2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

Mayday

I didn't think this was worthy creating a new thread for nor is it confirmed anywhere. EliteProspects NJ Devils transfer page popped up in Google Reader saying that Alexandre Carrier (RW) to NJ under the "rumor" status. However when I clicked on the link there was no posting on their website about it. I don't know if it was some sort of error in the system or if they put up the posting before they had a more credible source to go by and then took it down but maybe this will be something to keep an eye out for.

The guy is nothing special, probably an AHL signing. He hardly scored in his QMJHL career and has only put up big numbers in the 2nd division league in Austria. Looks like he is just an enforcer.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I just think we should forget about the possibility of guys signing here... I really think were gonna have to fill our holes through trades... At least with trades sometimes the player coming in doesnt have the choice haha... And lets be real... NJ is not too attracting for UFA's when other teams going after you are pittsburgh, chicago, detroit, philly.. Etc all great healthy clubs with stars and a good core in all those teams...

Not to be a downer here but lets be real... And I mean im not saying NJ is sh!t but looking from the outside... 2 goalies in their 40s, and who knows if the prospects will ever pan out... A 103 years old GM who could have an attack cardiac any day... Ownership problems, bankruptcy reports coming out every week, the captain and heart of the team just left, big chunk of the core aging and not sure if some key players will re-sign... Bottom line... Id qualify the devils future really "uncertain"... Of course you never know with any teams and the devils is a good organization and all but still...

Of course if im an UFA id pick NJ before a BUNCH of teams... But this years team were racing with are all more attractive IMO, we'd have to overpay a lot to get guys.

I just think we should forget about the possibility of guys signing here... I really think were gonna have to fill our holes through trades... At least with trades sometimes the player coming in doesnt have the choice haha... And lets be real... NJ is not too attracting for UFA's when other teams going after you are pittsburgh, chicago, detroit, philly.. Etc all great healthy clubs with stars and a good core in all those teams...

Not to be a downer here but lets be real... And I mean im not saying NJ is sh!t but looking from the outside... 2 goalies in their 40s, and who knows if the prospects will ever pan out... A 103 years old GM who could have an attack cardiac any day... Ownership problems, bankruptcy reports coming out every week, the captain and heart of the team just left, big chunk of the core aging and not sure if some key players will re-sign... Bottom line... Id qualify the devils future really "uncertain"... Of course you never know with any teams and the devils is a good organization and all but still...

Of course if im an UFA id pick NJ before a BUNCH of teams... But this years team were racing with are all more attractive IMO, we'd have to overpay a lot to get guys.

I don't understand how NJ isn't attractive for free agents. How is a winning franchise a non attractive spot. A team that manages to still win even after we have had top players leave. I don't even think you can blame money problems for this one as Dallas picked up some key free agents.

Edited by TheMazz

I don't understand how NJ isn't attractive for free agents. How is a winning franchise a non attractive spot. A team that manages to still win even after we have had top players leave. I don't even think you can blame money problems for this one as Dallas picked up some key free agents.

what i say is mostly "not as attractive at this moment compared to other teams going hard on the market." To me Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit is all more attractive and they all have winning teams and solid pieces together and no complications with the ownership and as much question marks surrounding the organization. thats all.

I agree with TheMazz here. It may not be the best of those listed, but Philly seems like a mess: the last couple years, they've always had a very solid team, and still found a way to be early playoff exits (not to mention they may not have much space depending on what happens with the Weber offer sheet). Pittsburgh means playing in the shadow of Crosby and Malkin (if you're a Semin/Doan), and Detroit is comparable to NJ, but the loss of Lidstrom is bigger than the loss of Parise imo. Financial troubles are something to think about, but this is also a team that always find out how to come together, even when they look average on paper.

I don't even think you can blame money problems for this one as Dallas picked up some key free agents.

Dallas is coming out of the "dark" so to speak. They have new ownership in place who's willing to spend. And its arguable their biggest moves were made via trades. We're basically in the spot Dallas was before bankruptcy which they only declared last year IE when they lost Richards and such. The new owner did not have control of the team until the end of 2011/early 2012. Its also hard to gauge what exactly is up with us because the franchise is so quiet about everything, so its all speculatory with rags like the Post feeding us nothing but negatives.

The bigger problem this year IMO is lack of market depth. There were only a few players worth spending for and very few didn't get overpaid. An argument can be made for this guy or that guy, but would a Daniel Winnik-type make anyone excited?

Edited by ghdi

Points of contention

One of our 40 year old goalies is not just a legend, he is the legend.... Probably one of the best goalies in all hockey history (yes I'll go there)

Our GM has done nothing but succeed in putting a gret team on the ice (count the number of times we have missed the playoffs in the last thirty years, you should only need one hand)

Zack the traitor Parise is not and never was the heart of our team.

Our core maybe aging but our prospects are great. We don't need certain people to resign...

Ownership will get sorted out so that is not a long term issue

Thus the Devils future is as uncertain as any other team

Points of contention

One of our 40 year old goalies is not just a legend, he is the legend.... Probably one of the best goalies in all hockey history (yes I'll go there)

Our GM has done nothing but succeed in putting a gret team on the ice (count the number of times we have missed the playoffs in the last thirty years, you should only need one hand)

Zack the traitor Parise is not and never was the heart of our team.

Our core maybe aging but our prospects are great. We don't need certain people to resign...

Ownership will get sorted out so that is not a long term issue

Thus the Devils future is as uncertain as any other team

mmmm again im not trying to be a downer here but i think you're wearing blinders here... Not taking anything away from Brodeur and Lou of course but they are both at the end of the road, and who knows after that... if you plan on signing in NJ for like 5 years... its a concern... Brodeur will not be there, Lou might not be there, Elias won't be there, Zajac may not be there if he doesnt re-sign...

Player won't sign in NJ just cause Brodeur is a legend either, he's not the elite goalie he was... it's like banging a 60 years old chick saying she was really hot when she was 25

That's such a dumb comparison, I'm sorry. If you don't think people seeing Brodeur, thinking of the 3 rings he has on his hand and realizing how close he was to a 4th is a good selling point for a potential free agent, you're nuts.

While his comparison isn't the best, Brodeur having 3 rings in a different era is not going to be a good selling point for a free agent right now. Not for a player looking for the best chance to win before he retires...not that I know who that player is really.

That's such a dumb comparison, I'm sorry. If you don't think people seeing Brodeur, thinking of the 3 rings he has on his hand and realizing how close he was to a 4th is a good selling point for a potential free agent, you're nuts.

I was obviously kidding with that comparison, yet i still dont think its a good selling point no. I really dont. Brodeur is past his prime big time. You dont sign somewhere based on the past success of a 40 years old man at the end of his career, cmon now. Like i said if a guy sign for more than 3 years he wont even be around by the end of his contract.

To play with kovalchuk is a good selling point, the guy is a beast and hes still among the top players, brodeur isnt anymore.

I was obviously kidding with that comparison, yet i still dont think its a good selling point no. I really dont. Brodeur is past his prime big time. You dont sign somewhere based on the past success of a 40 years old man at the end of his career, cmon now. Like i said if a guy sign for more than 3 years he wont even be around by the end of his contract.

To play with kovalchuk is a good selling point, the guy is a beast and hes still among the top players, brodeur isnt anymore.

I think the selling point is the fact that the Devils have been a competitive team every year since the 1995. I don't remember off hand, but have we made the playoffs every year but 2? Think of a team like Toronto that has been around a lot longer, but has not had the recent success we have.

I think the selling point is the fact that the Devils have been a competitive team every year since the 1995. I don't remember off hand, but have we made the playoffs every year but 2? Think of a team like Toronto that has been around a lot longer, but has not had the recent success we have.

We're the defending Eastern Conference champions, the best fvcking team in the NHL's Eastern Conference.

That right there should be the selling point of all selling points.

Didnt know where to post this but Tim Thomas is at it again...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/8204156/ex-boston-bruins-goalie-tim-thomas-supports-chick-fil-facebook-post

What a joke, I remember when I use to admire him as a hockey player and role model, now he is becoming a political clown. :horse:

I've seen other people feel athletes/musicians/actors in the public eye shouldn't mention politics...unless agreeing with their own politics. I think Sean Avery even got a thread on a Devils board praising him for jumping into political speech. Either these guys have the rights to their opinions and can speak them or they are public figures and should never speak them, but it's not that they should speak only ones I agree with or they're political clowns.

Unless you consider him a clown because he said he'd stand by Chik-Fil-A, in which case that should be in the politics thread.