2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

Mayday

You know one of my worries is that if the Devils don't do something fairly significant this off-season, it's going to be a lot harder to attract free agents here. I think it's easy for some people to look at the Devils and say they lost their captain, two important assistant coaches, the team has financial instability and Marty and Lou probably don't have too much longer stays in them. Hence, I don't think it's that far of a stretch for some free agents to assume the Devils might not be worth the risk any longer despite their proven track record. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm now wondering if all of this off-season nonsense is going to start taking a cumulative toll on the organization? But there is one important caveat to all of this: I do think the Devils have to be very careful, if they do make a splash, to ensure that it's not going to completely backfire on them and sabotage the team's chances for years to come. Hence, the Devils are going to have to walk a very delicate line here. It’s not going to be easy, but if anyone can pull it off, it’s Lou.

Excuse me while I reach for my Kool-Aid.

St. Louis Blues

BREAKING NEWS: The Blues have agreed to terms with T.J. Oshie on a five-year contract. Details coming to stlouisblues.com soon #stlblues

St. Louis Blues

Oshie's contract is worth an average of $4.175 million per year. Official press release will be available Friday. #stlblues

Edited by TheMazz

No way Predators won't match. Actually works out for them since they prob wouldn't be able to get Weber to agree to sign a long-term deal with them.

I know this post was made before the structure of the deal became apparent, but I don't think this 'works out for them'.

Seriously? There is a salary cap. What exactly constitutes ring chasing today, and why is it a bad thing?

Edit: I guess you are speaking in Doan's perspective, and not the Rangers or Flyers.

Im not saying its a bad thing. He's 35 and is not going to have many more chances. Obviously, there's a salary cap, but these teams will offer him multiple years and a high salary because they're stupid. Pittsburgh is also in the running, same thing there. Players like the Rags and Flyers, big markets, and ownership treats their players well.

And yes, Philly and NYR are always chasing, but they're also likely to contend again this coming year. It's not like he's looking at non-playoff teams. He wants to stay in Phoenix, but that doesnt look like its gonna be possible with their ownership issues.