OT Where are you playing hockey this summer?

Jmorc2003

I run the adult league at Protec Ponds in Somerset, about ten minutes up Easton Ave from New Brunswick, exit 10 on I-287.

Our summer league is starting in about a week and a half, if anyone is looking to join a team or bring their team to a different league, let me know!

-8 games plus playoffs

-2 team practices scheduled by the captain

-Every team makes playoffs

-Free jersey if needed

-Stats, standings, and written game recaps on league website

-$185 for skaters, $135 for goalies

If interested you can register here: http://www.frontline-connect.com/programs-info.cfm?fac=protec&facid=1&levelid=0&seasonid=0&dateid=0&programid=6&uid=0

We are also running a tournament in August sponsored by Freddy's sports bar just up the street from the rink.

-C Division: August 3-5

-A Division: August 10-12

-B Division: August 10-12

-Minimum three games

-Top four teams advance to playoffs

-Prize pack sponsored by Freddy's Sports Bar & Grill

-Specials at Freddy's all weekend for tournament participants

-$1000 team fee, $850 if signed up before 7/29

In addition, I will be running a broomball league at the rink too from mid-July to late-August.

What is Broomball?

Broomball is a fun way to beat the heat while getting some exercise this summer!

Broomball is a winter sport played in ice arenas and community parks throughout the world. It is a game very similar to hockey in its formation and rules, but is not played with sticks or skates. A player uses a broom to maneuver a six-inch diameter ball up and down the ice. Not a good skater? No problem! Broomball is played on sneakers, anyone can play! Enjoy a hockey alternative this summer or bring some buddies to get them interested in hockey without the high cost or learning curve.

-Games are played on the mini rinks

-Saturdays between 4:00 and 5:15

-League meeting July 14th

-League runs July 21st to August 25th

-Teams will play three 20-minute games each Saturday

-15 regular season games, each team makes playoffs

-Helmet, broom, and sneakers are required

-$80, includes jersey

We also have open hockey on Saturdays from 10am to 11:45. $15 for skaters, goalies are free.

Any questions feel free to ask me!

Edited by devilsfan26

Assuming some of you guys play hockey, where are you playing hockey this summer (if at all)? I've taken the last year off, but and looking to play again. Just curious.

Same place I've been playing for the last four years...Twin Ponds in Harrisburg, PA.

Edited by NJCroMag

I'd actually like to get something semi-regular going in the Woodbridge area if anyone's interested. I'm trying to get in shape and bike riding, while enjoyable, gets monotonous after awhile.

That rink is ripped up and gone for re-paving....so that's out......

besides that I have floor hockey in Morris Plains, Piscataway and on occasion in Kearney, and ice hockey in Montclair.....my hockey playing slate it pretty packed (as is my investing in protective braces and all sorts of aches and pains treatments :blink: )

I play Roller hockey at ISCA, have been for a good decade, however, that might be coming to an end after this current season now that they 'terminated' two of my good friends from the team and they are no longer allowed to play at ISCA.

I might be 'moving my talents' to Skylands in northern jers for some ice hockey in the fall or as soon as i buy some new ice hockey equipment.

I might also still play some roller in morristown.

I rarely play outdoor roller because the wear and tear on my equipment.

I run the adult league at Protec Ponds in Somerset, about ten minutes up Easton Ave from New Brunswick, exit 10 on I-287.

Our summer league is starting in about a week and a half, if anyone is looking to join a team or bring their team to a different league, let me know!

-8 games plus playoffs

-2 team practices scheduled by the captain

-Every team makes playoffs

-Free jersey if needed

-Stats, standings, and written game recaps on league website

-$185 for skaters, $135 for goalies

If interested you can register here: http://www.frontline-connect.com/programs-info.cfm?fac=protec&facid=1&levelid=0&seasonid=0&dateid=0&programid=6&uid=0

Dude, I think I know who you are. I did the adult 101/102s at Protec.

Anyway, I've been playing in a league in Montclair and open at Union Sports Arena.

We are also running a tournament in August sponsored by Freddy's sports bar just up the street from the rink.

-C Division: August 3-5

-A Division: August 10-12

-B Division: August 10-12

-Minimum three games

-Top four teams advance to playoffs

-Prize pack sponsored by Freddy's Sports Bar & Grill

-Specials at Freddy's all weekend for tournament participants

-$1000 team fee, $850 if signed up before 7/29

In addition, I will be running a broomball league at the rink too from mid-July to late-August.

What is Broomball?

Broomball is a fun way to beat the heat while getting some exercise this summer!

Broomball is a winter sport played in ice arenas and community parks throughout the world. It is a game very similar to hockey in its formation and rules, but is not played with sticks or skates. A player uses a broom to maneuver a six-inch diameter ball up and down the ice. Not a good skater? No problem! Broomball is played on sneakers, anyone can play! Enjoy a hockey alternative this summer or bring some buddies to get them interested in hockey without the high cost or learning curve.

-$80, includes jersey

We also have open hockey on Saturdays from 10am to 11:45. $15 for skaters, goalies are free.

Any questions feel free to ask me!

Dude, I think I know you. I did the adult 101/102 at protec. I've been playing in leagues in Montclair and open in Union Sports Arena.

Edited by Jmorc2003

Aspen Ice @ Flemington Friday 9:45pm/15$

Bridgewater Sports Arena @ Bridgewater Friday 8pmish/11$

Steel Ice Center @ Bethlahem, PA Sat 9-10:15pm/13$

I play whenever I can but all these times are subject to change in the summer. Best to call before you head out.

I'm assuming these are the open hockey times for these places? I used to go to protec, but I haven't been on the ice in a couple years and BSA is a bit closer to me as I'm in Hunterdon.

Dude, I think I know you. I did the adult 101/102 at protec. I've been playing in leagues in Montclair and open in Union Sports Arena.

What league in Montclair??

AIL. I havent played since since spring '11 because I decided to buy a house and have a kid which pretty much use up all my spare time and money. Hoping to be back next winter.

heh, me too been playing since Spring '10

That rink is ripped up and gone for re-paving....so that's out......

besides that I have floor hockey in Morris Plains, Piscataway and on occasion in Kearney, and ice hockey in Montclair.....my hockey playing slate it pretty packed (as is my investing in protective braces and all sorts of aches and pains treatments :blink: )

That's disappointing, though it desperately needs the re-paving. Wonder if there are any other rinks near me.

Or I might just eventually lose it and bring nets and set up a game in the Kean parking lot at some point when I'm bored at work. It'll be like Clerks, only lamer.

Haven't played since I moved to Brooklyn, it's a bitch to get ice time, but I used to like the pick up game at Floyd Hall in Montclair.

What is Broomball?

-$80, includes jersey

Did not know there was such thing as organized broomball. Do you play with actual brooms? The only time I ever played, we were provided with broomsticks that had small (barely larger than a hand), plastic triangles attached to their bottoms. That made sense since the ball was hard rubber (not flexible like a kickball).

That's disappointing, though it desperately needs the re-paving. Wonder if there are any other rinks near me.

Or I might just eventually lose it and bring nets and set up a game in the Kean parking lot at some point when I'm bored at work. It'll be like Clerks, only lamer.

I heard there is an outdoor rink behind a school somewhere in Clark or Cranford. As for Fords Park (Woodbridge) I called the county parks department and they said it should be done in September and will have a smooth blue surface, so I think it will be pretty nice.

Did not know there was such thing as organized broomball. Do you play with actual brooms? The only time I ever played, we were provided with broomsticks that had small (barely larger than a hand), plastic triangles attached to their bottoms. That made sense since the ball was hard rubber (not flexible like a kickball).

Yeah ours isn't going to be too official, it's pretty much all broomball beginners looking for something fun to do in the summer. Real broomball is played with the thing you described but players in our league can use that if they have one or just bring any old broom.

Edited by devilsfan26