What to do if we lose Parise?

mort4345

If they don't sign Zach there probably isn't a backup plan because that means the cash isn't there. It will be find someone in the bargain bin to fill out the roster and go from there,

I wouldn't say that's true at all. It's possible that the Wild offer Zach a stupid deal that Lou would have to be crazy to match, regardless of the team's financial situation.

fixed. I mean, I doubt Lou is interested very much in Semin, but never say never about these things.

Nah, but I will agree that "never" is too strong of a word. I disagree with the correlation to Kovalchuk. Kovy was never mentioned in the same breath as Semin has in terms of attitude. Kovy's style of play was a question undoubtedly, but thats the way he always played until he got here.

In that respect tho, since we've gotten Kovy to change his game style, maybe Semin would buy into it and change his attitude too.

Nah, but I will agree that "never" is too strong of a word. I disagree with the correlation to Kovalchuk. Kovy was never mentioned in the same breath as Semin has in terms of attitude. Kovy's style of play was a question undoubtedly, but thats the way he always played until he got here.

In that respect tho, since we've gotten Kovy to change his game style, maybe Semin would buy into it and change his attitude too.

I have a feeling that if Zach leaves, Semin could be brought in. The kids got boatloads of talent, but doesn't know (or want to know) how to play 2 ways. That has to change and, ironically, it would be Kovy that gets him to buy into the "Devils way."

Semin just reeks of Gomez-itis.

Lots of natural talent and skill, but he rarely seems to care or try.

I'm pleased to see how Kovalchuk has changed and evolved his game to buy into the Devils' system, but does anyone else really want to take on another 'project' player that cannot play defense?

Just going on playoffs alone, Semin bought into Hunters system very well and he was not a liability out there. He took way too many penalties in those 2 rounds though. But from what I saw in the playoffs he 100% bought in to Hunters system of defense first.

I could see him going to the KHL because he will have to take a pay cut to stay in the NHL. I dont think any teams will pay him 6 million but you never know.

Edited by Zubie#8

I wouldn't say that's true at all. It's possible that the Wild offer Zach a stupid deal that Lou would have to be crazy to match, regardless of the team's financial situation.

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this has happened a bunch of times. We would gladly have resigned Gomez if the Rags hadn't given him mad-stupid money; Neider would've been back if the offer had been higher (and his bro wasn't already playing for the Ducks.... And if Lou hadn't dragged him thru the mud in arbitration); and so on. I don't think we've ever had a situation, yet, where lack of money dictated our signings and Lou has confirmed this pblicly I believe. My guess is that he has a number in mind and it will be what he believe Zach is worth. It will be reasonable, maybe even generous, and he won't budge if some team like the Wild comes along and throws out a Gomez-style salary at Zach. No matter how good you are, everyone can be overpaid.

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this has happened a bunch of times. We would gladly have resigned Gomez if the Rags hadn't given him mad-stupid money; Neider would've been back if the offer had been higher (and his bro wasn't already playing for the Ducks.... And if Lou hadn't dragged him thru the mud in arbitration); and so on. I don't think we've ever had a situation, yet, where lack of money dictated our signings and Lou has confirmed this pblicly I believe. My guess is that he has a number in mind and it will be what he believe Zach is worth. It will be reasonable, maybe even generous, and he won't budge if some team like the Wild comes along and throws out a Gomez-style salary at Zach. No matter how good you are, everyone can be overpaid.

I agree with everything you said except the Niedermayer part. If I recall correctly, Lou offered him a max (or near max) contract that was higher than what the Ducks signed him for. He turned it down and went to Anaheim because of little Robbie and a chance to win the Cup with his brother, rather than against him. Nothing Lou or the organization could have done differently, other than sign him to an extension a year prior.

I agree with everything you said except the Niedermayer part. If I recall correctly, Lou offered him a max (or near max) contract that was higher than what the Ducks signed him for. He turned it down and went to Anaheim because of little Robbie and a chance to win the Cup with his brother, rather than against him. Nothing Lou or the organization could have done differently, other than sign him to an extension a year prior.

Yep, you are right. Lou offered max salary and Nieds decided to try to win with his bro. The only other thing Lou could do other than an extension was trade for Rob, which he attempted while he was with Calgary.

I think a one year deal for Jagr could make sense.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Jagr

or if that doesn't work out put Jagr on the second line where Sykora was.

If Jagr comes back for another year, it's going to be with Philadelphia. The way he spoke about how it was so much fun, he loved it, blah blah blah. I doubt he signs anywhere else. Plus, Jagr is tainted for me since he was a member of the Rags fairly recently and now the Flyers. He also faded HARD in the 2nd half of the year ala Sykora.

On Paranteau, I actually like him and have been paying attention to him since he started playing well with NYI, not like him like big $$$$ like him, but I feel like he is a bit of sleeper this ufa season. Not as much since he had a good year with NYI, but I don't believe he's on a ton of team's short lists or anything. If he can be had for <4 years and <$3.6M per, I'd probably do it. He put up 18G 49A 67P this past season and while he played Tavares, it wasn't as if he was playing with him 100% of the time, so a lot of those assists weren't just attributable to JT's talent. That being said, I don't believe he's going to ever have a season where he puts up >75 points. I think his 67 points are about as high as he'll go, maybe he has another good season and gets to 75, but I doubt he ever become an "elite" point producer or anything.

I agree with those who feel that if Parise leaves, it means that the money isn't there for a big signing. With the emergence of Henrique, I think we're actually okay at LW and C until Elias starts to decline, so making a more modest signing of a guy like Parenteau to fit in on the right side is a pretty good one, IMO.

If Lou was inclined to keep Kovy on the right side we could also try doing a one year deal with Ray Whitney. Despite his age he seemed to have plenty of gas left in the tank this past year.

Alex Semin holds absolutely no appeal to me, especially at the $$$ some GM will throw at him. That's one of those that we'll all be looking at on the evening of July 1st knowing it will be an albatross by the end of the season. Leave that for the Scott Howsons of the world to do.

We should also stay away from Rick Nash because you're getting a bloated contract you would expect if you're signing a UFA on July 1st but Columbus is also looking for significant assets in return.

Edited by Lateralous

And just for sh!ts and giggles, that dweeb Єklund (2.3% accurate) is saying "We could see his rights moved on Thursday or Friday I am told." This is in ref to Parise.

I guess its okay to go fwd planning that he'll still be here now!

Edited by ghdi

I think we're keeping him, but regardless of Parise... I'd take Jagr at 2.5 million. He could be great on the PP, knows how to win, and if we don't burn him out could be a nice asset to the team.

Plus I'm sure he'd like to stay in the Atlantic. That being said there have always been rumors about him having a gambling problem and being near broke, so he might just go where the $ is. And probably will.

Gomez at $1,000,000.

I think we're keeping him, but regardless of Parise... I'd take Jagr at 2.5 million. He could be great on the PP, knows how to win, and if we don't burn him out could be a nice asset to the team.

Plus I'm sure he'd like to stay in the Atlantic. That being said there have always been rumors about him having a gambling problem and being near broke, so he might just go where the $ is. And probably will.

Gomez at $1,000,000.

Damn

I was gonna post I hope we get Jagr but I though I'd get killed for it....

At 2.5 I would give him a year for PP alone...

And then Marty and Jags hoist the Cup together next June as 41 year olds!!! :cheers:

Edited by ThreeCups

I agree with those who feel that if Parise leaves, it means that the money isn't there for a big signing. With the emergence of Henrique, I think we're actually okay at LW and C until Elias starts to decline, so making a more modest signing of a guy like Parenteau to fit in on the right side is a pretty good one, IMO.

If Lou was inclined to keep Kovy on the right side we could also try doing a one year deal with Ray Whitney. Despite his age he seemed to have plenty of gas left in the tank this past year.

Alex Semin holds absolutely no appeal to me, especially at the $$$ some GM will throw at him. That's one of those that we'll all be looking at on the evening of July 1st knowing it will be an albatross by the end of the season. Leave that for the Scott Howsons of the world to do.

We should also stay away from Rick Nash because you're getting a bloated contract you would expect if you're signing a UFA on July 1st but Columbus is also looking for significant assets in return.

Before I go on, I want to say that, as a board, can we stay away from the "gas left in th tank" analogy? Haha it is so overused everywhere its hard to take.

But I agree with your opinion (and several others im sure) about staying away from Nash. He is 100% gonna be overpaid. and although I know he's talented, it's stil a risk at his price. Besides, he plays on a sh!tty team so he Gould be getting all th points, who knows how he play with other guys that are going to want to handle the puck. Talented, of course, but not worth the price

The Nash trade is going to be a disaster, I hope the Rags go for it and blow up their team (which is on the rise for the first time in years) for a 60-70 pts. guy with a monster contract. If they somehow give Gaborik away in that trade, that could be an upside of that, but the Jackets will demand someone with high hopes for the future, I think.

If Lou finalizes his priority signings (Zach, Marty, solve the backup G situation, maybe bring Parenteau) and there's money left, I can't see how giving Jagr a shot could hurt, but with the financial problems and everything I don't really see that happening.

It seems like this is how Lou handles most contract negotiations. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I see Lou as the kind of guy who really hates getting in bidding wars for players. He tells the player and his agent the most that he is willing to offer and the player can either take it or leave it. What the other teams offer don't really have any effect on Lou's negotiating. One player for whom this seemed to be the situation was Rafalski, as it felt at the time like Lou could've had Raf if he engaged in a bidding war with the Wings. Of course everything I am saying is just speculation and could be completely wrong, but the best anybody can do at this point is guess, I suppose.

It seems like this is how Lou handles most contract negotiations. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I see Lou as the kind of guy who really hates getting in bidding wars for players. He tells the player and his agent the most that he is willing to offer and the player can either take it or leave it. What the other teams offer don't really have any effect on Lou's negotiating. One player for whom this seemed to be the situation was Rafalski, as it felt at the time like Lou could've had Raf if he engaged in a bidding war with the Wings. Of course everything I am saying is just speculation and could be completely wrong, but the best anybody can do at this point is guess, I suppose.

Exactly, same thing with Martin. When Martin left Lou already had plans to sign Tallinder and Volchenkov. I trust Lou will make the right moves with or without Parise.

Edited by Zubie#8