You Be Lou

Devils Pride 26

99 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Marty

• Overpay Brodeur to keep him around
    • Let him walk if he is asking too much

You have to "overpay" Marty due to the locker room respect he brings, reward loyalty, etc. Devils have an organization based on the premise that if you buy into the team and their system, you will be rewarded in the future even though it may be strict and cramp your style. I think abandoning Brodeur will be a problem in the locker room. But I wouldn't go more than 1 year. I'd rather "overpay" for one year.

You can't create bad blood with the man who's likeness in a giant mural graces the inside of your arena.

Wheres the third option of pay him fairly?

That would be the extremely easy option and ruin the thread.

I'm a Marty loyalist. I stood by him when everyone was calling for Moose to start Game four in the first round. Marty is the Devils, he is New Jersey. He gets all of our paradoxes with the Rangers and such. Pay him what he wants. FFS, he's one of the reasons the team is still playing in NJ let alone a state of the art arena.

• Like 1

this MAY be a good news in the way that... well first i dont think the ownership is in such a bad shape that we cant get both

we still have to reach the 54.3m floor and if we dont resign Zach OR Marty well im not even sure how we're gonna do it

good point

eventhough i dont want to see Marty in another jersey. If i had to choose between Marty and Zach, of course im picking Zach cause he's our future.

so from that i "guess" we can have a wishful thinking that the organization decided to go with Zach and put everything on him so that Marty's money was restrained since they'll be on a budget so getting an agent was the right move imo since he may have to see options from other team before deciding if he stick with the team for less or go for more.

per TG

My understanding is there will be room for both Parise and Brodeur in Devils' budget, but Parise is first piece of the puzzle.

ahhh... well wtv lol

Edited by SterioDesign

Normally I'd say overpay him whatever he wants but with our financial uncertainty I think he should be a little more understanding.

Then give him a nice job with a fat paycheck doing whatever he wants after he retires.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I am going to comment as an outsider here. I am a fan of hockey and always have liked the Devils (all of my goalie gear is based off of the Devils colours). However as a person growing up with the Devils not being MY team, I don't wear any rose coloured glasses towards a franchise hero on the Devils.

Marty is 40 and he needs help (as in reduced playing time) to be effective come seasons end. With his current abilities, not based on his legacy, he isn't a top tier goalie. In the past, you'd maybe overpay to keep your "Legend" player nearing the end of their career, but in today's word with salary caps & financial issues plaguing the team, it isn't a no brainer anymore. I believe there are goalies available today which are better for a similar or smaller cap hit. Some of these goalie are also ones that could have a future here, whereas Mary has 1 maybe 2 years left?

Sometimes the team has to make choices that are unpopular with local fans. Those fans will be upset for a while, but provided the team is playing well it will be forgiven/forgotten.

IMHO, The Devils would be best off with the Mary/Moose tandem and them splitting time 50/32, but Marty shouldn't be overpaid and I think it looks poorly on him that he would want that as it doesn't have the team's interest at heart.

if Marty goes to another team and not just retire, it'll be a big blow to the morale in the locker room. Sure re-signing Zach will make up for it, but Marty is one of our best-known faces. It just wouldn't be right to play against him. Don't let him pull a Roy

I'd rather give Marty one year at $5 million than two years at $2.5...but yeah I'd lean toward the side of overpaying too. Mainly because I wouldn't be able to stomach our idiot fans saying you suck and doing the Marty chant against him when whoever he went to comes in next season.