LA Kings "Fans"

Zubie#8

As I was walking out of the Prudential Center I encountered a big group of Kings fans, about 5 or 6 of them. I asked all of them just a simple question. I asked why did the Kings get rid of their purple and black jerseys early this year and only use the black and silver jerseys. (The Kings got rid of them early this season). I asked this because I always loved the black and purple jersey.

...and their answer was, "whats wrong with purple, you guys wear red why cant the kings wear purple, I love our jerseys and the black and purple jersey is awesome."

I then told them, "you know the Kings got rid of the jerseys early on this season...you guys don't even know that? I know more about your team then you do."

Their response was..."why cant we wear purple, we wore it all year".

So these "passionate fans" did not even know their team got rid of their main jersey. :doh1:

Biggest bandwagon fanbase I have ever encountered. These people do not even know what hockey is, and unfortunately a lot of them showed up at that game.

Edited by Zubie#8

I had a Kings fan next to me, he was pretty cool. He said he lives around here but moved here from LA four years ago. He was very respectful and knowledgeable about the game. I ran into a few teenage/early 20s Kings fans dressed up in king costumes on the way to my car and the one kid walked up to me and said, "Yo gimme this," grabbed my "WE BELIEVE" sign, and tried to pull it out of my hands. Eventually he gave up after one of his buddies calmed him down.

I had a Kings fan next to me, he was pretty cool. He said he lives around here but moved here from LA four years ago. He was very respectful and knowledgeable about the game. I ran into a few teenage/early 20s Kings fans dressed up in king costumes on the way to my car and the one kid walked up to me and said, "Yo gimme this," grabbed my "WE BELIEVE" sign, and tried to pull it out of my hands. Eventually he gave up after one of his buddies calmed him down.

I ran into those clowns as well. Of course theres many knowledgeable and respectful Kings fans but my god I have never encountered these many clueless bandwagoneers before. Maybe I was just unlucky because I ran into every knucklehead on the way out.

Edited by Zubie#8

wowww sounds like that kid is lucky he didnt catch an elbow

The purples are still around as the third jersey. The Kings wore them 8 times this season, most recently on 2/16 vs. Phoenix.

Now thats the type of answer I was hoping to get. They had no idea what I was talking about. I love the black and purple jersey, the black and silver has no character. I guess their 4th jersey is the lakers colors which is just brutal.

Edited by Zubie#8

As I was walking out of the Prudential Center I encountered a big group of Kings fans, about 5 or 6 of them. I asked all of them just a simple question. I asked why did the Kings get rid of their purple and black jerseys early this year and only use the black and silver jerseys. (The Kings got rid of them early this season). I asked this because I always loved the black and purple jersey.

...and their answer was, "whats wrong with purple, you guys wear red why cant the kings wear purple, I love our jerseys and the black and purple jersey is awesome."

I then told them, "you know the Kings got rid of the jerseys early on this season...you guys don't even know that? I know more about your team then you do."

Their response was..."why cant we wear purple, we wore it all year".

So these "passionate fans" did not even know their team got rid of their main jersey. :doh1:

Biggest bandwagon fanbase I have ever encountered. These people do not even know what hockey is, and unfortunately a lot of them showed up at that game.

And yes, the 10-15 NJ fans you MIGHT find at the Staples Center are entirely representative of the Devils fanbase as well.

Tell me, does anyone think 2000 -2003 created any kind of bandwagon in NJ?

Don't get me wrong, I bleed red and black through and through - and I get the rivalry - but think before you make a stupid generalization like this. :boogie:

There are a lot more Kings fans at the Rock then I would have imagined. Overall they are a just happy to be there bunch. For many, they are long suffering fans. For some, this hockey thing has been a fun couple of months.

Now thats the type of answer I was hoping to get. They had no idea what I was talking about. I love the black and purple jersey, the black and silver has no character. I guess their 4th jersey is the lakers colors which is just brutal.

I actually prefer their original colors - before they went LA Raider. My wife has been a Kings fans since the 70s and still has her jersey with the crown from those days. It looks pretty cool.

I talked to a young couple very briefly. Both had shirts (not jerseys) on so I asked "did you fly here from LA to see the game?" the guy said "no." so I left it at that and walked away. Idk maybe they moved here but thry are probably just bandwagoners.

Three people near me last night were Kings fans, they claimed they drove nine hours lol. Clearly it wasn't from LA, since I remember an eleven-hour drive from Chicago (about a third of the distance to LA). They left after the first period though, who knows where they went.

And yes, the 10-15 NJ fans you MIGHT find at the Staples Center are entirely representative of the Devils fanbase as well.

Tell me, does anyone think 2000 -2003 created any kind of bandwagon in NJ?

Don't get me wrong, I bleed red and black through and through - and I get the rivalry - but think before you make a stupid generalization like this. :boogie:

Their own newscasts show how big of a bandwagon it is, come on now. Anze Kopidor and Brad Doty lmao.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I talked to a young couple very briefly. Both had shirts (not jerseys) on so I asked "did you fly here from LA to see the game?" the guy said "no." so I left it at that and walked away. Idk maybe they moved here but thry are probably just Ranger fans.

Fixed. I also saw two Flyer fans in Carter and Richards jerseys on line to get in before the game. I had to laugh at how pathetic it has to be to hitch yourself to another team and go to their road game just to see a Stanley Cup Finals game. I also saw those four douchebag butthurt King fans outside the parking garage trying to start sh!t with everyone and I had about a million lines for them but decided to keep my mouth shut because they didn't deserve any more attention.

I ran into a shocking number of Kings fans from Canada, which about fits the nine hour drive description (seems about right for a drive from the Toronto area) and may help explain why there were so many Kings fans there, since coming down from Canada for a SCF game is probably easier than coming from LA. Everyone I ran into were pretty cool in my book - the only douchebag I had to deal with all night was a Devils fan.

Sat next to 2 Kings' fans who flew in from LA. Long time suffering fans who knew the sport very well. They even bought game 7 tickets, just in case, and have gone into debt just to get out here to see this. Really felt for them as you can just watch the agony unfold as the game went on. Makes you realize how damn lucky we are to root for a team that has been to the promised land multiple times. Just when the agony hits epic proportions by missing the playoffs and throwing doubt that we'll ever be substantial again, gives us an incredible run like this. Damn I love this team...and glad they've rewarded our loyalty with multiple banners hanging from our rafters. We ARE a fortunate bunch, let's never forget that.

• Like 2

From Canada? Maybe they started rooting for the Kings when Gretzky was there, who knows.

The original King's owner was Jack Kent Cooke - a Canadian- he also built the Forum. A lot of the original King's fans were Canadian. So, not sure if they got the bug for the Kings from their parents or other relatives, but there may be a connection there - or not.

I grew up in SoCal, but not LA, SD, so I could never root for the Kings!

I was a bandwagon fan at one time. I got hooked on this team watching them march to the Cup in 2000.

I guess it's fair to say I and others my age were all bandwagon fans at one time? I grew up in E Rutherford on Patterson Plank rd. I played hockey as a young kid 7 until about 16 yrs of age at the time I could not stand the Rangers not sure why but to be honest probably because someone I did not like in school was a Rager fan so I chose the Islanders until 1982 I then switched to NJ Devils because they were my team. New Jersey had just brought a hockey team to my hometown it was great. I remember yrs later getting tickets going to almost every game after work for 12$ behind the scoreboards in Brendan Byrne arena then moving down to empty corporate seats at the end of the 1st period. I was officially a Die hard NJ Devils fan. I never felt that way with the Islanders it was hard to get to games and I was younger so I guess I was a bandwagon fan. But never felt that wat with NJ they were my team, and always will be no matter were I live! I started playing hockey again at about 25 in adult leagues in Monsey Ny Sport O Rama i took so much crap for being a Devils fan it was not popular, with our Christmas Tree Jerseys Gretzky calling us a Micky mouse organization ( they even sold tee shirts of Mickey punching Wayne lol... Walking through the cow tunnel at the areana parking lot after playoff games chanting Let's Go Devils!

Great times and Memories.

So LET'S GO DEVILS!!!!!