Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

NewarkDevil5

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2012/7/6/3140121/should-the-new-jersey-devils-consider-going-after-alexander-semin

Now, Semin has this reputation of being an offensive player. He certainly can fly. Semin's shot is fantastic and he's got hands to match. He's not small either at 6'2" and 209 pounds. He may not use that size to bang, but I don't think you want him to do that anyway. In terms of tools, Semin has almost everything you would want in a scoring winger.

However, the production hasn't always followed with the skillset. The following numbers are from NHL.com:

Season GP G A Pts SOG S% PPG PPA PIM

2007-08 63 26 16 42 185 14.1 10 10 54

2008-09 62 34 45 79 223 15.2 8 22 77

2009-10 73 40 44 84 278 14.4 8 19 66

2010-11 65 28 26 54 196 14.3 6 12 71

2011-12 77 21 33 54 183 11.5 2 9 56

When people point to the fact that Semin can be as productive as Parise once was, they're likely recalling 2008-09 and 2009-10. Semin was racking up the points, he made things happen on what was an excellent power play, and he was just bombing shots on net. So he missed quite a few games, he still justified his position. However, the last two seasons tell a more cautionary tale. His point production dropped, both overall and on the power play. The power play numbers falling in 2010-11 may be a result of the Washington power play not always killing it; but an overall drop of 30 points raises an eyebrow. He played more games last season and still managed at the same total. As a partial quick defense, his total of 54 points was the second most on the team in 2011-12.

Obviously the whole article is much longer and more detailed, but I'm curious what people on this board think of Semin and if we want him here? Would his play style fit with DeBoer's system? With the longterm, ridiculous contracts being thrown out recently is there any scenario that wouldn't wind up with us having an albatross of a contract with him later on?

He definitely feels like more of a risk than Parise, but should come a lot cheaper. 5 or 6 years and $30-36 million seems fair, though a guy like him might be better off signing a two-year deal (or even a one-year) in the hopes of returning to his previous form...if he did that AND had a couple of solid playoffs, he'd be looking at something closer to Parise-money after his two-year deal ended...probably not quite as much as Zach, but he could undo a lot of what's been said about him (fair and unfair) with two great seasons.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Alex Semin speculation thread number 6? :koolaid:

i would go as high as 5/32 for him and be quite happy. this is a good player. if his name was joey canadachuk from moose jaw, he'd be looking at offers of 8/50.

:rofl:

Edited by Zubie#8

Semin gets a lot more flak than he deserves. He's an elite winger and in the right environment he can be better than Parise. Are we the right environment? No way to know until we try it, but I would definitely not balk at getting him to try it out. If we can make Kovalchuk into a player's player, then we should be able to get something nice out of Semin, especially with a fellow Russian superstar on the team already. I agree with CR1976 that we should aim for a 2 year deal.

Semin gets a lot more flak than he deserves. He's an elite winger and in the right environment he can be better than Parise. Are we the right environment? No way to know until we try it, but I would definitely not balk at getting him to try it out. If we can make Kovalchuk into a player's player, then we should be able to get something nice out of Semin, especially with a fellow Russian superstar on the team already. I agree with CR1976 that we should aim for a 2 year deal.

He can also be talked to by Zubrus and Volchenkov. We have a friendly Russian environment here.

Edit: He actually played with Zubrus in 2003-2004

Edited by Zubie#8

For a 50-55 point a year player: $3.5 million a year for 2 years.

C'mon dude...for one, he's had much more productive seasons than that, and they weren't very long ago, and he still has talent. He's getting at least $6 million or so per year from someone. Brandon friggin' Dubinsky's making $4 million a year for the next three seasons.

Like I said, he's an interesting case, in that he could decide the long-term offers he gets might not be that great, so he maybe he rolls the dice, and instead of taking guaranteed money for 5-6 years, he signs something like a 2-year, $13 million deal, plays above the value of that deal, then gets a bigger long-term contract than he would right now.

Kovy-Malkin-Semin

Wake up from wet dream

I see what you did there.

P.S. Semin is the kind of guy who is perfect for the Devils. No important off-ice issues, just effort issues apparently and not everyone agrees. NJ is the kind of place to turn that around. Kovy had a very similar meaningless negative perception about him when he came here and could be a great partner for Semin.

Edited by ben00rs

C'mon dude...for one, he's had much more productive seasons than that, and they weren't very long ago, and he still has talent. He's getting at least $6 million or so per year from someone. Brandon friggin' Dubinsky's making $4 million a year for the next three seasons.

Like I said, he's an interesting case, in that he could decide the long-term offers he gets might not be that great, so he maybe he rolls the dice, and instead of taking guaranteed money for 5-6 years, he signs something like a 2-year, $13 million deal, plays above the value of that deal, then gets a bigger long-term contract than he would right now.

That is the point, he has HAD more productive seasons. Scott Gomez has had more productive seasons.

His last two seasons has had 54 points on a team that is offensivley aggressive, he is not reaching anywhere near his past seasons playing for the Devils.

That is the point, he has HAD more productive seasons. Scott Gomez has had more productive seasons.

His last two seasons has had 54 points on a team that is offensivley aggressive, he is not reaching anywhere near his past seasons playing for the Devils.

Not last season under both Boudreau and Hunter. That entire year was focused on a more defensive system. Washington was in the middle of the pack for goals forced.

I agree with many others that he can thrive in our system.

Edited by Zubie#8

54 points in 77 games last year. +9

54 points in 64 games in 10-11. +22.

That is not a bad ratio at all. The Caps weren't a very good team last year either. The entire team took a step back. Ovechkin was a - player last year (-8). Semin was a + player last year.

Here's a good article on Semin from a Sharks fan's perspective with more on his Corsi #'s and such. Your constant bellyaching about him and his point totals is misleading.

As for the widely-held concerns regarding Semin's attitude...at the end of the day, the team that scores more goals wins the game which isn't necessarily the team that works harder, has more "heart" or out-hustles the other. Semin might have a tendency to take shifts off and his propensity for offensive-zone penalties is concerning but he contributes to outscoring the opposition to a greater degree than pretty much anyone else in the league and that's really all that should matter.

Do I think he's worth 7 million per? No. But on a short term deal Id consider it.

oh wow man, it's like you looked at his stat sheet and decided everything about how good he is. The Caps shifted to a more defensive style the past season. Semin is entering the prime of his career and has the talent to be a 70-80 point player at best. His all around game according to posters in the know is also nothing to just breeze over.

You gotta drop the ridiculous comments about Semin being worth 3 million dollars and basing his play level on point production. That is so inexperienced.

Definitely think NJ should be interested enough to check the price tag.

With the drop off to 54 pts two seasons in a row, he really shouldn't command 6million per season but I know it's not the real world in the NHL..

I assume he has had to have had some offers since July 1 - which means perhaps no one is offering that 6 mill or at least no where he is interested in going.

If I were NJ GM and Semin was interested in NJ ... I'd start with 5 yr $25 mill offer, with incentives to increase his wallet