‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

I have not renewed my full season tix yet. I am waiting to see wtf Lou does. I'll never stop loving this team or be a fan, but I just don't think I can stand seeing Zack in another jersey. UGH. If he goes to another team, let it be for some insane amount of overpayment because that's the only way I'll be able to deal with it.

Scoops

Yeah that's a bit extreme.. I mean everyone has their own opinions but it's weird to say you're so diehard but won't renew until 1 player resigns

I think Lou not trading Zach's rights is a good indicator that he's confident he can get Zach back.. And I genuinely feel Parise has taken ownership of this team and wants to be back leading them to more success.. He's the only Devils captain aside from Stevens to lead us to the finals

how i love this situation...

here's a metaphor... you've been with this girl for 9 years and you're at the bar sitting by yourself in a dark corner not drinking cause you're damn broke and in debts, watching bunch of guys flirting with ur gf at the bar... one of them is her childhood's lover begging her to come back bragging his money promising her that he'll give her anything she wants, then you have that super crazy hot muscular guy that every girl dream of... and a bunch of guys around that in the mix all waiting for their chances...

and you're there... looking at the situation not doing anything cause you think... "bahhhh i got this, she loves me they don't have a chance, i'm just gonna tell her that she's a priority and that i'll mary her someday if i can finally get myself a full time job and some cash flow... it should be fine"

thats really how i feel lol... of course things could go right but im still fvcking nervous

Way to combine two of my least favorite things, losing great players as UFAs and being reminded of my lacking skills in the acquiring and keeping of gfs.

I think Lou not trading Zach's rights is a good indicator that he's confident he can get Zach back.. And I genuinely feel Parise has taken ownership of this team and wants to be back leading them to more success.. He's the only Devils captain aside from Stevens to lead us to the finals

I don't think it's an indication of anything. It's no secret that there are supposed to be negotiations next week. It makes zero sense to trade rights before you've had a chance to even know what the player's intentions are.

Only when Zach says, I'm not re-signing under any circumstances, or perhaps if ownership says the team can't afford it, then you consider it. Even if you do, expect nothing better than a third round pick, and that would be conditioned on him actually signing with the team his rights are traded to.

Suter has more or less cut off talks with Nashville and is testing free agency, yet has not had his rights traded, even with the Penguins apparently knocking on Nashville's door. Tells you it is rarely, rarely ever worth it.

Edited by Daniel

I predict that Zach Parise signs with the New Jersey Devils at 1:32PM on July 2nd after revising three other serious offers and realizing that the New Jersey Devils offered a good deal that also came with the "C" and the best chance of winning a Stanley Cup.

I predict that Zach Parise signs with the New Jersey Devils at 1:32PM on July 2nd after revising three other serious offers and realizing that the New Jersey Devils offered a good deal that also came with the "C" and the best chance of winning a Stanley Cup.

at the end of the day as long we get him at a fair price im okay with it. BUT if he would sign before testing the market it would be a GREAT message sent to the organization and fans, that this is where he REALLY wanted to be and didnt even think of going elsewhere. but im pretty sure he's curious to know what kind of interest is out there

I expect both Zach and suter to sign pretty much immediately on the 1st, within the first few hours of free agency. There won't be much negotiating, the offers will come in and they will make decisions. I would hope Zach gives lou a chance to match offers though.

Yea and Patrick Elias and Martin Broduer.

Don't forget Travis "Zajack", which I can't believe I still see all the time on Devils forums. I'm not usually a grammar/spelling nazi on the internet, but when other fans can't even spell our own players' names correctly, especially players who have been here for YEARS, I don't hesitate to correct them. "I'm a bad speller" isn't a good enough excuse. Their names are on the jerseys and included all over the TV broadcasts that we watch all season long, how have you not read the names enough times to learn how to spell them yet?

/rant

He's earned the right to test the market and I can't get angry at him or about the situation at all yet. In all likelihood, this will be his one time to get superstar offers because whoever signs him will lock him up for 6-10 years. Its tantalizing to any guy. The crux of the situation for me is how long he keeps us waiting, but considering he and Lou are due to begin negotiating much sooner than Sunday, Im on the better end of positive about the situation right now. I believe if we don't have him locked up by July 1st at 12:15pm, he's probably not going to be in NJ. Im fearful of a Niedermayer situation developing. The one positive is that its clear Zach is the best offensive FA out there and he'll likely set the market so some guys will be waiting to see what he does.

That prediction above from someone else about 7/2 at whatever o'clock doesn't float for me. That sort of situation will be aggravating. If its not done by the open/within first few hours of UFA day, I dont think hes coming back.

I predict it gets done Saturday night/Sunday morning. Similar to Langenbrunner a few years ago when it happened basically right at the start of UFA signings.

TG with some "new" info

"Lou Lamoriello said, he'd never say never, but he doesn't believe in trading player rights and no one approached him to do so with Parise."

"For those who will ask, Lamoriello said things are "status quo" with Parise contract-wise."

i'm not exactly sure what plan b is if parise leaves in that i don't know that lou is offering someone like semin a contract on 7/1. there's no top 6 that's really a good fit from UFA. semin? boyes? kostitsyn? stepniak? parenteau? these are the only guys i could consider a possible top 6 upgrade over what would be left if parise left.

i'm not exactly sure what plan b is if parise leaves in that i don't know that lou is offering someone like semin a contract on 7/1. there's no top 6 that's really a good fit from UFA. semin? boyes? kostitsyn? stepniak? parenteau? these are the only guys i could consider a possible top 6 upgrade over what would be left if parise left.

Is it totally insane to think Nash might be the back up plan? Obviously a large amount of money owing, but less than what would have to be shelled out to keep Parise.

Is it totally insane to think Nash might be the back up plan? Obviously a large amount of money owing, but less than what would have to be shelled out to keep Parise.

Yes, that's insane. That would be horrendous. The Devils don't have the bodies to make such a move - they can either go to free agency or, given the kind of movement we've seen in the last few days, I think a trade might work quite nicely - a deal with Edmonton, say.

the Devils just can't replace Parise through trades... first you lose parise... then you have to ship other players (which would be actual NHL player and not picks and prospects) to get maybe another guy that may produce like zach..?

we need to keep him, what zach was bringing to this team is more than production... he was the "heartbeat" of the team... and pretty much anything losing its heartbeat is in trouble

People are so worried about Parise.

Was Parise the reason we let in 3 goals during a 5 min major in Game 6?

Goaltending is still an issue going forward for this team - and the patch fix tenders are coming off the market day-by-day through trades and re-signs. So what's the immediate 3-year plan for that? Does management really believe that someone is ready in the pipe? OR do we push foolish forward with two 40 year old tenders again hoping that neither gets injured?

Clearly, how important was offense from the back line in the playoffs this year? How lucky were we with Salvador with that?

IMHO, we should be going after Suter or trading for Yandle (with anything not named Henrique, Larsson, Kovy) at all costs. I know we don't have the assets but we need to address this. We can't hold a lead to save a life unless MB is in the zone - how long is that going to last?

I think some people are honestly fooled by this smoke-and-mirrors defense (bring out the stats). If the Goaltending is going to stay on the older side - the defense needs to significantly pick up the slack.

Simply fielding the same team - or close to it - is not going to do it.

I love him - but - Parise is not the lynchpin. He won't determine whether the ship sinks or floats.

You don't find this sentence a little odd considering they were a shanked open net shot by Fayne and a Kovalchuk shot off the crossbar away from winning the Cup? I guess you can say they overachieved in the playoffs, but no matter what roster you assemble you kind of need them to perform to their fullest potential to go all the way regardless.

You don't find this sentence a little odd considering they were a shanked open net shot by Fayne and a Kovalchuk shot off the crossbar away from winning the Cup? I guess you can say they overachieved in the playoffs, but no matter what roster you assemble you kind of need them to perform to their fullest potential to go all the way regardless.

You have to be able to kill penalties at key moments. We need defensive depth.

I think the NYR and LAK series alone proves how important offense from the back line is going to be against strong defensive teams.

Its always been our weakness. Zids helps but is not enough.

People are so worried about Parise.

Was Parise the reason we let in 3 goals during a 5 min major in Game 6?

Goaltending is still an issue going forward for this team - and the patch fix tenders are coming off the market day-by-day through trades and re-signs. So what's the immediate 3-year plan for that? Does management really believe that someone is ready in the pipe? OR do we push foolish forward with two 40 year old tenders again hoping that neither gets injured?

Clearly, how important was offense from the back line in the playoffs this year? How lucky were we with Salvador with that?

IMHO, we should be going after Suter or trading for Yandle (with anything not named Henrique, Larsson, Kovy) at all costs. I know we don't have the assets but we need to address this. We can't hold a lead to save a life unless MB is in the zone - how long is that going to last?

I think some people are honestly fooled by this smoke-and-mirrors defense (bring out the stats). If the Goaltending is going to stay on the older side - the defense needs to significantly pick up the slack.

I love him - but - Parise is not the lynchpin. He won't determine whether the ship sinks or floats.

Ryan Suter is not signing with NJ. There is a good chance Zach Parise will. What are we giving up to get Yandle anyway? Keep in mind Phoenix isn't blowing their team up.

And bringing up one 5-min penalty in game 6 of the finals to make any point is absolutely laughable. Calling this defense smoke-and-mirrors is also laughable. I'm surprised you didn't mention Greene by name here.

Edited by devilsrule33

You have to be able to kill penalties at key moments. We need defensive depth.

I think the NYR and LAK series alone proves how important offense from the back line is going to be against strong defensive teams.

This team set the record for best penalty killing percentage in the history of the statistic. For whatever reason, they weren't as good in the playoffs, but if the best PK% ever isn't good enough, then I don't know what is.

Saying they weren't as good is an understatement...they went from record-setting to awful once teams started studying the PK day in and day out.

And yeah maybe some guys like Salvador and Carter/Gionta overachieved, but Elias massively underachieved and Kovy was carrying an elephant on his back the whole playoffs. Zidlicky also didn't look the same after getting clocked in the last game against the Flyers. It's not fair to say they fluked their way through the playoffs. They got production from guys you wouldn't expect to compensate from not getting it from the guys you would.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Larsson should be better next season as well.

Our defense is not a problem. That stretch in game 6 was the fault of the entire team. It was a bad breakdown at the worst possible time when up to that point our PK had fared fairly well against the Kings. You seem to forget how we manhandled the Flyers who were tied for second in the league in scoring during the regular season and were expected to destroy us.

I agree that it would be nice to have more offense coming from the back end, but Larsson will have a year under his belt and mature a bit hopefully + Tallinder will hopefully play the entire year. Zidlicky also played very well in the playoffs until he obviously was playing hurt after the Simmonds hit.

If we lose Zach, we're losing a major contributor to our offense. Its not the end of the world if he does leave, but neither is staying status quo defensively. If Zach leaves, we have a bigger hole to fill there.

Goaltender is obviously a part of the team that needs to be addressed for the future, but Marty has shown he's capable even if he's not the SuperMarty of the past.

Ryan Suter is not signing with NJ. There is a good chance Zach Parise will. What are we giving up to get Yandle anyway? Keep in mind Phoenix isn't blowing their team up.

And bringing up one 5-min penalty in game 6 of the finals to make any point is absolutely laughable. Calling this defense smoke-and-mirrors is also laughable. I'm surprised you didn't mention Greene by name here.

Why is it laughable? What's the explanation?

I've yet to hear one other than the validity of the call or non-call?

Just tell me where the offense from the back end is coming from other than Zidlicky?

As for Greene, I haven't typed his name in over a year - but why argue logic when you can simply - roll out the NJDEVs bias history right?

I don't think we have anything we need to get Yandle done - but I also wouldn't have believe the Michalek or JVR trade returns the past few days either.

I'd start the conversation with Zubrus/Tedenby/Josefson... (which won't get it done).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.