Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

+1000. The cap space is there. It won't hamstring the team. Imagine Brodeur in a Leaf or Blackhawk jersey. I never want to see it.

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

No, I don't either. It's a risk, but I'd rather sink with Marty in net than w/ someone else. I just don't see who we could replace him with right now. I certainly don't think Hedberg would fare much better as starter.

I'm fine with Brodeur on a one-year deal. I'm not fine with a 2 year deal. The history of goalies over 40 is pretty awful, and there can't be a real market for Brodeur - there's no need to go to 2 years. Lou can't be negotiating against himself here; Brodeur may be a living legend, but he's also an average goalie.

Edited by Triumph

I don't care if its not the "right" thing to do money or cap wise. I want Brodeur on this team until he finishes. I just hope he plays good enough for whatever the contract is.

I might be more willing to be ok with Marty going elsewhere if there were other goalies out there that were better but I don't see any viable options.

Moose as a full time starter would worry me more.

I can see Marty playing decent, and trying to get another deal as a UFA after this deal expires...lol

If he somehow stays healthy and plays good enough in year two to even consider coming back in year three, then all the people saying this is a bad contract will be wrong.

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

This is exactly how I feel. As a sports fan there are times when I think you have to have emotion trump rational thinking. Brodeur wanted 2 years so I'm glad they are offering it to him.

Likely both, but I would think the 2 year term was probably more of the sticking point than the yearly figure...

But again, Marty wants close to his "market value"....

My guess is Lou went 1 year, 3.5 or something, and then he went to market, got one team to offer two (and there were rumors Chicago was willing to go to 2) so now the Devils have matched or beat it.

I'm fine with Brodeur on a one-year deal. I'm not fine with a 2 year deal. The history of goalies over 40 is pretty awful, and there can't be a real market for Brodeur - there's no need to go to 2 years. Lou can't be negotiating against himself here; Brodeur may be a living legend, but he's also an average goalie.

The only quibble I have with this point is that he hasn't been consistently average. He's been above average (the second halves of the past two seasons and most of last season's playoff run) and below average (the first halves of the last two seasons). I think any contract you give him is a real crapshoot at this point, and I wouldn't have gone past one year myself. He could wind up being pretty good for the next two years, or it could get really ugly for him...the fact is, if the last two seasons are any indication, it's going to be damned near impossible to gauge what Brodeur's going to do until we actually seem him play. Two years is risky as hell.

"Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise."

Per Renaud Lavoie from RDS

Well, guess we'll see if that's true soon enough, but yikes. That definitely sounds like a lifetime achievement contract if there ever was one, because the chances that Marty's going to live up to it seem pretty slim.

The fan in me is happy he's back, because I've always been firmly in his corner, and love what he brought to the Devils for so long.

The GM in me thinks Lou overpaid for him in dollars and term.

The optimist in me hopes he can win about 50 games the next two seasons and look reasonably good doing it.

The pessimist in me worries about it getting ugly for him on the ice...I saw glimpses of the potential for that the past two seasons, and I hope I never see him forced from the game due to his skills flat-out deserting him entirely. There's a part of me that wouldn't have minded seeing him retire this year, as he has nothing left to prove, and would've gone out on a relative high. Two years at which he'll playing at the ages of 40 and 41 are a scary proposition...even if he falls flat on his face, I have more than enough great Marty memories to offset that, but I just don't ever want him to be embarrassed on the ice.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976