• Adam Oates - Keep 'Em
    • Adam Oates - Dump 'Em
    • Larry Robinson - Keep 'Em
    • Larry Robinson - Dump 'Em
    • Lou Lamoriello - Keep 'Em
    • Lou Lamoriello - Dump 'Em
    • Jeff Vanderbeek - Keep 'Em
    • Jeff Vanderbeek - Dump 'Em

The NY Daily News runs a poll immediately after a NY sports team season ends called Keep 'Em or Dump 'Em. Usually the Devils are not included in this, so for the past few years I've done the poll on here.

It's simple: Every player (plus some non-players) are listed, and you decide whether you want them on the team next year or not. Money and contracts are not a factor - this is simply a poll of who you'd like to see back, and who you'd like to see gone.

I anticipate that this year's poll, save for a handful of people, will be much more positive that last years...

Edited by thelastonealive

If money and contracts are not a factor, doesn't that make things kind of pointless. For example, I'd "like" Salvador back but reality of the situation is it makes zero sense really to bring him back barring a trade.

It's a heart, not brain kind of poll. I usually try to get it up as close to the end of the season as possible but wasn't really feeling up to it last night, but the idea is to kind of get that raw immediate reaction.

Maybe "not a factor" isn't the right phrase - not the primary factor may be better.

I voted dump Hedberg, just because of his age and I would like to see Marty mentor a young keeper.

I voted the same. I like Moose, but I think Marty's got a year left (maybe two if it's a split/mentoring thing, which I think it should be), and the second goalie spot has to go to a successor, not a backup.

I always say history does not control the future, but as much as we've enjoyed success under DeBoer, exceedingly few coaches have lost a Cup & then come back to win one.

Recent exceptions happened, (including last night !) although the win came with with different teams

But if I recall its just like 7-8 coaches who have lost first, then won later.... (Sutter CAL/LAK, Bowman STL/MON, Johnson CAL/PIT, Keenan PHI & CHI/NYR, Burns MON/NJD, and Babcock ANA/DET).

Single teams where a coach lost then won that I can recall are Sather with EDM. Let's hope PDB is the next one to do so !

Corrections to these facts, since 1967 expansion, from my memory are welcomed !

Edited by BlueSkirt

By far the most shocking one here is that Dainius Zubrus has 0 'Dump 'Em' votes. I doubt he'd have any 'Keep 'Em' votes after 08 or 09.

i don't think anyone with a head ever wanted to dump zubrus for any reason other than serious cap crunch when someone with value was need to be expunged.

By far the most shocking one here is that Dainius Zubrus has 0 'Dump 'Em' votes. I doubt he'd have any 'Keep 'Em' votes after 08 or 09.

I remember when I was the only guy with a Zubrus jersey before the 09-10 season haha now he is a fan favorite. Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuub!

Edited by Zubie#8

Money will be the factor. poni probably gets offers, what will bernier and carter be looking for? is there room for sal? was A-train hurt or is his legs gone? i really hope we didnt miss the boat on larsson, please look quicker next season. who is the heir apparent to broduer

Toughest of those for me was Moose - we need ayoung guy in there right now, and while Moose is younger than Marty ;) he ain't young enough. He was a good Devil though, I liked having him back there.

the whole forth line is a must keep. people like Hedberg and maybe even Sykora and Salvador, may be too old to really wish back (Sykora for his age but Salvador for his potential price, mixed with his age) i wouldn't be too upset if Sykora retired

we need to get a young goalie under marty though, without a doubt. its absolutely that time where we have to think about our future behind net, and we really haven't taken much action. none of our AHL goalies have seen a minute in the NHL... right? and unless we get our future goalie in a trade ( :pray: ) then we better give our youngsters some minutes

Edited by Onddeck

So, I got bored and started crunching numbers. After about nine hours of voting and roughly 52-56 votes per person, here's who we want to keep, in descending order:

Larsson - 100%

Henrique - 100%

Zajac - 100%

DeBoer - 100%

Robinson - 100%

Lamoriello - 98.2%

Zubrus - 96.5%

Kovalchuk - 96.5%

Carter - 96.5%

Brodeur - 96.4%

Josefson - 96.3%

Parise - 94.7%

Gionta - 94.7%

Elias - 94.6%

Zidlicky - 93.1%

Volchenkov - 92.9%

Clarkson - 91.2%

Tallinder - 91.1%

Greene - 89.3%

Fayne - 87.7%

Vanderbeek - 83.0%

Ponikarovsky - 75.0%

Oates - 73.2%

Bernier - 71.0%

Tedenby - 54.7%

Salvador - 54.5%

And who we want to dump:

Harrold - 42.9%

Hedberg - 42.1%

Mills - 17.0%

Sykora - 16.4%

Janssen - 14.0%

Boulton - 5.3%

Sestito - 3.6%

Poor, poor Tim Sestito.

Interesting numbers so far. Percentage-wise, we want to keep Parise and Gionta exactly as much. Bernier is the only CBGB Line-r to finish below 90%, and I'm sure I can guess why that may be. Sykora was the only regular on the dump list, I imagine that's more because we think he's done than not wanting him any more (or is that just me?)

If more votes come in in the next week, I'll crunch the numbers again later on.

I think with Moose it's much more a situation where we'd love to keep him but we NEED a young goalie already. We were the oldest team in the NHL this year, and having 79 years of age in 2 goalies certainly pushed us in that direction. He's a fine goalie, played very well for us and the fans love him, but we really desperately need some youth there. Marty said he's leaning towards coming back for another season, but won't decide for sure until July 1st (see below) .If he decides to retire then we should absolutely keep Moose as 'the mentor' guy.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/8040849/new-jersey-devils-goaltender-martin-brodeur-sets-july-1-deadline-decision-returning

I think with Moose it's much more a situation where we'd love to keep him but we NEED a young goalie already. We were the oldest team in the NHL this year, and having 79 years of age in 2 goalies certainly pushed us in that direction. He's a fine goalie, played very well for us and the fans love him, but we really desperately need some youth there. Marty said he's leaning towards coming back for another season, but won't decide for sure until July 1st (see below) .If he decides to retire then we should absolutely keep Moose as 'the mentor' guy.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/8040849/new-jersey-devils-goaltender-martin-brodeur-sets-july-1-deadline-decision-returning

This sums up Moose perfectly for me. Great guy, great backup but it's just time to move on from him.