Quicksand

PhillyDev

Is the problem Quick is too good this year, or the Devils are not good enough? I do not know because the Devils are doing everything it takes to lose to Quick. You have got to smack 45 or more pucks at Quick. You are not going to beat Quick and his phenomenal speed and lower-leg strength by flicking 20 routine saves at this kid. The Devils must stop giving the Kings long stretch passes and allowing them to set up plays on their terms. You have got to relentlessly forecheck and force the Kings to make mistakes. The D has to take the slot away. Marty has to dig down deep and play the best hockey of his career. He cannot allow a soft goal against Quick because these are all low-scoring games and one goal is all it could take to win. Not to mention Quick is having a breakout year and rewriting playoff history, and chances are slim he is going to turn into human Swiss cheese in these last few games. You have got to bump Quick to frustrate him and throw him off his game. And you have got to shoot the puck directly along the ice to create rebounds and use screens to deflect pucks past Quick.

You beat Quick on rebounds, deflections, and pinpoint-precise shots right under the crossbar and right inside the posts. If the Devils did that since Game 1, I am very confident this series would have been a lot more even. The Devils have to hit those empty nets. Those are the differences between winning and losing. So, are the Devils done? No, but each Devil is going to have to bring his AAA game from here on. They cannot take stupid penalties and the PP has got to get it done. If all this happens for three more games, and it's a big "if," the Devils tie this thing 3-3 and then win it 4-3 in seven games. You are supposed to give it your all every minute you are on the ice, season or playoffs. This is the Stanley Cup Final, and any team that does not know that does not deserve to win the Cup. I am grossly disappointed in the Devils' organization for not wanting it badly enough. It seems they are content with their three Cups in 1995, 2000 and 2003.

Edited by PhillyDev

What's with you, Jim777, always calling me a troll? Do you walk down the street, point at every person you see, and scream troll!? All I'm doing is sharing the keys to success against Quick and his Kings. Some of us actually like winning, guy.

What's with you, Jim777, always calling me a troll? Do you walk down the street, point at every person you see, and scream troll!? All I'm doing is sharing the keys to success against Quick and his Kings. Some of us actually like winning, guy.

So thankful someone somewhere found the "keys to success". Please call Debo right away and Lou they NEED this insight.

"The internet - making kids think they are NHL coaches for 15 years and running" :boogie:

He's not your guy, buddy! :giggle:

No but seriously your signature is an ad for your business which is kind of lame. 100$ an hour is a little much imo.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

So thankful someone somewhere found the "keys to success". Please call Debo right away and Lou they NEED this insight.

"The internet - making kids think they are NHL coaches for 15 years and running" :boogie:

The players, not coaches, need this insight. And they really do. That's why the Devs are down 1-3. Duh!

Jim's just speaking for the rest of us. But so you don't blame him, I'll call you a troll too. Troll.

He's not your guy, buddy! :giggle:

No but seriously your signature is an ad for your business which is kind of lame. 100$ an hour is a little much imo.

Actually, $100 is very cheap, especially when you're the best in the business. Usually, my prices are double that, but I'm doing my part in this Republican-ruined economy and cutting people a break.

Did you hear the story about the angry Devils fan who didn't look at the first 3 rounds for NJ in the east and against Quick in the West before posting about the Devils stinking?

I don't care about the past. My focus is on Game 5 and whether or not the Devs listen. Marty's the only reason they're still alive.

Thanks for your the post, but the reason you're getting such vitriol is your prescription for the Devils is basically what the Devils are doing. The problem is the Kings are trying to stop the Devils from doing this. Getting 45 shots on goal is not a trivial matter for example. There is just simply more going on.

With regard to the Kings' stretch passes, I think it's overstated how effectively the Kings are handling the Devils' forecheck. For example, the GWG in game 4 was off a neutral zone turnover. Also it's not like the Kings are getting a lot of odd man rushes from their incredible passing through the neutral zone. The Kings are just much better at handling the Devils' forecheck than other teams have been. I'm not sure there's anything the Devils can do about it without putting players horribly out of position and creating greater problems. Just continue to make it as difficult as you can for the Kings.

Thanks for your the post, but the reason you're getting such vitriol is your prescription for the Devils is basically what the Devils are doing. The problem is the Kings are trying to stop the Devils from doing this. Getting 45 shots on goal is not a trivial matter for example. There is just simply more going on.

You're joking, right? The Devils didn't start doing what I said until Game 4, and oh look...a win. No, really? I thought the Kings were just going to sit down and take it. Silly me. Getting 45 or more shots on goal is the only way the Devils are going to pull off an upset. Quick is consistently great. Yeah, the Devs got a win with 20-something shots, but let them try it again and watch Quick post another shutout and go, "Haha! Foolish Devils. You're no match for me." *Lifts Cup while laughing.*

With regard to the Kings' stretch passes, I think it's overstated how effectively the Kings are handling the Devils' forecheck. For example, the GWG in game 4 was off a neutral zone turnover. Also it's not like the Kings are getting a lot of odd man rushes from their incredible passing through the neutral zone. The Kings are just much better at handling the Devils' forecheck than other teams have been. I'm not sure there's anything the Devils can do about it without putting players horribly out of position and creating greater problems. Just continue to make it as difficult as you can for the Kings.

The bulk of the Kings' goals were scored because the Devils' D gave them too much time to shoot. They sit back on their heels in their zone and allow the Kings to set up quality scoring chances. The D has got to step up and take that away. If you give any NHL player good looks at the net, eventually he's going to score, even on Brodeur, the greatest goalie. The forecheck isn't the primary problem; the passive D is.

Edited by PhillyDev

Actually, $100 is very cheap, especially when you're the best in the business. Usually, my prices are double that, but I'm doing my part in this Republican-ruined economy and cutting people a break.

Gee and now you bring politics into it from some reason. yawn.

This is why I haven't flown off the handle or even come close to being upset at the devils this series. They really are trying and working their asses off in this and like others have said we were only a couple of bounces and posts away from this series being 3-1 devils.

• Like 1

If 2 of our post doinkers in games 1 and 2 go in, it's 3-1 Devils coming back to the Rock. Yeah, if my bicycle had an extra wheel it'd be my tricycle, but still. Every game (regardless of game 3's score) has been close, we've competed with this "unbeatable" team, and we were unfortunate enough to face the hottest playoff team in the last 30 years of the sport. Quick is a feckin wall right now. If you don't think the Devils are trying, you're just a moron.

And yes, PhillyDev, I am looking at you.

Missed you, darth

Not wanting it enough? Seriously? You're acting like we got blown out in all 3 loses. Games 1 and 2 we lost in ot. Those games could have easily went our way but they didn't.

You don't wait until Game 4 of the SCF to start playing. Games 1 through 3 the Devs shot low on Quick, and he just ate the puck up. We lost in OT twice because the Devs didn't know how to solve Quick. Quick kept making easy saves until his team blew one by Marty. We probably could've won one of those games if the Devs would've done their homework BEFORE the series.

You don't wait until Game 4 of the SCF to start playing. Games 1 through 3 the Devs shot low on Quick, and he just ate the puck up. We lost in OT twice because the Devs didn't know how to solve Quick. Quick kept making easy saves until his team blew one by Marty. We probably could've won one of those games if the Devs would've done their homework BEFORE the series.

There was that pesky Rangers series going on. They didn't do a terrible job adjusting -- some of their high shots happened to miss. The Queens are playing good defense. Give some credit where it's due rather than insulting the team you claim to root for. Somebody has to lose every game, and since the playoffs started, that team has usually been whomever the Queens are playing. Devils didn't "start playing" Thursday. They could have won any of the first 3 games. A combination of bad puck luck and good play by the other team contributes much more to being down 3-0 (now 3-1) than the Devils fvcking up.

If 2 of our post doinkers in games 1 and 2 go in, it's 3-1 Devils coming back to the Rock. Yeah, if my bicycle had an extra wheel it'd be my tricycle, but still. Every game (regardless of game 3's score) has been close, we've competed with this "unbeatable" team, and we were unfortunate enough to face the hottest playoff team in the last 30 years of the sport. Quick is a feckin wall right now. If you don't think the Devils are trying, you're just a moron.

And yes, PhillyDev, I am looking at you.

And don't forget the empty net Fayne missed. You're right. If that happened, we'd be in the driver's seat, but it didn't. What if and what is are two totally different things. I don't fault guys for hitting iron. But you can bet I'm gonna raise hell when the Devils' coaches and players don't prepare for the SCF until Game 4. Marty, you're exempt from this rant. Quick and the Kings aren't as good as the Devils made them look. If the Devs get 45 or more shots on Quick and use plenty of rebounds and deflections, they'll win the next game and Quick's wall will crumble. Then all the Devs have to do is rinse and repeat twice more, and that Cup is ours.

Who cares? Devils in 7. Just win one game.

I care, because Marty has been standing on his head all series, while his teammates are on vacation. If Marty allows just one soft goal, the Kings could win. Marty only stops pucks. He can't skate down the ice and score goals, too. He needs a little offensive support. I want him to win his fourth Cup. He's such a nice and talented guy. I met him at a book signing. I don't see him retiring for another 10 years or more. He's in great shape and loves to play. I want him to keep breaking records and win 10 Cups.

I care, because Marty has been standing on his head all series, while his teammates are on vacation. If Marty allows just one soft goal, the Kings could win. Marty only stops pucks. He can't skate down the ice and score goals, too. He needs a little offensive support. I want him to win his fourth Cup. He's such a nice and talented guy. I met him at a book signing. I don't see him retiring for another 10 years or more. He's in great shape and loves to play. I want him to keep breaking records and win 10 Cups.

Dude, three of the four games have been coin flips. The players are hustling. Kovalchuk got crushed early on the forecheck, a hit that I thought would take him out, yet was seen on the next shift finishing checks in deep.

Look at the first goal on Wednesday. Elias, Sykora and Zubrus cycled the puck and won a ton of battles and eventually got rewarded with a goal. Puck luck is starting to turn. When teams are matched this evenly and playing this good whoever is getting the bounces is going to win.

Again, I reiterate some ignorant kid at a computer thinks he's got the "key insight" that guys that have been playing "world-stage" hockey almost every day of their lives, since they were sipping milk, along with people that have coached and strategized the games for years.... simply have not thought of yet? :giggle:

Yet he somehow sees what few else do from his TV screen.

When will some folks learn that the theater of NHL hockey is far more complex than the simplicities we see.

Although I love talking shop here ..... sometimes I long for the days before the internet.

Edited by DevilinLA