N Y Post On Attendence

Rock

DEVILS' 'CROWD'

COMES UP SMALL

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/24516.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 31, 2002 -- So they came home as the league leaders, perfect at the Meadowlands, and facing their newest rivals, the Hurricanes, who had knocked them out of the playoffs and handed them their lone defeat of their first seven games.

And the Devils could only announce a crowd of 10,328 witnessing their 2-1 loss to Carolina Tuesday, in the vast bowl that holds 19,040.

"Maybe they're waiting for the new arena," Ken Daneyko said. "Maybe they were worried about a snowstorm. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they come out Saturday [afternoon vs. Chicago]."

Crowds like that can be used as an argument for moving to Newark. On the other hand, it could be the start of the Greensboro Syndrome.

When they left Hartford, the newly-named Hurricanes played their first two years in Greensboro while their Raleigh arena was being built. Knowing that the team was leaving in short order, fans stayed away in droves in Greensboro, the numbers often below that of Tuesday's Meadowlands crowd. (In Carolina it was over an hour drive between the two cities. Also, since no construction has begun, I doubt this is a major factor.)

If some current fans decide against following the Devils to Newark as often, they might cut their allegiances early and beat the rush.

Perhaps it was just the standard difficulty the Devils have always had selling tickets for an October weeknight. But it certainly doesn't prove the theory that "Winning is everything," especially when the Devils are accused of being less than an entertainment wow.

"I was a little disappointed," Martin Brodeur said. "I thought there'd be more people, with us doing really well, playing a team that everyone knows we have somewhat of a rivalry with. But it was a weeknight. It was early in the season."

Pat Burns skated the Devils hard yesterday after running them through scrimmages on even-strength and power play situations . . . Jay Pandolfo survived the full ordeal and expects to return Saturday from his groin pull.

Why can't they just see the reality??? $$$, Arena Sucks, Parking Sucks, Weather Blows. No is going to pay 72 for upstairs seating, and 90 for corner first level behind the nets.

Amen! When times were good I could only afford to go to 3-4 games a year. Now that times are tough... I'll be lucky if I see 1. NHL tickets have become way too expensive over the last 5 years. The individual fans can no longer afford to go and the corporations aren't buying more seats (in fact they're cutting back as well). Makes you wonder what's going to happen in '04. :(

What do you guys think about the Newark arena anyway? Will you go to the games? Will it be easier for you to get there? Will you go to more or less games?

I come from Central jersey so I like the convenience the TP provides but I'd rather see the team do whats best for them as a whole. If they think it's Newark, then it's looks like I better get a map of Newark . :saddevil:

There are some markets where you have to lower ticket prices to stimulate demand. New Jersey is one of them. I might go to a game on a whim if it was $20, not $40. Case closed. I know you can get a great deal from people selling tickets outside the arena, but usually I don't want to bother with that.

Man I'm freaking big as a house, I've been sick the past two weeks and I never get any sleep and I love the Devils and now I get YELLED at by Dano and Marty! Sheesh! :(

Newark will be easier for me to get to I know that much - although I do enjoy the drive to the Meadowlands...but just because of memories created doing so...like Pavlov's dog I get all excited once I hit the where E and W split!

I feel so SORRY for myself today... :evilcry:

Happy Halloween everyone!

As it stands, I go to about 15 games a year. I buy the partial plan that has 18 or so games, and I end up giving some away to friends and coworkers when I can't go. I'll do at least the same when they're in Newark.

Personally, I think that what the Devils have to do is have more price levels for seating. Currently they have 6 levels. I'd add several more. As it stands, the entire lower bowl is $90.00. That's ridiculous. Here's a suitable format:

1st 5 rows: $110.00

Next 10 rows center ice: $95.00

Next 10 rows end view: $90.00

Rest of bowl center ice: $80.00

Rest of bowl end view: $70.00

Upper Level:

1st 5 rows center ice: $65.00

1st 5 rows end view: $55.00

Next 10 rows center ice: $50.00

Next 10 rows end view: $45.00

Row 20+ center ice: $35.00

Row 20+ end view $25.00

High corners under vents: $20.00

Furthermore, I'd have a range of 5% either way where these prices rise and fall for all pre-game orders (not walk-ups) depending on matchup/date/etc.

The average ticket price might drop slightly, but more people in the seats would make up for it plus the additional concessions, parking, etc. that comes with more asses in the seats.

There are some markets where you have to lower ticket prices to stimulate demand. New Jersey is one of them. I might go to a game on a whim if it was $20, not $40. Case closed. I know you can get a great deal from people selling tickets outside the arena, but usually I don't want to bother with that.

so true jerry. the devils, being on the turnpike already have a huge strike against them as far as walkups go. Lower prices would help. It's not the answer completely, but it's a good place to start.

Here's my re-post from another attendance article:

It is so very very easy for multi-millionaires to complain about not having enough fans in the seats.

I go without food to get to the two vacations I can get a year to see this guys. They probably couldn't care less.

It's pretty freaking disheartening how worked up I get over the team. Right now, I'd like to flip them off.

Do they notice the faces of the people who ARE there or do they just zone in on empty seats?

Hey Marty and Scotty. This is what you DO have:

http://www.petrsykora.com/devils/photos/02...1012/elias1.jpg

(another wondrous photo moment brought to us by Ally)

I know MY face looks like these kids when I'm there.

Try respecting the fan legion you DO have. We're crazy about you.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be written about, but every single local paper chose to write about it on the same day. What, did they have a mini-press conference about it yesterday or something? It's like all the articles that were coming out during training camp on the same 3 people. It's seems like they get together and throw a dart a topic board and whatever topic it hits is the one they're all supposed to cover that day. Just odd is all.

Devils attendance has always been poor. Is it only the pricing, seats, hotdog, program, parking, beer or is it the product?

Certainly the ecomony isn't helping and the cost of seats is awful. Devils were the 4th highest cost for a family of 4 to see a Devils hockey game a few years, like 4, ago. So if that's the case today, and I think it is, I think product for the bucks spent, is 50% of the reason why no one shows.

I think they will get same number on Saturday PM or worse except they are putting out promotions yesterday and today, to beaf up attendance.

One of the issues LL discussed preseason down in Monmouth County was the fact that weeknight games start so late. (Rags games begin at 7:05, not 7:35.) Commuters can't get home, pick up the family and get back to CAA by 7:00pm. At least with the faster play, games are ending at 10:00, instead of 10:20.

Its just another reason attendance is low. Its not the team, its the environment.

Hell, even I don't have weeknight tix, I get the weekend partial plan.

I noticed it in the 2000-01 season when they had one of the most exciting products on ice. There was a lack of support and I never understood why.

This season, a lot of teams' attendances are down. So, it's not just the Devils. It's a league problem.