone else even remotely close to Kovys shooting and passing ability, even now that he is clearly hurt. The question is whether his injury makes him so much of a defensive liability that it's not worth the gamble. Considering we are playing game 6 of the SCF and he is the league leader in playoff points, I'd say the answer pretty much gives itself.

was the herniated disk thing just a rumor?

by the way herniated disks are weird -- they aren't the same for all people.

Like an ACL injury -- my sister in law blew hers out skiing and she can do nothing now nothing that involved impact on her knee. She had the whole surgery and all that. Other friend INSANE expert skier - he has no ACLs - blew them both out never had surgery just found it didn't really make much of a different to him.

My sister has 2 or three herniated disks. We have no idea for how long and some days she's bad sometimes she can go years with nothing... never had surgery -- she lives with it and false ups now and then.

Edited by Pepperkorn

was the herniated disk thing just a rumor?

Rich Chere has said it, but nobody else has had it.

It looks reasonable based on how Kovy acts on the ice, but Chere didn't say where he got the info from so I don't know if he had a source or was guessing based on how it looks.