Which Defenseman(men) Ae Getting Traded?

Daniel

Assuming Fayne eventually gets re-signed, we have eight defensemen under contract, not to mention that at least two of either Merrill, Urbom and Gelinas should be NHL ready within the next two years.

Volchenkov is an obvious candidate, although the NTC makes things difficult. I've also heard that Yzerman likes Andy Greene. Zidlicky and Tallinder also possibilities. Only ones that aren't going anywhere immediately are Larsson and Sal, and perhaps Fayne.

My hope is that whoever goes, we get a good, but not necessarily great prospect and a second round pick. Lou should act pretty quickly though. The playoff run and bare UFA defenseman market means we'd be selling high.

It's times like these you wish Mike Milbury were still around.

Greene's contract is too perfect. I can't see Fayne. I think Anton would be the prime candidate, but obvs that NTC is going to be an albatross.

I don't see Zidlicky unless we're out of it by the trading deadline. He's got one year left and lobbied hard to come here + he's 35 and has an NMC. He led us in ice time since he basically arrived as well.

I think the only real candidates are Volchenkov and Tallinder.

And if we did trade Tallinder, I don't think we'd get much for him. We're also very close to the salary floor right now, so unless Zach re-signs or someone with at least a nominal salary is brought in, I cant see anyone being traded unless we're taking on salary.

Id not be surprised at all if we ride till next offseason and Zids and Harrold are both UFA.

Don't forget we've still got a guy like Tao to throw into something. He and Tedenby might return something decent.

He's currently UFA and is not a lock to come back.

Edited by ghdi

And if we did trade Tallinder, I don't think we'd get much for him. We're also very close to the salary floor right now, so unless Zach re-signs or someone with at least a nominal salary is brought in, I cant see anyone being traded.

Id not be surprised at all if we ride till next offseason and Zids and Harrold are both UFA.

He's currently UFA and is not a lock to come back.

Coming off a Stanley Cup run then just riding it out the next season is no way to manage a team.

Coming off a Stanley Cup run then just riding it out the next season is no way to manage a team.

We just re-signed a bunch of guys. 8 to be exact, 9 including Fayne, 10 if we bring back Sykora.

Its impossible to guess at this point on potential trades because we don't know the roster for next season yet.

If we go into next season right at the floor, that's going to limit potential trades unless we take on salary, which will diminish any return we get for whomever we trade. We'd have to take on someone's contractual trash just to pull it off. The sort of sh!t the Islanders do.

Obviously this is assuming we dont have Zach. If we have Zach, then trades are a much easier thing to talk about. If we include Fayne's money right now, we're barely a million above the floor. Bring back Sykora, we can barely trade Tallinder without going below it.

We just re-signed a bunch of guys. 8 to be exact, 9 including Fayne, 10 if we bring back Sykora.

Its impossible to guess at this point on potential trades because we don't know the roster for next season yet.

If we go into next season right at the floor, that's going to limit potential trades unless we take on salary, which will diminish any return we get for whomever we trade. We'd have to take on someone's contractual trash just to pull it off. The sort of sh!t the Islanders do.

Obviously this is assuming we dont have Zach. If we have Zach, then trades are a much easier thing to talk about. If we include Fayne's money right now, we're barely a million above the floor. Bring back Sykora, we can barely trade Tallinder without going below it.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of icing a team that can be competitive from the get go.

We're looking at icing 4 lines of:

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique

Elias-Zubrus-Sykora

Clarkson-?-?

Bernier-Gionta-Carter

That CBGB line should stay together but the lack of being able to dress anyone else could split them up.

The next thing you know you're dressing Cam Janssen every game and having guys like Elias and Kovy playing monster minutes.

Tallinder for a third-line winger or draft pick.

Tallinder. This should be rather obvious.

this is simply crazy talk. he is the best defenseman the devils have. his contract is a good one.

i simply hate that we have to have this discussion because of this ludicrous signing but it happened and we're here.

i agree that volchenkov makes the most sense to move but there are several issues with that:

1) his NTC. i'm not convinced he'd waive it to go anywhere besides ottawa, NYR - neither teams that need him.

2) he doesn't have great value. that's not to say that he is a poor player and his contract is bad per se. he's not and it's not. but there aren't a lot of teams that would take it and him.

3) this is a negative to kovalchuk. they are close and you'd be taking the one russian on the team away from him.

i think it's greene that will go. he will bring the most back in trade. again, its unfortunate that we're at this point but oh well.

this is simply crazy talk. he is the best defenseman the devils have. his contract is a good one.

i simply hate that we have to have this discussion because of this ludicrous signing but it happened and we're here.

i agree that volchenkov makes the most sense to move but there are several issues with that:

1) his NTC. i'm not convinced he'd waive it to go anywhere besides ottawa, NYR - neither teams that need him.

2) he doesn't have great value. that's not to say that he is a poor player and his contract is bad per se. he's not and it's not. but there aren't a lot of teams that would take it and him.

3) this is a negative to kovalchuk. they are close and you'd be taking the one russian on the team away from him.

i think it's greene that will go. he will bring the most back in trade. again, its unfortunate that we're at this point but oh well.

I'm sure Kovy would be okay. We have other Eastern Europeans on this team. Zubrus can also speak Russian.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of icing a team that can be competitive from the get go.

We're looking at icing 4 lines of:

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique

Elias-Zubrus-Sykora

Clarkson-?-?

Bernier-Gionta-Carter

That CBGB line should stay together but the lack of being able to dress anyone else could split them up.

The next thing you know you're dressing Cam Janssen every game and having guys like Elias and Kovy playing monster minutes.

I understand that, but its going to be hard to make a deal if Zach isn't re-signed because we're not going to be far from the salary cap floor. Lou will have to take on more salary and Im sure he realizes that. Sykora will not get a huge contract and we'll be at best 2-3 million above the floor if he's re-signed and Fayne's money is computed.

One of those ? is almost assuredly Tedenby. You've also completely forgotten about Josefson.

Its just really hard to even guess right now which way this team will go if Zach isn't re-signed. We're not going to be a bad team going forward if all we brought on was Sykora.

Edited by ghdi

I understand that, but its going to be hard to make a deal if Zach isn't re-signed because we're not going to be far from the salary cap floor. Lou will have to take on more salary and Im sure he realizes that. Sykora will not get a huge contract and we'll be at best 2-3 million above the floor if he's re-signed and Fayne's money is computed.

One of those ? is almost assuredly Tedenby. You've also completely forgotten about Josefson.

Oh yeah. I always forget Glass Josefson.

Sykora's problem is that he'll burn out like halfway through the season. It's about getting younger. The only two guys in their "old age" worth a spot would have been Jagr or would be Selanne.

lol Fayne's the best defenseman (but that hardly matters since everyone's pretty much an interchangeable flock of d-men at this point) and Tallinder has been a bit star-crossed since getting here. Plus Tallinder's older and was probably going to be shipped out next year anyway when one of the kids was ready. Trading one of the few under-30 d-men on the team in Greene doesn't make much sense right now.

It's probably a moot discussion cause Lou doesn't do anything before he has to - his elongated coaching searches and the way he did nothing when we needed to get under the cap after Kovygate proves that. Everyone's staying until Fayne gets healthy then maybe Tallinder gets dealt off for a pick, if one of the other d-men isn't already hurt by then.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We're not going to be a bad team going forward if all we brought on was Sykora.

Again, Sykora is not fit to handle a full season and we don't want to make the mistake of giving guys like Kovy and Elias big minutes because Sykora is tired and we have a questionable line with Josefson-Clarkson and Tedenby.

All that double shifting because of Janssen and Boulton really bit us in the arse.

Oh yeah. I always forget Glass Josefson.

Sykora's problem is that he'll burn out like halfway through the season. It's about getting younger. The only two guys in their "old age" worth a spot would have been Jagr or would be Selanne.

We're not getting any decent young guys off UFA. The only one even worth kicking tires on is really Semin, if not Zach. And Semin will likely be pricey, but if we lose Zach, its something to consider.

Expect status quo if we lose Zach. Maybe one other guy, but it wont be anything worth getting fired up about. I think its Zach or riding out what we have with Tedenby getting a shot. Hell, maybe we take a shot at Huselius on the super cheap if he's gotten healthy.

Kovy - Zajac - Zubrus

Elias - Henrique - Sykora

Huselius - Josefson - Clarky

CBGB

Again, Sykora is not fit to handle a full season and we don't want to make the mistake of giving guys like Kovy and Elias big minutes because Sykora is tired and we have a questionable line with Josefson-Clarkson and Tedenby.

All that double shifting because of Janssen and Boulton really bit us in the arse.

Theres really not a lot out there. And if we're a floor team, we've gotta make a trade and take on someone's contractual trash. Zach leaving hurts our depth, but it will not kill this team. We were a good team in the 2nd half of 09-10 without Zach and without Henrique, it was just too little, too late. Until we see the final roster its impossible to guess anything here. Maybe our financial crap is overblown and we re-sign Zach and another guy. Everything is on Zach right now.

I don't think theres anyone on the UFA market outside of Zach or Semin that will help this team very much unless we got a surprise performance out of someone.

Edited by ghdi

The problem with the Devils trading Dmen is they have a "no name" defense. I don't see any way they get a proper return for their talent. Trading Tallinder after his blood clot seems like a sell low move to me also. Possibly the cup run made some GM somewhere covet a player like Greene or Fayne. Larsson would obviously have the greatest return but I doubt anyone wants to go down that road.

Devils might end up sticking with 8 dmen due to Fayne's injury then consider a trade at the deadline if everyone's healthy. They might even explore playing Harrold at wing.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I honestly think no one makes more sense than Greene at this point. On top of his big cap hit, I don't think Volchenkov's value is high enough at the moment to get a decent return. Zidlicky's offensive skills are too important to give up. Salvador's staying because of his leadership and loyalty to the team. Larsson is untouchable, as is Fayne imo. Tallinder is arguably the best defenseman on the Devils at the moment, has a good contract, and is Swedish which can help the young Swede crew. I love Greene, but he will be both the easiest to trade. He'll likely bring in a good return as well.

I don't think Greene would bring back Gagner, but I wonder if using Greene as a centerpiece of a trade with EDM could get the Devils Paajarvi. There are a lot of interesting forwards on that team. As many have said, they would be an ideal trading partner.

If wonder what a package of Greene, Urbom, and a 2nd rounder could get us. Maybe even add Tedenby.

If we fail to re-sign Parise I would strongly chase either Semin in FA, or make a good package deal for Ryan.

I think Tallinder will be traded though, hes making less then 4M and he doesn't have a NTC/NMC and he is still a good middle pairing guy.