Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

NewarkDevil5

Some guy on twitter asked Dmitry Chesnokov "is Semin is going to sign in the KHL?" And Chesnokov twitted back "nope" so at least he will be signing with an NHL team. Regardless is he signs with the devils or not it wud be annoying if after all the wait he left the league.

In general, replacing players with free agents is a terrible solution. Free agents are normally a bad buy, and they're especially a bad buy when you're off panicking because you lost a top player.

AMEN. Thank-you Tri.

If that is the case, I want some of what he is smoking! I would love to see the Devils sign him at a cap hit of $6-7/Mill per year for 4 or 5 years. Seems like Mr. Semin should pack his bags for Russia and head to the K....

Semin is NOT getting anywhere close to $8 million a season in the NHL. There is NO GM that would give him this.

Regardless is he signs with the devils or not it wud be annoying if after all the wait he left the league.

Who cares then? If he decides to go to Russia, more power to him. I'd rather him go to Russia than sign with Pittsburgh.

Who cares then? If he decides to go to Russia, more power to him. I'd rather him go to Russia than sign with Pittsburgh.

Because its good for the league to have a player of his caliber on a team. Whatever team gets him will market him and sell more tickets. And then just from a GM standpoint, it seems like several GMs are just waiting to see what this guy is going to do. If he just bolts to the KHL he wasted everyones time.

Because its good for the league to have a player of his caliber on a team. Whatever team gets him will market him and sell more tickets. And then just from a GM standpoint, it seems like several GMs are just waiting to see what this guy is going to do. If he just bolts to the KHL he wasted everyones time.

Oh c'mon. The most prominent rumored teams to be in on him are Detroit and Pittsburgh, neither of whom would market him alone or need him to sell tickets. That reason would be more for a bad team that has trouble with attendance and its unlikely he goes to a cellar dwelling team. The guy also speaks very little English, which would limit his marketability on his own. Who cares if he's wasting an NHL GM's time? There isnt much of a UFA market right now, so there's really no rush for Semin to decide anything. I'd much rather see him go to the KHL than go to a team in our division. IMO we need him more than any of those teams, and if hes not going to come here, then I hope he goes to Russia.

I think if we can sign semin for 1 year 6.6 mil or 2 years like 13 mil I would do it. He has the talent and look at his numbers yes they dropped off but it was the system and coach kinda let the players run the team and there wasn't discipline. Look at ovechkins numbers they dropped too. Its cause they switched to the defensive system. Semin would be abgreat fit and I don't really think his attitude will be too much of a problem but just in case sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal. After seeing what parise got and know he is the only big name on the market he will want at east 6.5 mil and hell get it. We are lime 16 mil under the cap or something according to cap geek so we have money to spend. I would just be weary of signing him long term. Lets give him a trial contract first. But we have players in our system we coukd use as well and dmen we can trade so there aare deffinetly more options.

Interesting article:

http://sports.nation...lexander-semin/

Mark Gandler answers the phone, but does not want to talk. What’s the point, he says. “The poison is out and I can’t take it back.”

The player agent is referring to the negative publicity surrounding his client Alex Semin, who remains unsigned despite being the most talented free agent available this summer. It all began on July 1, when analysts Marc Crawford and Pierre McGuire took turns shovelling dirt on Semin during TSN’s live broadcast, alternately calling him “a loser” and “the ultimate coach killer.”

“Since I was there, he bought into what I was trying to preach,” former Capitals head coach Dale Hunter said. “We even had him blocking shots. I had no problem there whatsoever.”

I think the villains here are McGuire and Crawford - it was classless what they did. It seemed like it was for personal vendetta and now they're hurting a person's livelihood. I for one have especially had enough of Pierre McGuire for one lifetime.

Edited by ben00rs

Interesting article:

http://sports.nation...lexander-semin/

I think the villains here are McGuire and Crawford - it was classless what they did. It seemed like it was for personal vendetta and now they're hurting a person's livelihood. I for one have especially had enough of Pierre McGuire for one lifetime.

NHL scouting is so incredibly in depth and thorough, that I doubt any team is putting much stock in what two TSN schmucks say...good or bad. But yes, I think we've all had enough of Pierre.

If Lou foresees a fairly lengthy lockout I would like him to be very conservative this summer. There will be plenty of bargains to be had very cheap following the lockout or signing of a new CBA. Teams close to the cap long term will have a harder time filling out the roster with .500 players with a rollback.

If Lou foresees a fairly lengthy lockout I would like him to be very conservative this summer. There will be plenty of bargains to be had very cheap following the lockout or signing of a new CBA. Teams close to the cap long term will have a harder time filling out the roster with .500 players with a rollback.

I think were in for a lofty lockout if that's the case here.

NHL scouting is so incredibly in depth and thorough, that I doubt any team is putting much stock in what two TSN schmucks say...good or bad.

Scouting? His agent isn't saying that teams think he lacks in the skill dept. His agent pretty much just said it straight out that the, "Poison is out." It might not be just Pierre and Marc he's referring to but he's saying that kind of stuff is hurting.

I just want to take a little issue with the whole real salary vs cap hit thing. Yes I understand we'll probably not be spending up to the actual salary cap, but fact is that their "real salary" payroll according to capgeek is $58.18 million vs. $54.783 million caphit. I don't think $3.4 million in overage is really killing them to the point where it makes the difference between another elite player or not. Obviously it doesn't because they were offering decent money to Zach Parise.

Scouting? His agent isn't saying that teams think he lacks in the skill dept. His agent pretty much just said it straight out that the, "Poison is out." It might not be just Pierre and Marc he's referring to but he's saying that kind of stuff is hurting.

Not referring to skill; more along the lines of work ethic and in-game determination. Obviously, what goes on in the locker room isn't necessarily their department, but I would have to think that the inner circles of every team's hockey operations group (GMs, scouts, etc) are privy to better information than McGuire; even if he makes himself out to be the most exclusive hockey insider.

he want 2 years 10 millions

perfect deal for us not long not that risky the guy could be lethal for us

get it doen

Get it Doan? giggle.gif